Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Time to mod the mini!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 01:15 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to mod the mini!

At the moment I've got about $1500 to spend on the mini and I've got a few things on my mind.

Here's what I currently have done to the car.
1. NM springs
2. Exhaust Depot catback
3. Ghetto Intake
4. Tenzo Type R 17x7 wheels w/ Hankook Evo V12's (205/45/17)

Heres what I'm considering
1. New wheels + tires (Rota MC 18x8 w/ 215/40 for a minor stretch). Only reason i don't want to do that is i don't want to get those without coils, it won't look right IMO.
2. Alta Access Port. (I kind of want to wait a little bit on the tune though to see if everybody running the tune don't have any problems.)
3. Downpipe : won't get it w/o the tune b/c i don't want a CEL
4. Coilovers. Vmaxx or Megan, i've heard good things about both BUT if i get Vmaxx i'll have money for a tune

Any combonation of the above works as long as it comes out to $1500. Any suggestions? BTW wasn't too sure about what section this thread should go in, so i posted here.

Last edited by DNadar; 09-08-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:39 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Change the shocks. HD's or FSD's. By far the biggest change to the handling you can get. You already have good springs. Then a stiffer rear sway bar. You did not say what tires you are running. They are the other half of the suspension. Finally have the alignment set for as much negative camber as it will adjust to. With this, the car will be far faster than you are. If you have money left over, take a driving lesson at your local track.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tvrgeek
Change the shocks. HD's or FSD's. By far the biggest change to the handling you can get. You already have good springs. Then a stiffer rear sway bar. You did not say what tires you are running. They are the other half of the suspension. Finally have the alignment set for as much negative camber as it will adjust to. With this, the car will be far faster than you are. If you have money left over, take a driving lesson at your local track.

Tires are the only thing that touches the ground always buy good one!

Old 09-08-2010, 01:54 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear
Shocks would improve my handling, BUT i want to go lower, hence why I want coilovers. I'm running Hankook V12's (205/45/17). My current handling setup is more than enough for me as I'm not big on tracking the car.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:58 PM
MDL8440
1st Gear
Ok maybe it's just me but you should probably spend the college financial aid on, oh I don't know, college living expenses.

Although if you insist I would get the tune.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
lol +2 forgot the whole top of the post since im in the career world... forget how fast the time goes by

Old 09-08-2010, 02:03 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear
I work and live with my parents. That isn't all of my aid, I'm keeping more on the side for living expenses. My college expenses are basically covered and I've got more on the side to cushion. I'm also saving enough for the summer semester since that isn't included in my scholarship.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
plain and simple a tune will get you the most gains period... the other stuff helps but the tune will get you the most differences.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:46 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DNadar
Heres what I'm considering
1. New wheels + tires (Rota MC 18x8 w/ 215/40 for a minor stretch). Only reason i don't want to do that is i don't want to get those without coils, it won't look right IMO.
2. Alta Access Port. (I kind of want to wait a little bit on the tune though to see if everybody running the tune don't have any problems.)
3. Downpipe : won't get it w/o the tune b/c i don't want a CEL
4. Coilovers. Vmaxx or Megan, i've heard good things about both BUT if i get Vmaxx i'll have money for a tune

Any combonation of the above works as long as it comes out to $1500. Any suggestions? BTW wasn't too sure about what section this thread should go in, so i posted here.
You already have nice wheels and good tires, don't switch and waste money.

I'd get the dp and tune. But that's because I like to go fast...

Coilovers would be a good option, and it sounds like you just want them to be able to go lower (for looks I'm assuming)...which is about all the Vmaxx are good for. If I was gonna spend $1500 on c/o's, I'd get KW V1's.

So, I vote DP and tune! Or even better save the money, for when you're out of college and can't find a frickin job worth your time cuz the economy is crap and will be wishing you had $1500 laying around. (Like me and every other recent grad I know....)

Old 09-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Yeah.ThatsRice.
3rd Gear
I'm also in college, it's my last semester. I say screw saving if you live with your parents, the money we make now isn't even worth saving! I vote DP and a tune.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
You already have nice wheels and good tires, don't switch and waste money.

I'd get the dp and tune. But that's because I like to go fast...

Coilovers would be a good option, and it sounds like you just want them to be able to go lower (for looks I'm assuming)...which is about all the Vmaxx are good for. If I was gonna spend $1500 on c/o's, I'd get KW V1's.

So, I vote DP and tune! Or even better save the money, for when you're out of college and can't find a frickin job worth your time cuz the economy is crap and will be wishing you had $1500 laying around. (Like me and every other recent grad I know....)

IT is where its at...

Old 09-08-2010, 06:39 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear
Alright DP and a tune sounds promising... but what's wrong with riss racings website? Seems like they have the highest quality catless downpipe.

