Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain smog check (aftermarket intake issues)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:01 AM
Jephen19
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smog check (aftermarket intake issues)

I got a smog check done in California and ran into some issues. My MINI, 2004 MCS, passed of course, but the guy running the test asked me about my aftermarket CAI. It's a Green filter, looks like a K&N cone cotton filter. And he also asked about my Alta intake tube. He gave me a break and let it go, but I just want to be on the safe side in case a cop gives me a hard time. Cops in my area are notorious for pulling you over for no reason.

He said they weren't street legal and said they should have a CARB sticker on both of them.

I've emailed Green Filter USA asking if their system is up to CARB and am awaiting their response. But the intake tube... Really?! Does that require a CARB sticker or is it CARB exempt? I read here that ALTA is getting their CAI system CARB certified, hopefully including the tube. Anyone know about that? Some threads even say that the fine print states that CAI systems for MINIs are CARB exempt. Quoted this from another thread:

"Also, Smog Tech.'s should not be making issues out of CAI's on MINI's. They do not affect Throttle Bodie or Air Flow sensor placement. As long as your crank case breather hose is still hooked up , the California Smog Manuel consideres this a "NON-ISSUE""

This is my first modded car so I never had to worry about inspections before.

Last edited by Jephen19; 12-20-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:35 AM
BUGETER
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thank the good Lord I am not living in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:55 AM
Jephen19
2nd Gear
I also found this. Can anyone clarify/confirm this?

Originally Posted by meanboy
Here's an old quote from a thread on smog in CA.

YES, however some smog techs don't read.

Air cleaner assemblies may be altered as long as they are NOT thermostatically controlled and providing all other systems remain intact.

I have this in print in the state smog inspection manual(appendix K).

What fails most cars is the silicon PCV return hose that is supplied with most CIA systems for ricers. If you use the correct type PVC hose you should have no trouble.
On all the CIA systems I have seen for the Mini, this hose is NOT replaced, therefore the stock hose is used and not a problem.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8&page=1&pp=25

I wouldnt worry about a pulley but if you are try to buy a one that looks like a stock one. I am sure most smog techs won't know the difference. I did read somewhere that someone smogged his mcs with a reduc pulley and it passed the smog test in CA.

I don't know about the iginition systems.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:47 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Some of the cai's do come with stickers....
Many folks just revert back to stock for inspections to avoid the hassel...
Goverment run amok...the republic of CA!! Freedom? What freedom!? It's CA!!
Go NH!!
We make our government work on less $$, why don't other states try?!
No sales tax...No income Tax...live free or die!!

Old 12-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Jephen19
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Many folks just revert back to stock for inspections to avoid the hassel...
I would if I could. I bought the car with the CAI already installed. Everything else was stock. Never crossed my mind that it would eventually be an issue.

I guess I have until my next smog to find a stock intake.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 AM
jimzbobs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jephen19
I also found this. Can anyone clarify/confirm this?
that use to be the case but alot of rules changed. they're is no more appendix k. i work in the smog program and anything that was not on the car from the factory or has factory tags for the upgrade or does not have an Executive Order # is considered a fail. Anything that changes the emission performance on the car.

if you have any questions about california smog checks ask ill gladly help you out with the answers.

ps. i am at work right now doing smogs in California.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jephen19
I would if I could. I bought the car with the CAI already installed. Everything else was stock. Never crossed my mind that it would eventually be an issue.

I guess I have until my next smog to find a stock intake.

Or try and find a Dinan intake. They are still a CAI, a good one, but quiet. They also look OEM, and IIRC are CARB cert. But they are discontinued, so it might be hard to find one.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:15 PM
MaxGSeeker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jimzbobs
that use to be the case but alot of rules changed. they're is no more appendix k. i work in the smog program and anything that was not on the car from the factory or has factory tags for the upgrade or does not have an Executive Order # is considered a fail. Anything that changes the emission performance on the car.

if you have any questions about california smog checks ask ill gladly help you out with the answers.

ps. i am at work right now doing smogs in California.
Yea, I have a question. Since these cars with any type of aftermarket intake usually pass the smog test anyway, why does each case require an executive order?

Old 12-24-2010, 09:53 AM
SCVMINI
1st Gear
You need to find a smog tech that deals with high performance autos. I have a CAI and a pulley and a header with the stock CAT and my guy will pass it every time. By the numbers it passes anyway.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:56 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The problem is if he gets the Dinan (I have one and like it) the OP will need the bottom half of the oem airbox, and the intake snorkel that goes to the hood intake...these are usually tossed out...could get them cheap on the marketplace I bet!!

