Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Did the noisemaker delete. Am I nuts or does throttle response improve?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:55 AM
ArchetypeJCW
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the noisemaker delete. Am I nuts or does throttle response improve?

Ok, I am nuts but, has anyone experienced throttle response improvement with this mod?

Thanks!

Jack

Old 03-16-2012, 10:07 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What exactly were you trying to achieve by doing that? And is it a big notice in the increase?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 AM
ArchetypeJCW
2nd Gear
I was removing the added piping in of engine noise from the engine compartment to the passenger compartment. I didn't want something making my car articificially louder.

Also, if there was any efficiencies to be gained by removing this section of piping from the cars system I thought I'd pick that up too. I didn't count on throttle response seeming to be a bit crisper. It seems like it improved to me. I'd like to hear if any other's that did the mod (I know plenty have) experienced anything similar.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you buy a brand name pipe or did you just get a pipe cut at say an exhaust shop?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:30 AM
ArchetypeJCW
2nd Gear
The pipe is just typical intake hose. You caould fabricate your own or use an expansion plug as some people have done.

I took the easy route. I bought Defenders of Speed noisemaker delete kit. $30.00. Which is basically a very small piece of hose that has a plug tightly fitted in it. All you need to do is remove the whole noisemaker pipe assembly from your car (pretty easy) and then replace the pipe assembly with the DOS "termination" hose. It goes on and is secured using normal hose clamps. It is very straight forward.

You could easily do it without directions. However, I need to give kudo's to DOS. The directions they sent with REAL PICTURES of them doing the install step by step were some of the best I've ever seen. Good Job Guys!

Jack

Old 03-19-2012, 07:57 AM
fullymooned
3rd Gear
Does it actually reduce the cabin noise?
Originally Posted by ArchetypeJCW
The pipe is just typical intake hose. You caould fabricate your own or use an expansion plug as some people have done.

I took the easy route. I bought Defenders of Speed noisemaker delete kit. $30.00. Which is basically a very small piece of hose that has a plug tightly fitted in it. All you need to do is remove the whole noisemaker pipe assembly from your car (pretty easy) and then replace the pipe assembly with the DOS "termination" hose. It goes on and is secured using normal hose clamps. It is very straight forward.

You could easily do it without directions. However, I need to give kudo's to DOS. The directions they sent with REAL PICTURES of them doing the install step by step were some of the best I've ever seen. Good Job Guys!

Jack

Old 03-19-2012, 08:10 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys... The noisemaker is a sealed unit and works much like a speaker: the pressure in the pipe causes the end of the tube to reasonate and "create noise".

I am doubtful it really affects the throttle response, since there should be no loss in air-pressure. And I guess it only really does make noise when the turbo is spooling hard.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:31 AM
ArchetypeJCW
2nd Gear
I wouldn't expect any difference in the throttle response either. However, it seems like there is one to me. Maybe...it's just the noise reduction helping the motor sound "right" upon rev....I don't know.

As far as noise reduction goes....the answer is definitively yes. And, it is a noticeable reduction.

Jack

Old 03-19-2012, 10:15 AM
fullymooned
3rd Gear
I wouldn't expect any difference in the throttle response either. However, it seems like there is one to me. Maybe...it's just the noise reduction helping the motor sound "right" upon rev....I don't know.

As far as noise reduction goes....the answer is definitively yes. And, it is a noticeable reduction.

Jack
Is this across all RPM's that you notice a noise reduction? Or just the red lines. I am looking into purchasing this mod if it actually reduces cabin noise.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:15 PM
ArchetypeJCW
2nd Gear
It reduces the cabin noise from idle all the way to redline. There is a device that literally pipes in engine noise to the passenger compartment from the factory. The thinking behind this was to make the car sound more sporty. It is a significant and noticeable reduction at all engine speeds including idle.

That said, our cars are noisy cars by nature vs. typcial modern day cars. There is tire noise, etc. This mod will not change that and in fact you may notice the tire noise a little more now that the engine isn't drowning it out. If you are looking to quiet the car down some this is a VERY cheap and worthwhile mod.

Check out:

Defenders of Speed "Noisemaker Delete"

Old 03-19-2012, 12:18 PM
fullymooned
3rd Gear
It reduces the cabin noise from idle all the way to redline. There is a device that literally pipes in engine noise to the passenger compartment from the factory. The thinking behind this was to make the car sound more sporty. It is a significant and noticeable reduction at all engine speeds including idle.

That said, our cars are noisy cars by nature vs. typcial modern day cars. There is tire noise, etc. This mod will not change that and in fact you may notice the tire noise a little more now that the engine isn't drowning it out. If you are looking to quiet the car down some this is a VERY cheap and worthwhile mod.

Check out:

Defenders of Speed "Noisemaker Delete"
I do want to just quite the car down a bit. I will give this a shot. My mini rattles and shakes quite a bit on cold start and this should help with the noise. Is this an easy mod?

Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM
ArchetypeJCW
2nd Gear
It's not going to help with the rattling and shaking. Welcome to mini's....hahaha.

However, it will help with overall engine noise. I think you will like the mod from your comments. It is very easy to do. The only irritating part is removing the hose clamps to remove the noise maker. You need to back them way out and there is not much room to work in. So, it's a little bit of a pain.

However, I would say it's an easy mod overall and the instructions DOS provides are very clear and complete.

Jack

Old 03-19-2012, 12:50 PM
fullymooned
3rd Gear
Thanks. Just placed an order for it. As you can see from my sig, I dont have too many mods. I think the rought idle and shake may just be because of the NM Torque Insert.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:47 PM
ArchetypeJCW
2nd Gear
The NM Torque insert is probably one of the best "bang for buck" mods I think. It does communicate a little more vibration to the cabin but, I think it's pretty tolerable.....probably a lot of people that don't know anything changed wouldn't feel the difference. If you have something more dramatic than that I would say you may have something else going on.

Good Luck with the Noisemaker Delete Mod!!!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:46 PM
ktmini
1st Gear
When I took off the noise maker, it goes into the firewall, but I dont think it goes into the cabin. You can see where it goes into, the gap where the windshield wiper is. If it makes noise, it's only audible standing next to the car. Since the pipe does not route to the cabin, I do not think the noise difference is noticeable.. When you take out the part that goes into the firewall and put your finger inside, you can see it from the gap between the hood and the windshield.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:52 PM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Why would you all want less noise in the cabin? I <3 the sounds this car makes and want to hear every bit of it!

Old 08-16-2012, 03:57 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by redandblackminis
why would you all want less noise in the cabin? I <3 the sounds this car makes and want to hear every bit of it!
+1

Old 03-25-2013, 06:12 AM
spmahoney78
2nd Gear
I just did this mod on my 2009 R55 and I am very pleased with the results! I went with a homemade version (expansion plug) for less than $10. I should also note that I replaced the stock BOV spring with the upgraded Alta spring from outmotoring.com at the same time. after the two mods I am very happy in all aspects. Better power on demand and throttle response. no added noise but the car sounds good.

I appreciate saving money on mods like these so I can apply it to something like a water to air intercooler

Old 07-01-2014, 10:41 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spmahoney78
I just did this mod on my 2009 R55 and I am very pleased with the results! I went with a homemade version (expansion plug) for less than $10. I should also note that I replaced the stock BOV spring with the upgraded Alta spring from outmotoring.com at the same time. after the two mods I am very happy in all aspects. Better power on demand and throttle response. no added noise but the car sounds good.

I appreciate saving money on mods like these so I can apply it to something like a water to air intercooler
Below are the pics of my home-made noise-maker delete kit with $5 worth of HomeDepot plumbing 1" pipe sleeve and stopper supplies.
Parts: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...212319_528.jpg
Assembled: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...212849_760.jpg
Installed: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...092823_645.jpg

I took noise-maker plumbing out mostly because I was working on the intake regardless. I can't say that I noticed any performance gains or much in the way of noise reduction. OTOH, I do have an open K&N intake kit, and it makes more noise than noise-maker could ever aspire.

HTH,
a

Last edited by afadeev; 07-04-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:51 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
Old 07-03-2014, 03:17 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Jean Claude van...!

Sent from my Nexus using NAMotoring

Old 07-07-2014, 12:47 PM
broncobuddha