And do you guys know if the alta tune eliminates the catless CEL's?? I know they said its capable of doing so BUT my question is right out of the box does it?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah.ThatsRice.
3rd Gear
Riss, in my opinion (and from what I have seen), isn't worth the dough. The o2 sim hasn't been reliable, so any catless dp will throw a code. The weld quality on some of the downpipes I have seen aren't all that great... Someone else might have an opinion though.

OBX is super cheap, the quality is okay, but it won't match up to stock exhaust.

ED is a great option, but you'll have to modify your lower heat shield or get rid of it all together.

Ragazzon is a European company, and people have had great luck with their downpipes here. I guess getting them is a PITA because you have to wire money directly (sounds sketchy, it's not), it is the best bang for the buck in terms of catless downpipes. Right now you can get one for under 250 shipped.

I say go with Ragazzon, but that's just me.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:20 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear
ED is good quality, I've spent a lot of time at their shop when they were in Orlando. But I remember Mark (OrangeCrush) saying he ran into problems with the DP coming off of the turbo. Something about it not having a lower brace that the factory DP had.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:23 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DNadar
Alright DP and a tune sounds promising... but what's wrong with riss racings website? Seems like they have the highest quality catless downpipe.

And do you guys know if the alta tune eliminates the catless CEL's?? I know they said its capable of doing so BUT my question is right out of the box does it?
Riss racing is not around anymore...they screwed a lot of people.

I'd just have someone make you a custom one...especially if you are going catless, it shouldnt be hard to do.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Yeah.ThatsRice.
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Riss racing is not around anymore...they screwed a lot of people.

I'd just have someone make you a custom one...especially if you are going catless, it shouldnt be hard to do.
From what I have heard (I am by NO means a fabricator or welder) the factory flanges are a pita to copy. If not, I think this would be a great option. I'm not sure of any exhaust shops in my area (that have ANY sort of decent reputation) that would do this.

I still say Ragazzon is the best bang for the buck. They sound awesome with an aftermarket catback, or they can hook straight up to the stock exhaust. The sound is comparable to the sex that comes out of the back of an sti.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:08 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear
I've already got sti sex comin out the back since the only things keepin it quiet are the cat and a single magnaflow resonator (exhaust depot setup). Downpipe will make it pretty ridiculous, in a good way.

Oh and the website where you order the ragazzon is confusing the **** out of me. I can't read french, lol. I got to the point where i've made my account with them and they've sent me instructions on how to pay. From there i'm lost.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:08 AM
Yeah.ThatsRice.
3rd Gear
Hahaha, yeah. You need to go to your bank and give them the websites bank information, they will directly wire the money. There is a thread on here about it, if you need to, PM one of the guys who went through the process.

The set-up with the catless pipe will be LOUUUUUUD. Like LEO on your *** all of the time loud…

So yeah, ridiculous in a good way

Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Way at Way Motor Works also sells a downpipe now. Catless or catted... you choose. I'm not sure if Exhaust Depot has completed their move yet but Way's products and service are great.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:33 AM
DNadar
3rd Gear
WMW one costs about $425 catless and w/o ceramic coating. Way too expensive IMO

Old 09-09-2010, 01:03 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cat-less is illegal. It is also of no real use as the turbo is tuned to compensate for losses in the exhaust. It just has more boost. Cat-less down pipe is a race, WOT item only.

I still say shocks as the OEM ones are horrid. Rough and ill handling. I am talking street poise, not track. The suspension has very limited travel. Unless you are replacing the mounting points, you can't drop it more than the springs you already have. If I were to buy coilovers, I would pick the PSS9's and then the V2's. Cheap ones will cost you a lot more money in the long run. It will drive better on the street with just HD's for a third of the price.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:50 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Cat-less is illegal. It is also of no real use as the turbo is tuned to compensate for losses in the exhaust. It just has more boost. Cat-less down pipe is a race, WOT item only.

here we go....

Old 09-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Yeah.ThatsRice.
3rd Gear
Man. I already trolled saying that, but this is a decent thread. So go to the OBX downpipe thread if you want to do that, I already trolled the **** out of it.

But to the point. I particularly like how you said "It is also of no real use…" "…is a race, WOT item only."

Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 PM
DNadar
3rd Gear

I still say shocks as the OEM ones are horrid. Rough and ill handling. I am talking street poise, not track. The suspension has very limited travel. Unless you are replacing the mounting points, you can't drop it more than the springs you already have. If I were to buy coilovers, I would pick the PSS9's and then the V2's. Cheap ones will cost you a lot more money in the long run. It will drive better on the street with just HD's for a third of the price.
In the state of Florida, any modification to your exhaust is illegal. So my current setup is already illegal, not a big deal if I add to it. Also smog here in Florida isn't much of a problem.

I'm 19. While ride comfort is important, I can handle the bumpiness of Vmaxx coils. I'm not getting coils for the track. I'm getting them simply to go lower than springs can.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah.ThatsRice.
3rd Gear
VMaxx over V2's any day if stance is all you care about. The price is unbeatable for what you're trying to do.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Time to mod the mini!