Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:34 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AkFarina
I'm sure this has been answered nut i don't want to look through 52 pages to find it. Can there be a map so we can run an open down pipe with no annoying cel?
Your answer is on the very first page.
Hopefully that's not too much for you to look through; and thank you for helping to push this to 53 pages.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Dallas JCW
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new install

I've got a 2009 factory JCW with no upgrades. Got the AP yesterday. Updated the firmware with check for beta versions checked.

Installed on the car with no issues after I updated the software with check for beta checked - initially it didn't recognize my car.

Installed the Stage 1 92 Octane with stock mapping first. Really quite amazing how the car drives now. I'm very impressed, and the car is really, really quick.

Switched to the linear mapping 92 Octane and the car is very quick, but obviously has a different feel to it. I went back to the Stage 1 with the stock mapping.

Does anyone know what the sport button does now other than stiffen the steering. I'm kind of tired of always having to press the sport button (three years now, since I've never driven at length without it pressed). Just wondering the difference between sport on and sport off in the Stage 1 with stock throttle mapping.

Thanks. By the way, the idle issue mentioned in some other threads seems to be here, but it is such a very, very small bounce, that if I hadn't read anything on here, I never would have thought about it. For me, it is barely noticeable.

This was definitely a great purchase.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:02 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto on questions of what Sport really does with AP tune, plus floaty idle by me too

Likewise still waiting to hear what sport button really does now (on a 2010 S 6 speed) as far as throttle reponse with AP at Stage 1 and linear throttle.

Similarly, now also starting to notice floaty idle some, but don't recall a post from Alta that it has been resolved. Any news/info/tips?

Originally Posted by Dallas JCW
I've got a 2009 factory JCW with no upgrades. Got the AP yesterday. Updated the firmware with check for beta versions checked.

Installed on the car with no issues after I updated the software with check for beta checked - initially it didn't recognize my car.

Installed the Stage 1 92 Octane with stock mapping first. Really quite amazing how the car drives now. I'm very impressed, and the car is really, really quick.

Switched to the linear mapping 92 Octane and the car is very quick, but obviously has a different feel to it. I went back to the Stage 1 with the stock mapping.

Does anyone know what the sport button does now other than stiffen the steering. I'm kind of tired of always having to press the sport button (three years now, since I've never driven at length without it pressed). Just wondering the difference between sport on and sport off in the Stage 1 with stock throttle mapping.

Thanks. By the way, the idle issue mentioned in some other threads seems to be here, but it is such a very, very small bounce, that if I hadn't read anything on here, I never would have thought about it. For me, it is barely noticeable.

This was definitely a great purchase.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:02 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Sorry, we don't do that, but we can take payments, but we can't ship the part until it's fully paid for, thanks![/quote]

That was obviously an attempt at humor on my part that didn't go over well. I'm still looking at ordering one in the near future. Sorry for the misunderstanding.[/quote]

No problem, I actually get people asking asking this as a serious question!

Originally Posted by AkFarina
I'm sure this has been answered nut i don't want to look through 52 pages to find it. Can there be a map so we can run an open down pipe with no annoying cel?
We should be able to make a good map for you. You know the car is going to be a little loud right?

The sport button just quickens the steering and the throttle. Right now, our maps do the same thing, and have the same power output in either mode. The linear throttle map does the same thing, just speeds the throttle feel a little.

Originally Posted by MP1.6T
Likewise still waiting to hear what sport button really does now (on a 2010 S 6 speed) as far as throttle reponse with AP at Stage 1 and linear throttle.

Similarly, now also starting to notice floaty idle some, but don't recall a post from Alta that it has been resolved. Any news/info/tips?
We are still working on it. Once we get some more progress and make an update, we will let everyone know, thanks!

Old 03-07-2011, 06:59 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
Just got a DP and threw a CEL Need the Euro Spec ASAP hahaha

Old 03-08-2011, 09:14 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
We are working on it turtle!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Dallas JCW
1st Gear
Amazing

This is the way this car should have been from the start. I haven't turned on the stereo since I installed the AP because my factory JCW sounds great just by itself. I was extremely skeptical, but Alta made a believer out of me - and, it only took about 4 minutes to install.

You really just have to learn how to get past first gear without wheel spin - took 5 minutes to get the shift points down. Everything past that just puts a smile on your face.

Last edited by Dallas JCW; 03-09-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:40 PM
FredR53
1st Gear
I like how us 1st gen guys get the shaft on this. Still haven't heard anything about getting this on R53s.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:43 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FredR53
I like how us 1st gen guys get the shaft on this. Still haven't heard anything about getting this on R53s.
"… us 1st gen guys get the shaft on this"
Really?!

Old 03-09-2011, 04:46 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
wow....