Old 12-24-2010, 01:32 PM
jimzbobs
2nd Gear
The reason is that California has the most strict laws on smog. California is the pioneer of the smog program. These rules are not rules that we follow but actual laws that are implemented into the smog program. California use to have the worst air quality around befor the smog program. We use to have air quality alerts that you could not go outside cause the smog was so thick. So even though the car passes smog with aftermartket equipment with no EO# it does alter the smog performance of the car. The reason for the smog checks is to minimize the amount of pollution your vehicle pollutes. Aftermarket parts have to go through extensive tests to get an EO# on their parts. They have to verify that the parts do not alter the emmision standards of a stock vehicle, so it is cheaper for a parts maker to sell them as off road equipment or not Cali legal or anywhere where they adopted the Cali smog program.

If you want to know what you can put on your cars legally and you live in California go to this website. Www.arb.ca.gov on the left side of the page select aftermarket parts it is highlighted in blue. Scroll down on that page and select by manufacturer and use the scroll down option on what part you would like to look up and hit search. Then use cntrl+f and search mini Cooper or any other car you may own. It will give you a part number and if you scroll up you will see the manufacturer of that part number.

Last edited by jimzbobs; 12-24-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:43 PM
jimzbobs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SCVMINI
You need to find a smog tech that deals with high performance autos. I have a CAI and a pulley and a header with the stock CAT and my guy will pass it every time. By the numbers it passes anyway.
You are talking about smoging a car illegally. That person that you go to can pay a huge fine and prob spend some jail time, he prob knows the risks already. Doesn't matter if the guy works on performance autos. These are laws he is breaking. I get monthly news letters on this stuff and a lot of shops close down loose licensces and more for clean piping cars, this information also has their name and shop name and disciplinary actions. The smog program is nothing to joke about. They have undercover cars with hidden pin size cameras they send to shops to see if they are doing thing legit.

Last edited by jimzbobs; 12-24-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:02 PM
SCVMINI
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jimzbobs
You are talking about smoging a car illegally. That person that you go to can pay a huge fine and prob spend some jail time, he prob knows the risks already. Doesn't matter if the guy works on performance autos. These are laws he is breaking. I get monthly news letters on this stuff and a lot of shops close down loose licensces and more for clean piping cars, this information also has their name and shop name and disciplinary actions. The smog program is nothing to joke about. They have undercover cars with hidden pin size cameras they send to shops to see if they are doing thing legit.
Not my problem as to what my guy does. 35 yrs in the business. My car passes by the numbers. It does not pass the visual inspection. CARB is no hero in my book but just another money stealing branch of the CA government that has little understanding or care for the vehicles they govern.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:47 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SCVMINI
Not my problem as to what my guy does. 35 yrs in the business. My car passes by the numbers. It does not pass the visual inspection. CARB is no hero in my book but just another money stealing branch of the CA government that has little understanding or care for the vehicles they govern.
What I don't understand about the whole CA air rescource board is that other states use Sniffers on you tail pipe (like CO and CT, even on a dyno), and all they want to know is that the tailpipes emissions are clean. If it passes..no need to look further...
A car can look perfect under the hood, and pollute...just another example of how well meaning CA gets it all wrong. Now the state wants a bailout...it is basically bankrupt, and will not cut expenses+ services...go figure.
It is possible to have a clean running car...and be modded, tuned, and run a home-made cai...just not in CA!? So much for liberty! I find it funny that CA has money to pay folks to check the brand of air-filter and ignation coil, but can't pay their bills with anything but IOU's...
It's just a slow motion trainwreck...and we will all get stuck paying for it...
NH...the home of Live Free or Die! No sales tax, No state income tax!! We make our state government do it's thing for less!! Remember, bad government is almost Always the result of too much government!! Originally written by one of our founding fathers!! How right they are!!

Old 12-24-2010, 07:23 PM
MaxGSeeker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
So much for liberty! I find it funny that CA has money to pay folks to check the brand of air-filter and ignation coil, but can't pay their bills with anything but IOU's...
It's just a slow motion trainwreck...and we will all get stuck paying for it...
NH...the home of Live Free or Die! No sales tax, No state income tax!! We make our state government do it's thing for less!! Remember, bad government is almost Always the result of too much government!! Originally written by one of our founding fathers!! How right they are!!
The original smog legislation and enforcement initially led to lower gas mileage, performance and reliability. It is actually a testament to the industry to eventually find a way to advance the technology and comply at the same time. Things like standard fuel injection, engine computers. etc. and better air are benefits now promoted the world over. There will likely be advancement resulting from the fuel economy legislation also, but at a cost. Unfortunately today the California Air Resources is just mis-managed and wasteful like most programs in California. When the priorities get this mis-placed it must be the result of too much government.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:01 PM
SCVMINI
1st Gear
Exactly!!!

Old 12-24-2010, 09:20 PM
steve20607
3rd Gear
TO jimzbobs, I saw somewhere that in CA, the smog testing is now or soon going to be done in a few minutes versus waiting 1/2 hour or more, by simply hooking up the smog computer to the car's electronics (believe it's the OBD's location), any truth or comments on that and how that might affect us that are running just CAI's and pulley's and a Milltek (in my case, that's it for the mods).

I have gone to just regular old smog stations and so far, always passed. I'm up for the bi-annual this coming April.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:17 AM
luseboy
3rd Gear
Haven't had to smog my car yet... only had it since june. But will it pass with my alta silicon intercooler couplers? they're red, so im assuming not I plan to swap the CAI out for the stock box, and change what ever else out for stock that i have at that point. Question though, i heard that if you have a cat-back exhaust, it will still pass, because it doesn't matter as long as it's after the cat? true, or false? hah

Old 12-27-2010, 07:31 AM
jjones374572
1st Gear
I had my 2003 R53 smog checked in October. The smog computer was hooked up to the OBD. The test period only took 5 to 10 minutes. Prior to the test I asked for a visual inspection. The car has a DDM CAI and an Invidia catback exhaust. My point is to ask the fellow doing the smog check to do a visual before the car enters the garage.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:43 PM
kazlot
4th Gear

Originally Posted by luseboy
Haven't had to smog my car yet... only had it since june. But will it pass with my alta silicon intercooler couplers? they're red, so im assuming not I plan to swap the CAI out for the stock box, and change what ever else out for stock that i have at that point. Question though, i heard that if you have a cat-back exhaust, it will still pass, because it doesn't matter as long as it's after the cat? true, or false? hah
True. Cat-Back exhaust will pass in California.

Hope this helps...

Old 12-27-2010, 04:10 PM
checkers
5th Gear
Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
I thought a smog check had to do with tail pipe emission? What diffrence would it make if you have a cai or anything else for that matter as long as the car meets emission.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:30 AM
luseboy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kazlot
True. Cat-Back exhaust will pass in California.

Hope this helps...
Awesome, good to know! Im thinking i will do an exhaust soon, i might opt for doing a one-ball sooner rather than later though, as i want to focus on suspension for the time being. Thanks!

@checkers: In california, as far as i'm aware (this is my first car, and i haven't owned it long enough to have to smog it) smog is for the actual emissions, and C.A.R.B. is also required, which involves a visual check and i believe an obd2 scan... if i'm correct.

another two quick questions: if you have a tune on your car, will it not pass the obd scan? and will i need to swap out my alta intercooler couplers for the stock ones? they're red, so im assuming the visual inspector won't like that...

Old 12-28-2010, 05:05 PM
kazlot
4th Gear

another two quick questions: if you have a tune on your car, will it not pass the obd scan? and will i need to swap out my alta intercooler couplers for the stock ones? they're red, so im assuming the visual inspector won't like that...
I don't believe the obd scan can detect a tune.
Normally cars that have been tuned pass the tailpipe test well within the acceptable range.
I would like to think Alta couplers shouldn't matter but...

Hope this helps...

Old 12-31-2010, 04:01 AM
Jephen19
2nd Gear
Awesome, good to know! Im thinking i will do an exhaust soon, i might opt for doing a one-ball sooner rather than later though, as i want to focus on suspension for the time being. Thanks!

@checkers: In california, as far as i'm aware (this is my first car, and i haven't owned it long enough to have to smog it) smog is for the actual emissions, and C.A.R.B. is also required, which involves a visual check and i believe an obd2 scan... if i'm correct.

Technically, it is part of the air induction system so it isn't legal. Apparently the Alta CAI tube I have installed is not CA legal either, even though it's pretty much a cosmetic-only mod. I'd play it safe and swap those intercooler couplers out.

I don't know about the tune. It hasn't come up in my recent research into smog on these forums. I'd be interested to know though; I plan on getting a tune sometime in the near future.

I need to replace my current CAI with the CARB certified K&N CAI. I guess I have another two years to find one on the marketplace. Or a stock system to swap for that matter.

Last edited by Jephen19; 12-31-2010 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:04 PM
jimzbobs
2nd Gear
no a tune will not fail your car, unless it is outside of the measurements that the car is suppose to within.

@steve20607.. they're been talks about changing how we smog cars but it will require an obd II plug in and a visual inspection. it will no longer test for tail pipe emissions though.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain smog check (aftermarket intake issues)