Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Anyone getting the MCS MC40?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 03:51 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just heard of this special addition, yet don't know much about it. It appears to have a CF dash, aux gauges (I wonder which ones), and a 3-spoke steering wheel, among other items...

Old 02-05-2004, 03:55 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridger has more details about this model.

Old 02-05-2004, 04:00 PM
buz
3rd Gear
Read about the MC 40 on the NAM home page. Also, great photos and discusion at
BRIDGER.us/MINI/

Old 02-05-2004, 04:08 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I figured some of you guys would be all over it! The Bridger link is what I was seeking. I get so immersed in my MINI, I sometimes fail to look-up and see what's coming down the pike Thanks!

Old 02-05-2004, 04:10 PM
countrym
6th Gear
There's also another thread about it here.

I wish I could get one. I really like the idea of a limited edition model like this.

I'd add the JCWorks kit too, to make it the definitive factory MCS. :smile:

Old 02-05-2004, 04:20 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
It's.... not4me.

I'm totally....under-whelmed.

Peace,
D

Old 02-05-2004, 04:39 PM
modmanmini
2nd Gear
$27k for a few flimsy magnetic numbers, plus heavy R90's?, and a carbon fiber dash? Seems kinda high. Remember a stock MCS is $19k. If it had the works package maybe, but alas it does not. Still good for the factory to pay homage to the cars history.

cheers, jason

Old 02-05-2004, 07:43 PM
BlueMCS
5th Gear
How embarrassing!!!!!

These boys are working very hard to destroy a brand that has developed itself with a unique design and lots of nostalgic momentum...not through their mediocre advertising campaign and lifeless, overpriced upgrade packages.

However, I think they are the first to offer a removable Meatball in the under $30k Sport Sedan class. The rest was obviously spec'd on EBay. I think they also include the resistor upgrade for the ECU.

Shame, shame, shame.

:evil:

Old 02-05-2004, 08:28 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
>>It's.... not4me.
>>
>>I'm totally....under-whelmed.
>>
>>Peace,
>>D
>>

I gotta agree with d. Pretty pricey for a trim package. I know it has the ltd.ed. cachet, but that's a lot of cash-et for cachet. 'Cept for the chrome bits, the (exteraneous, IMHO) gauges, decals, steering wheel and wheels, my car's pretty much the same (sports pckge, xenon,leather seating, DSC, etc...yup, got 'em). You can get all the stuff they put on that car already, including the magnetic decals.

Old 02-05-2004, 08:35 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of control marketing department...

Old 02-05-2004, 08:49 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Is this a JCW too? I think it's pretty cool...think 40 years from now....collector's dream Poo pooing on your Mini creators again, eh

Old 02-05-2004, 08:50 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Not a JCW. Engine is stock COOPER S: 163 HP.

Old 02-05-2004, 08:52 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Oh....that is steep...but still a good collectors item if you can wait 40 years for a return

Old 02-05-2004, 08:54 PM
dandp
6th Gear
Any of you familiar with the Leica brand of cameras? They release special edition versions of their rangefinder cameras frequently. Limited numbers, at times costing 20-50% of the standard issue model. Only diffferences are availability, and cosmetice features for the most part. Same idea here (both German companies as well) Regardless of whether or not one agrees with the value or validity of the model, it is introduced in an extremely limited number. One is not paying for performance in this case, it's cosmetic only as MINI plays off of the rally heritage. And yes, you can get all the stuff they put on the car, but it won't matter unless you have the paperwork and numbered plate to go with it.

Old 02-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's some background info on the MC40: http://www.bridger.us/mini/?Y=2004&M...yBehindTheMC40

Old 02-05-2004, 10:28 PM
slangager
3rd Gear
Not a great encore to the JC Works car........In fact the JC Works car at least had some substance for the premium. I have to agree......Looks like a poser Ebay car.

Old 02-06-2004, 05:17 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear

Mini did a terrible job playing off the rally heritage. The same color car and a few magnetic numbers does not do it justice. In fact, I think it is almost a slap in the face. I really wish they would have played off the racing aspect. I would have liked to have seen a stripped down model (i.e. no A/C, no radio, no electric windows no rear seats, removal of some sound deading...), a carbon fiber hood, a new limited edition wing, and some lightened wheels (12lb Mini wheels) on the car, and ralley lights. Also the JCW exhaust would have been nice. These items would have kept the car about the same price, made it a little more exclusive, since you can't order the car this way, and given it a little more of a race trim. An extra 5hp/cool tone from the exhaust and about 300 lbs in weight savings would have been cool.