Old 03-09-2011, 04:58 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
I guess I'll do it...
Please, at least research your car before you make half-cocked statements. R53s are readily tunable. Shoot, theres even OPEN-SOURCE tuning available. That means you could do it yourself if you wanted. That being said theres a whole section of this forum devoted to 1st gen cars. A warm fun place where all R 50's, 52's and 53's live. Check it out

Old 03-09-2011, 10:30 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
This is the way this car should have been from the start. I haven't turned on the stereo since I installed the AP because my factory JCW sounds great just by itself. I was extremely skeptical, but Alta made a believer out of me - and, it only took about 4 minutes to install.

You really just have to learn how to get past first gear without wheel spin - took 5 minutes to get the shift points down. Everything past that just puts a smile on your face.
Woo hoo! Glad you are loving it! Thanks for the feedback and enjoy it! Hope to hear from you again soon!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 03-09-2011, 05:41 PM
phxsteele
4th Gear
For Poops and giggles I uninstalled my tune today and ran the stock tune. Mostly because I was curious if I would get the CEL for my DP running the stock tune and still having the AP installed on the car.

If anyone is on the fence about buying the AP, do yourself a favor and just do it. I had grown accustom to the power of the stage 3 tune and forgot how much more power the AP gave me compared to the stock tune. I did get the cel after about 30 miles so I the next time I stopped I had to switch back to my stage 3 tune. It was all smiles after I reinstalled the tune just like the first time I installed it.

There have been a few threads asking "is it worth it"? Well I can definitely say it is worth every penny and more.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:02 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
would this be great for a first mod?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:14 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
would this be great for a first mod?
No. A catch can to help mitigate intake port carbon buildup would be a great first mod.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:23 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
No. A catch can to help mitigate intake port carbon buildup would be a great first mod.
for a 2011 mcs?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:28 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
for a 2011 mcs?
Ah, missed that detail…
No. The AP doesn't work with the 2011 MCSs yet.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
Ah, missed that detail…
No. The AP doesn't work with the 2011 MCSs yet.
damn

Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by phxsteele
For Poops and giggles I uninstalled my tune today and ran the stock tune. Mostly because I was curious if I would get the CEL for my DP running the stock tune and still having the AP installed on the car.

If anyone is on the fence about buying the AP, do yourself a favor and just do it. I had grown accustom to the power of the stage 3 tune and forgot how much more power the AP gave me compared to the stock tune. I did get the cel after about 30 miles so I the next time I stopped I had to switch back to my stage 3 tune. It was all smiles after I reinstalled the tune just like the first time I installed it.

There have been a few threads asking "is it worth it"? Well I can definitely say it is worth every penny and more.
EXCELLENT way to compare and contrast the performance to value!

Thanks again!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 03-10-2011, 05:53 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
I agree 100% with phxsteele. If you're on the fence, no need to be. Buy one, install the stage 3 tune and then hang on! It's FAST. I recently took the JCW to my dealer for maintenance and reverted back to the stock tune. I can't imagine driving it now without the AccessPORT. It makes a huge difference.

Buy one. You won't regret it!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sooper_cooper
Buy one. You won't regret it!
i wish i could buy one,, but now 2011's yet

Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 PM
peter314
5th Gear
Adam, Here's a question I have not seen yet.

Once the ALTA/Cobb Access Port is purchased will the unit in hand be able to be used on later models of the R56 platform or even the next gen Mini with just a software update.

I ask because I would like to purchase one in the future but may only have my 2008 MCS for two more years. I am planning on upgrading to a 2013 JCW or when significant revisions are made to the JCW car.

I would hate to lose the use of this item after I upgrade.

From my understanding it should work as long as you support the software for it.

Is this true and do you plan on continually updating the software to support the product as the years go on.

Thanks

Old 03-10-2011, 10:34 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
i wish i could buy one,, but now 2011's yet
I'm sure it won't be long before they have one for the 2011's. From what I understand it's in development now. Hang in there, I doubt it will be much longer. It's well worth the wait.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:53 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by peter314
Adam, Here's a question I have not seen yet.

Once the ALTA/Cobb Access Port is purchased will the unit in hand be able to be used on later models of the R56 platform or even the next gen Mini with just a software update.

I ask because I would like to purchase one in the future but may only have my 2008 MCS for two more years. I am planning on upgrading to a 2013 JCW or when significant revisions are made to the JCW car.

I would hate to lose the use of this item after I upgrade.

From my understanding it should work as long as you support the software for it.

Is this true and do you plan on continually updating the software to support the product as the years go on.

Thanks

You're right, the AccessPORT will work with cars in the future, unless Mini does significant changes to their ECU to require new hardware in the AccessPORT itself, and as long as we support it. We are planning on supporting cars in the near future. Thanks!

Old 03-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Massappeal
Neutral
Just bought one for my GF's Mini as a birthday present! Can't wait to flash it in 2 weeks!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread