Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Installed Alta's AP... my impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:03 AM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xtreme416
With the increased power and 10+ lbs increase in boost (from what I've read here in this thread), how will the Cooper S internals hold up? Is it safe to keep the engine internals stock or should we be considering upgrades (pistons, rods, etc)
Originally Posted by New2MeMiniS
I would be interested to hear comments on xtreme16's question about the internals holding to such a large increase in boost.
It has been previously posted by Jeff that the boost/power levels that are attained with the ALTA tune are well within the engine tolerance levels. Sorry I've briefly looked for the post but I'm running out of time to track it down at the moment.

EDIT: I also should have mentioned that the RMW tune on a stage 3 non-JCW MINI gives the max boost amounts as the ALTA tune for a stage 3 non-JCW MINI. I got 20 PSI boost with an RMW tune and I get 20 PSI boost with my ALTA tune.

Last edited by SimpsonGI; 08-26-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:13 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorMouth

I just dynoed my mini. it read 219 HP. You say nice, but not real impressive? Try the 267lbs of torque I'm getting at the wheels. THAT is impressive.
Let's see, your pretty close to my WHP, but have 67 lbs more at the wheels.........weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee .

Sounds like it's waaaay worth $800 .

Old 08-26-2010, 08:55 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xtreme416
With the increased power and 10+ lbs increase in boost (from what I've read here in this thread), how will the Cooper S internals hold up? Is it safe to keep the engine internals stock or should we be considering upgrades (pistons, rods, etc)
Jeff is on the track this morning, so I will help you guys out with this question.

For sure the stock internals will be able to hold up with anything being pushed from the stock turbo.

We have even installed a slightly larger turbo on a R56S the car in the past and did quite a bit of testing, and the internals held up great!

Old 08-26-2010, 09:35 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
your statement only proves you have no idea what this alta tune does. Don't let 15hp number deceive you. There is a TON more torque and drive-ability is great. The car is substantially stronger.

It is hard to raise the HP numbers on a turbo MINI. Torque is the name of the game with our cars.

What the AP tune did to my MINI is most definitely worth $800.

I just dynoed my mini. it read 219 HP. You say nice, but not real impressive? Try the 267lbs of torque I'm getting at the wheels. THAT is impressive.
Yes, BUT......you have a JCW, I just have an S....

My car would go from 168 to 183 hp, and to about 200 torques, decent no doubt, but would I spend $800 to get there? That's the part I'm debating with myself.....

And 219 hp is very impressive to me, along with 267 torques, which is a lot! If I could get to your numbers for $800, I'd be all over it!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:09 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Yes, BUT......you have a JCW, I just have an S....

My car would go from 168 to 183 hp, and to about 200 torques, decent no doubt, but would I spend $800 to get there? That's the part I'm debating with myself.....
I think you'd be seeing much bigger numbers than you just quoted.

Look at the first dyno in this thread - it's for a stock S w/the tune.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rt-thread.html

Old 08-26-2010, 10:18 AM
phlash
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
+1... no, make it +5
very, very interested in that also.......I want to talk or hear from folks that have flogged the daylights out of as one would do on a track all weekend doing instructor groups, and TT runs/sessions, etc....back to back...temp info, water and intake readings, A/F readings throughout the day.....tranny feel after a weekend of it, etc, etc, etc......watching this closely....

Old 08-26-2010, 10:35 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Mark is at the track right now, and will give us his feedback within the next several days!

Old 08-26-2010, 11:55 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
I'd also like to know if the recalibrations automatically take into consideration octane, for example if I can only buy 91 here in KC but can fill up with 100 once I get to the track, will I see an improvement over the levels I was getting with 91?

I'm still intrigued by this whole thing......

We came this close to doing a GIAC for our Audi twin turbo when we got it in 2004, but decided it was too expensive and possibly way too expensive if something blew - like the tranny.

What would this do to your MINI warranty if your engine or tranny blew up, for example? Would it give them an "out" to deny coverage?

Also, I didn't get one thing clear - does the unit have to stay plugged in, or is it used to load the program and then disconnected?

Last edited by MINIdave; 08-26-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Are there any dyno graphs available to compare against a MCS with a JCW Tune? Almost all the graphs I've seen (unless I overlooked something) is comparing against a stock JCW or stock MCS.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:46 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
minidave - the unit unplugs after you load the tune. you can leave it connected if you want to use it's various gauges or data logging capability.

Warranty? Anything that adds 50-100 lbs of torque is a very valid reason to deny warranty claims on the drive train.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:55 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Well, here it is in a nutshell....

I'm not opposed to spending money on the mini (as proven by spending 4K for the front seats and 1K on the rear seats ) so for me to drop another 800 bucks on a tuning tool is okay AS LONG AS IT WORKS!!!!

I don't want to **** anyway any more money than the next guy for something useless and I do realize I've only had the tuner on the car for a few days but I for one, am very happy with the results I have seen so far.

I think once I've done the track days and dyno runs, I think the icing on the cake will be increased gas mileage. I'll know that shortly.

I would never recommend something like this to someone else for fear of looking like a fool unless I thought it was worth it.

For you that have basically the same tune I have, you won't feel the difference as someone that simply doesn't have a tune. We've already got great HP/TQ readings and IMO, the AP tune only makes it better.

Can you imagine someone that has a mini with no tune on it and getting this? I'd pay big bucks to be a fly in their car just to watch the stupid grin on their face.

If your tune has a few driveability issues, you'll end those.... that much I can say.

Any increased HP/TQ is just gravy after that.

Mark
I will let you know how big my stupid grin was when I get mine. I am amazed at how fast the stock MCS is, I can't wait to feel the power of the tuned car. It is going to be great fun..... I can see blue and red in my rear view mirror already...

Old 08-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Yeah.ThatsRice.
3rd Gear
MINIdave - I'm not sure if they have done it yet, but Alta COULD give you a tune for 91 AND 100, so when track day comes you can switch to the 100 octane tune.

And I'm unsure if MINI can spot if you have previously been flashed by examining the ECU for things like max torque, max speed and the like, if what you're getting at is "If I blow something because of this, will my warranty be void even if I revert back to the stock tune when I go to the shop?"

If that's not what you're getting at, then see Magnuson-Moss Act. I'm not sure how it applies to flashes, but assuming it falls under aftermarket parts, the manufacturer has no right to void your warranty. If damage is done, you will have to settle with them on the repairs (out of warranty work), but the warranty will not be void. At least this is what I have heard, and also how I interpret the act.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:58 PM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
Please understand that under the Magnuson-Moss Act the dealer has to prove that the modification caused the failure. Not thinks, or maybe, proves. Know your rights and be firm when talking to your SA when you have a problem.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:08 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Probably a question for Alta, but if they come out with a better "calibration" at a later date, is that an additional purchase?

Or if later I add a bigger intercooler and exhaust and need an update, is that an extra cost too?

And to switch between 91 and 100 tunes as mentioned above, do I have to reconnect the device and upload the other program each time?

And if I wanted to go back to a stock profile, how do I do that?

Last edited by MINIdave; 08-26-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:14 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Minidave,

Eventually all of our ALTA tunes will be pre installed on the ALTA AccessPORT, and you will be able to run the AccessPORT updater and it will automatically update the maps to the newest version. That way, when you upgrade your car, all those maps will be available for free!

We will be updating the maps frequently as we are able to find more ways to make power too!

Old 08-26-2010, 02:15 PM
SimpsonGI
Originally Posted by wrx_xb9r
Please understand that under the Magnuson-Moss Act the dealer has to prove that the modification caused the failure. Not thinks, or maybe, proves. Know your rights and be firm when talking to your SA when you have a problem.
+1

About six months ago my turbo failed. It froze up and turbine wouldn't spin. The dealer tried to blame it on my after market parts saying that it probably failed due to it spinning up to quick. I questioned this and asked them to prove that my parts were the cause. They came back about 30 minutes later to offer me a one time goodwill replacement of the turbo. I had approximately 47k miles on my MINI at that time was just about to go out of warranty so I didn't fight them over the "one time" portion of it. I was later told by my SA that it wasn't completely uncommon for the turbo to fail on the 07s. The quote they originally gave me to replace the turbo was $2.8k

Old 08-26-2010, 02:28 PM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
"one time" is marketing speak so they can seem like they are on your side.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:35 PM
woodster
1st Gear
sigh.... here I sit with my new AP in front of me, my 2009 JCW in the garage, and no maps

I know Jeff is going to send them soon but man, this is worse than Christmas!

I will update all on my experience as soon as I have it loaded and do my initial runs.

I have Dynomaster for my Droid X (which I know is no substitute for a true Dyno) but it currently has my car at 216 HP WHP. So accurate or not, i can see what the tune does to that number and at least it will be apples to apples comparison.

(twiddles fingers.......)

Old 08-26-2010, 02:48 PM
SimpsonGI
Originally Posted by woodster
sigh.... here I sit with my new AP in front of me, my 2009 JCW in the garage, and no maps

I know Jeff is going to send them soon but man, this is worse than Christmas!

I will update all on my experience as soon as I have it loaded and do my initial runs.

I have Dynomaster for my Droid X (which I know is no substitute for a true Dyno) but it currently has my car at 216 HP WHP. So accurate or not, i can see what the tune does to that number and at least it will be apples to apples comparison.

(twiddles fingers.......)
Are you sure they didn't pre-install the maps onto the AP? I would go ahead and install it to check to see if they are there....

Old 08-26-2010, 02:48 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Woodster- I don't think I've ever seen a Mellow Yellow with the aero kit/painted arches.. I love it!!!

Anyways, do these tunes remove the speed limitations of the MCS? If I paid $800 for a tune I'd like my car to go faster than 140.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:51 PM
SimpsonGI
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
Woodster- I don't think I've ever seen a Mellow Yellow with the aero kit/painted arches.. I love it!!!

Anyways, do these tunes remove the speed limitations of the MCS? If I paid $800 for a tune I'd like my car to go faster than 140.
Yes the speed limitter is removed. See the FAQ on page one of the official thread.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:56 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by woodster
check the ap for tunes on it already. if none there just call jeff.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:04 PM
woodster
1st Gear
check the ap for tunes on it already. if none there just call jeff.
Nope, connected to the AccessPort Manager after updating it and no maps. I've already chatted with Chris, so they know I'm waiting. No worries, they are good peeps and I know they will get to me as soon as they can.

Guess now is a good time to go out and flog the current (stock) tune so I will be more aware of the difference

Old 08-26-2010, 03:16 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Woodster, we'll send out the maps in the next hour, I promise!!

Old 08-26-2010, 03:41 PM
woodster
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Woodster, we'll send out the maps in the next hour, I promise!!
Sweet! I will try to stop pacing the floor.... :-)

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Installed Alta's AP... my impressions.