Old 02-06-2004, 05:21 AM
fueledbymetal
3rd Gear
>>I have to agree......Looks like a poser Ebay car.

Yep. Pretty lame for the price.

Old 02-06-2004, 06:02 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did BMW/MINI hire some of the old Pontiac ad men? This thing reminds me of a "special edition" Trans-Am, substituting a MC Rally sticker for the screaming chicken. Still, I'm sure that they will sell them all, and that in ten or fifteen years time, we'll be able to buy one of these with less than 500 miles on it.

Old 02-06-2004, 06:19 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
>>
>>
>>I would have liked to have seen a stripped down model (i.e. no A/C, no radio, no electric windows no rear seats, removal of some sound deading...), a carbon fiber hood, a new limited edition wing, and some lightened wheels (12lb Mini wheels) on the car, and ralley lights. Also the JCW exhaust would have been nice.

No way that was going to happen. Almost 10 years ago, BMW listened to the enthusiasts and built the M3 Lightweight just like that. (Very stripped down, no A/C, no radio, lightweight panels, some extra performance parts and in very limited numbers.) The dealers couldn't sell them. Some cars stayed on the dealers' lots more than 2 years.

Time will tell whether or not JCW cars or MC40 cars will bring a premium over a "run of the mill" MINI Cooper S. But for now, for me, what you get isn't worth what you have to pay.

Old 02-06-2004, 07:51 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
I think the whole thing is really lame and i would never buy one. The only think i like are the wheels and the carbon fiber dash. I hate the seats, i hate the shift ****, I hate the decals, I hate the emblems,...and anything else i forgot to mention...i hate that too.

So I wonder how much for the carbon fiber dash trim pieces???

Old 02-06-2004, 01:25 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
So two the car has been out two day, about 80 various posts about this car across the various threads, and no one has mentioned that they are going to buy one. Hmmmm!

I have a feeling it will be a large percentage of new/first-time buyers of the car purchasing this vehicle.

I really want to see the markup of this car. Anyone see one, let us know. Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:39 PM
C4
Banned
Someone from our local group has expressed strong interest in it. He currently drives a very nice '02 MCS. Since my '04 CR/W MCS almost looks identical to the MC40, I am sort of partial to it, but I think MINIUSA could have done a better job in pulling this one off. My idea of the "perfect" MC40 would have been a bare bones MCS with just the JCW kit installed. That would have been the hot ticket. Ok fine the meatballs, stickers , etc are not for everyone (At least the numbers can be removed as they are magnets) but I fell the car could have done well without the R90's, the Xenons, Leather seats, CF dash, trip computer etc.

Based on what I have been reading in Bridger this car was almost put together at the last minute but I don't like the over emphasis in cosmetics without putting the best MINI has to offer under the hood given the price: Thier JCW 200Hp kit.

If the MC40 was a $21K car, I would not mind it, after all it is still a stock MCS. But when you brake the $25K barrier and dangerously approach the $30K price barrier with what essentially is a VPC tarted up MCS, then we have a problem.

The MC40 will sell well and probably all 1K spots will be taken by the end of next week. There is people for everything in this life.

If I had waited 3 months more to get my MCS I would have been interested in the MC40, but most certainly not for $27K.

I LOVE my very own "MC40" MINI for which I paid $21.7K before taxes and has some very nice goodies not even included in the MC40 price scheme.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:46 PM
Storer
5th Gear
One of the pics on Bridger shows a Works insignia...?

Old 02-06-2004, 02:05 PM
RaceCarDriver
3rd Gear
I'm not impressed with the MCS40. This will probably be the first (unless you count the JCW) in a long line of special additions.

If this was the one and only MCS special addition, then yes, it maybe worth a little more one day. If every year they are going to come out with another special addition, it won't be worth squat.

Look at the Mustang, they came out with a Cobra R in 2000, then in 2001 the Bullit Mustang and then in 02 & 03 the Mach I. The first year or so, people paid through the nose to get one and now they aren't worth much more than a regular GT.

Look at the Mazda Miata, they have a hundred special additions over the years? Are they worth anything more? No, of course not.

I'm keeping my 03 MCS.

RaceCarDriver

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Anyone getting the MCS MC40?