Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Introducing the ALTA BOV Spring Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:08 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Just buy more stuff from them, the spring weighs almost nothing and won't add to the cost of shipping, if you buy a bunch of stuff.
It'd be like free shipping for the spring!

Dave

Old 05-17-2011, 09:26 AM
minimike21
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boinnnggg!!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:19 AM
fazagra
Neutral
Does the spring increase the sound of the whoosh when you change gears?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 06-09-2011, 11:07 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fazagra
Does the spring increase the sound of the whoosh when you change gears?

Fazagra,

The BOV spring doesn't change the sound of the BOV. The spring closes the valve quicker, which helps the car build boost after shifts and you get back on the gas. Thanks!

Old 06-10-2011, 01:34 PM
MattyKHZ
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sk8dave88
Consider yourselves lucky i was quoted $58.74 for USPS shipping to the UK!
I had a Helix short shift sent via jiffy envelope from Outmotoring for $1.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:32 PM
snyderminis
1st Gear
If anyone from allentown pa area wants spring i have one paid 25 plus shipping i never took it out of box will sell for 20 hit me up if interested

Old 06-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Dek766
2nd Gear
Does this spring affect the sound of the stock BOV?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:08 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Fazagra,

The BOV spring doesn't change the sound of the BOV. The spring closes the valve quicker, which helps the car build boost after shifts and you get back on the gas. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 PM
woodster
1st Gear
Spring installed tonight

Installed my stiffy BOV spring tonight on my Stage 1 2009 JCW with AccessPort.

The install was quite an adventure, I recommend waiting for the engine to cool...:-(

Anyway, initial impressions are very positive. It does exactly what it was designed for and does it well. If you hit the throttle hard and row through the gears you can definitely feel more power available immediately after you let out the clutch. I haven't tested a 0-60 run yet but it feels like I can get there quicker with the new spring since the shift from 1st to 2nd feels more powerful.

Oh, and since I ordered it with other items I don't feel any of the sting from the cost of shipping. That said, if I had to order it by itself I still would, it's that good.

Nice job Alta!

Old 06-22-2011, 05:07 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by woodster

The install was quite an adventure, I recommend waiting for the engine to cool...:-(

Anyway, initial impressions are very positive. It does exactly what it was designed for and does it well. If you hit the throttle hard and row through the gears you can definitely feel more power available immediately after you let out the clutch. I haven't tested a 0-60 run yet but it feels like I can get there quicker with the new spring since the shift from 1st to 2nd feels more powerful.

Oh, and since I ordered it with other items I don't feel any of the sting from the cost of shipping. That said, if I had to order it by itself I still would, it's that good.

Nice job Alta!
Thank you Woodster!!! Appreciate the feedback and of course for the business!

Let me know if I can help in the future!

Adam
ALTA Performance

Old 04-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Zmefly
2nd Gear
Hey Dallas, good talking to you today. I'm hoping that it was a fluke, since it hasn't happened before, so if you get that code again, let me know, and I'll take a look at some datalogs and see what could be causing the problem.
Chris, I installed the spring about a month ago and today on the way into work I went to pass a slow car and got the SES light and major decrease in power. Left this evening and in traffic the light went out. As soon as I got some room I got on it a little and the light came on and loss of power. Limped it home and put the AP on it and got the same code as Dallas (above). Was there a fix for this? Should I go back to stock spring?

Thanks,
Jayme

Old 04-27-2012, 04:41 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Jayme,

Did you get a 2885 code? What other parts are installed in your car? If it's just the spring, check the install to make sure there aren't any leaks. If there is, that could cause the car to overboost, and give the same symptoms that you're seeing.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Zmefly
2nd Gear
Jayme,

Did you get a 2885 code? What other parts are installed in your car? If it's just the spring, check the install to make sure there aren't any leaks. If there is, that could cause the car to overboost, and give the same symptoms that you're seeing.
Chris,
I only have BOV spring, alta AP, and Helix FMIC. The codes are as follows: P2F37, P2D52, P2DCC, P28AA. How do I check for leaks?

Old 04-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Zmefly
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Zmefly
Chris,
I only have BOV spring, alta AP, and Helix FMIC. The codes are as follows: P2F37, P2D52, P2DCC, P28AA. How do I check for leaks?
Found the problem. Anybody ever seen a BOV do this?? Any ideas on what would cause this?

Name:  a284843e.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  104.5 KB

Name:  23b7cda6.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  109.6 KB

Old 04-30-2012, 09:41 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Oh no! That is one of the newest problems we are starting to see with these BOV's.

The diaphragm rips, or the plastic fails, then causes a sharp edge to rip the diaphragm. Then you get a boost leak which messes up the "Load" the ECU sees and then CEL's arise. We have a new part we have been shipping out to testers (For about 6 months now) and it virtually eliminates this problem. It also does eliminate the electronic CRV and some of the other problems that happen with it when it sticks or just doesn't work.

If you are interested in this, we can make a special deal for you, but give us a ring to explain the part a little more.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:06 AM
MINIutia
3rd Gear
I had this problem (twice), the Alta piece eliminated my failures.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Zmefly
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
Oh no! That is one of the newest problems we are starting to see with these BOV's.

The diaphragm rips, or the plastic fails, then causes a sharp edge to rip the diaphragm. Then you get a boost leak which messes up the "Load" the ECU sees and then CEL's arise. We have a new part we have been shipping out to testers (For about 6 months now) and it virtually eliminates this problem. It also does eliminate the electronic CRV and some of the other problems that happen with it when it sticks or just doesn't work.

If you are interested in this, we can make a special deal for you, but give us a ring to explain the part a little more.

Yeah, I'm game. I will call you in a bit.

Thanks,
Jayme

Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 PM
ThePro
2nd Gear
Oh, I NEED this now.. I'm glad to see it up here, after hearing about it over the phone from You guys. Keep it up! :D

Old 06-05-2012, 12:12 PM
chuckdiesel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by woodster

Nice job Alta!
What's your impression with it during "easy" driving? Meaning, not ripping through gears and getting through the power band in 5s.

My wife tends to drive mine around town and wouldn't want something requires "special technique".

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:31 PM
chuckdiesel
2nd Gear

What are the (if any) previously detected issues with this upgrade? You referrenced "newest."

Is this component still in development? I don't see it listed on your site.
Is the thought offer it up as a kit (spring + diaphram replacement)?

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Zmefly
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chuckdiesel
What are the (if any) previously detected issues with this upgrade? You referrenced "newest."
He said "...newest problems with these BOV's." meaning OEM BOVs.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Zmefly
2nd Gear
The new Alta part solved all issues I was having regarding the BOV, BTW. Even seems to idol better.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Mical
4th Gear
You can go to these guys https://www.oxspeed.com/app/site/mai...F-E13AFEEFFB29
and get spring for $10 + shipping ($5.00)

Old 06-05-2012, 03:34 PM
chuckdiesel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Zmefly
The new Alta part solved all issues I was having regarding the BOV, BTW. Even seems to idol better.
Did you receive this as a "tester"? I didn't see it listed on their website.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Introducing the ALTA BOV Spring Upgrade