Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain blow off valve for supercharged mini?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:34 PM
zachsa
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blow off valve for supercharged mini?

just curious on what you guys think about putting a bov on a superchrged mini....i no its not needed and would probably slow you down..but just curious..

Old 09-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 09-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, the bypass valve doesn't work exactly like a turbo BOV, so you won't get that too-cool-for-school sound. Try mods that'll accentuate the supercharger whine instead.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:30 AM
zachsa
2nd Gear
like the undersized supercharger pully, bypass valve, intake, and exhaust? yea already done... guees i just miss my r56...but is it possible to run a bov without messing up the car?

Old 09-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by zachsa
... guees i just miss my r56..
Wow, that's a first.

A BOV for an R53 would be quite difficult to package and set up.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:04 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It wouldn't work out that good, the vented air from the bypass needs to be plumbed back in post throttle body and pre S/C. I went over this with Jan and a couple others a while back.

Now what would work and provide a little more noise from the bypass is moving the T-body as close to the intake as possible. (Lots of cut and paste, plus extending the wiring and other issues) Making a custom flange on the post I/C side bullhorn to accept a blowoff valve that is recirculation compatible and plumbing it back into the system right after the T-body. (Lots more welding) in the end it wouldnt be of much benefit to a street car just a lot of time and money invested into something different. Even if it did gain any performance over stock it would just be : no posibilities of a yo yo effect (EVER) and maby if you used some smooth aluminum tube from the T-body to the inlet of the S/C it might pick up 1-2 HP from geting rid of some of the odd shaped pices BMW decided to make our intake systems from.

Sorry to disappoint you, but there really isnt much of a plus side to doing all this.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:27 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by zachsa
guees i just miss my r56...
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
Wow, that's a first.
Hahahaha amen.

I for one miss my 53....and have strongly considered going back to a 53. There are a few GP's for sale that really are teasing me....

Old 09-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Longboard110
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Hahahaha amen.

I for one miss my 53....and have strongly considered going back to a 53. There are a few GP's for sale that really are teasing me....
There was, it may still be available, a GP in Santa Cruz CA for $21,900 and the price has been dropping.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:26 PM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys need to checkout minitorque in the uk one of the time atack guys Brownpants has done this mod with great results.
And a company in the uk minikraft are going into production with this mod.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:55 PM
zachsa
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by #Dragon#
You guys need to checkout minitorque in the uk one of the time atack guys Brownpants has done this mod with great results.
And a company in the uk minikraft are going into production with this mod.

this? kinda makes since...

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f24/...-dt-bpv-13894/

Old 09-25-2010, 05:10 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
I have spoken to BROWNPANTS about his setup, and it works amasingly. He does use a BOV set up that is recirculated after the throttle body, on a custom front mount I/C setup. I have a couple pics of his setup but I am on a public computer right now, I will post the best one when I get home Monday.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Mister E
2nd Gear
Get one of those personal audio recording devices and then stare at the sun for a while until you sneeze. Right the "AAAHHHHH" part of the sneeze hit record. Repeat if desired, the timing will be tricky. Once you have a suitable recording, wire a speaker under your hood to the device, and then with some creative soldering and wiring, make it so that the play button is pressed whenever your throttle is let go. Should work.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:56 AM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mister E
Get one of those personal audio recording devices and then stare at the sun for a while until you sneeze. Right the "AAAHHHHH" part of the sneeze hit record. Repeat if desired, the timing will be tricky. Once you have a suitable recording, wire a speaker under your hood to the device, and then with some creative soldering and wiring, make it so that the play button is pressed whenever your throttle is let go. Should work.

Hope this helps.
The bov on brownpants car is used to increase boost not sound.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by #Dragon#
The bov on brownpants car is used to increase boost not sound.
The OP wanted his for sound. And after reading about Brownparts setup, it is still a technically a BPV, just using a better valve from a BOV. BOVs by definition, vent the boost out of the intake track. His recycles it.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:26 AM
firenewt
4th Gear
If sound is all he wants, maybe something like this
http://www.turbowhistler.net/blow-off-valve/index.htm or maybe this
http://www.akamoto.co.uk/dump-valve.asp
There used to be a lot on ebay so it wouldn't hurt to check there.

Just funnun you.

Kevin

Old 09-27-2010, 09:55 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
OK so the OP is SOL if all he wants is a BOV sound. Our cars are supercharged not turbo, and the wasted air needs to be recirculated or the pressure in the S/C will not equilize at idle, and BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN.

DO NOT attepmt to run with any sort of bypass or blow off or diverter (etc.) valve vented to the atmosphere on a supercharged (some centriffigul's its ok) car, its not worth an engine rebuild to make a noise. As far as the sound goes it wouldnt even sound the way you think it would. Nothing like a turboed cars BOV, more like a big air leak at idle.

Not living up to my name here, just from all the research I have done and what others HAVE done, its not worth it.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:16 AM
KC Jr 54
4th Gear
For what it is worth, my DT BPV holds boost juuuuuust fine up to 18psi. Even being an "antique design that is flawed and will loss boost."

Old 08-09-2014, 12:51 PM
mallthus
Neutral
Sorry to resurect an old thread, but here's my 2¢...

My previous turbo cars (all Saabs) had dump valves from the factory. They were of the recirculating type, putting the released air back into the intake. This keeps the MAF sensor happy, as there's just the right amount of air passing it.

I was surprised to learn our SC MINIs didn't have some sort of dump valve already. That said, the plumbing is so tight that it'd be hard to put one in that'd work properly.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:28 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mallthus
Sorry to resurect an old thread, but here's my 2¢...

My previous turbo cars (all Saabs) had dump valves from the factory. They were of the recirculating type, putting the released air back into the intake. This keeps the MAF sensor happy, as there's just the right amount of air passing it.

I was surprised to learn our SC MINIs didn't have some sort of dump valve already. That said, the plumbing is so tight that ait'd be hard to put one in that'd work properly.
You might want to learn more about supercharged cars...
The sc is connected to the crankshaft....not the exaust...
So a bv is not only not needed, but a waste...motor slows...so does the sc at the same rate...same for increase....unlike a turbo where there is a lag due to using exaust ....
We do have a bypass valve which unloads the sc at low rpms whenboost is not needed....

Old 08-09-2014, 05:19 PM
mallthus
Neutral
Thanks

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
You might want to learn more about supercharged cars...
The sc is connected to the crankshaft....not the exaust...
So a bv is not only not needed, but a waste...motor slows...so does the sc at the same rate...same for increase....unlike a turbo where there is a lag due to using exaust ....
We do have a bypass valve which unloads the sc at low rpms whenboost is not needed....
I'm keenly aware of how a supercharger works (and a turbo as well). My interest came from the fact that our S/C motors do not have a traditional blow off valve. Most forced induction systems have them because the vanes do sometimes produce more boost than the engine is set up to accept. Clearly that role is being filled by the bypass on our motors. Now I've got to figure out how the bypass on our cars differs from a recirculating dump valve.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
No roots type SC motors have blow off valves because the boost is tied to RPMs and vacuum. They can't overboost like turbos. The bypass valve 'dumps' air when off throttle - no sense having boost when you're not pressing the go pedal.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:04 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
No roots type SC motors have blow off valves because the boost is tied to RPMs and vacuum. They can't overboost like turbos. The bypass valve 'dumps' air when off throttle - no sense having boost when you're not pressing the go pedal.
Could not have said it better!!