Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Increased turbo lag

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Increased turbo lag

The weather was warm, not hot while I made multiple auto cross runs in a row. I noticed increasing turbo lag as I when on. After lunch it was better.
Did I experience MINI's small intercooler? Or does my MINI need to go into the dealer for something before the warranty runs out?
If it is the IC, will spraying it down between runs help?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:50 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini2na
The weather was warm, not hot while I made multiple auto cross runs in a row. I noticed increasing turbo lag as I when on. After lunch it was better.
Did I experience MINI's small intercooler? Or does my MINI need to go into the dealer for something before the warranty runs out?
If it is the IC, will spraying it down between runs help?
That's not turbo lag....thats just you feeling powerloss from the IC getting heatsoaked.

Spraying the IC will help for a few seconds, but you really need an FMIC

Old 07-18-2011, 01:32 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Alternately, or in addition, a methanol injection system will cool things down pretty fast too.

In the mean time, of if you don't want to go that far, you can as suggested above get a spray bottle and put in washer fluid (winter formula is 50/50 meth) and spray the outside of the intercooler before your run. The evaporation will do wonders for the heat as it evaporates. Just soak it before the run and it should help. I am not sure about how much is too much (as in it clogs the fins for a while) but I have to figure it should evaporate pretty fast and take lots of heat with it.