Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain R56 Cams...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 AM
czar
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Your not getting confused, I am currently running the 10.7mm Schrick cams, however now my cams are ready, I will be swapping heads over.

There are some good gains to be had if you work the head.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:35 PM
btwdriver
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, do you think there is a big difference between the 10mm and 10.7mm lift Schrick cams? Also, based on your experience, if I have to have a little bit taken off the head (my car is currently overheating under high boost), that I will be ok with the .9mm gasket and the 10mm cam?

Old 09-21-2011, 09:06 AM
newtonova822
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on the shrick cam.. I see no recommendations to use other valve springs with the 10mm lift cams. Is that the case or should the valve springs be replaced.
I can't find anywhere lift for stock valves for the R56.

Anyone have the 252 or 260 cam installed? any issues passing emmisions with the cam?

Old 09-21-2011, 08:46 PM
btwdriver
3rd Gear
I have the 248 duration 10mm lift schrick cams installed. They run for me with no issues, using stock valves and springs. I have had the head ported, so your results might vary.

I live in Texas so I don't have to do any emissions testing, but the ECU is happy enough.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Step
2nd Gear
are you tuned at 20 psi? if so what turbo, and what kind of power did you make? thanks

Old 07-22-2013, 03:53 AM
mav3rick
Neutral
sorry to bring this topic alive again but i am just in process of getting schrick cams for my engine (207 RC - same as r56) ... have ordered SCHRICK 0483a1481-01 and SCHRICK 0483e1481-01 .. what i am interested... do i need to order set of retainers or do they come with cams?
0483 13 004 (upper valve spring retainer).

Old 08-25-2016, 09:29 AM
georgebriggs
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey there,

I'm in the process of a complete engine rebuild.

Pauter rods
Supertech pistons, valves and springs
Schrick 10.7 mm cam

I'm being told a few mixed messages so I wanted to see what you did for your camshafts.

The schrick camshafts come with valve spring cups (or caps).

Supertech comes with valve locators and retainers.

Are all cups (or caps), locators and retainers required? Supertech is saying don't mix and match but I'm not sure if the cams require the cups.

Any info would be helpful!

Old 08-25-2016, 11:19 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by georgebriggs
Hey there,

I'm in the process of a complete engine rebuild.

Pauter rods
Supertech pistons, valves and springs
Schrick 10.7 mm cam

I'm being told a few mixed messages so I wanted to see what you did for your camshafts.

The schrick camshafts come with valve spring cups (or caps).

Supertech comes with valve locators and retainers.

Are all cups (or caps), locators and retainers required? Supertech is saying don't mix and match but I'm not sure if the cams require the cups.

Any info would be helpful!
This is a pretty old thread --- I haven't seen any of these people in the Gen 2 section for quite awhile.

Then terminology --- I'm pretty sure that cups and retainers are the same thing.

I'm going thru a similar process with cam and piston selection. My Supertech Beehive springs were available with or without retainers --- OEM retainers were OK to use, so I did. Sounds like you have an extra set of retainers.

Schrick furnishes titanium retainers, and should be used exclusively --- do not mix retainers from different sources.

I had a terrible time finding a cam supplier that had this set in stock, so I ended up ordering a Cat Cam --- less lift but longer duration. I was told "production is starting --- place your order today and you'll be included". Out of desperation, I did. If I was conned, will you share where you found your Schrick?

And, please post your build details somewhere --- lotsa guys interested in new builds.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:03 AM
georgebriggs
1st Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
This is a pretty old thread --- I haven't seen any of these people in the Gen 2 section for quite awhile.

Then terminology --- I'm pretty sure that cups and retainers are the same thing.

I'm going thru a similar process with cam and piston selection. My Supertech Beehive springs were available with or without retainers --- OEM retainers were OK to use, so I did. Sounds like you have an extra set of retainers.

Schrick furnishes titanium retainers, and should be used exclusively --- do not mix retainers from different sources.

I had a terrible time finding a cam supplier that had this set in stock, so I ended up ordering a Cat Cam --- less lift but longer duration. I was told "production is starting --- place your order today and you'll be included". Out of desperation, I did. If I was conned, will you share where you found your Schrick?

And, please post your build details somewhere --- lotsa guys interested in new builds.
Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the late response. All my progress is on my youtube channel outlawedmotors.com. I may start a log on here but honestly it's a lot of work to make videos for this already so I'll likely just stick to the videos lol

I ended up going with the retainers from Supertech to match the valves and springs. At the moment, everything has been fitted by the builder and there doesn't seem to be any issues. Whether that's a good idea..we'll find out when it's running....

I am debating whether to port my intake and exhaust ports however, my builder said although their lots of potential there if it's seeing a lot of road time it may not be a great idea.

My other concern now is whether I should have swapped both cams out or just done one. From what I've been seeing from a few places such as BR and Madness is they only do one cam (I forget whether it's inlet or outlet).

I'm going to consult my engine builder on Monday and report back on whether my concerns are legitimate.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:35 PM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Any news on the one cam option, I'm putting my money on exhaust
And guess 70% gain for half the cost of 2 ?

Be good to hear that confirmed from someone who knows by experience, be that schrick or catcam, rather than just my hunch

Last edited by blue al; 03-03-2017 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Schrick or catcam
Old 03-04-2017, 09:43 AM
georgebriggs
1st Gear
Originally Posted by blue al
Any news on the one cam option, I'm putting my money on exhaust
And guess 70% gain for half the cost of 2 ?

Be good to hear that confirmed from someone who knows by experience, be that schrick or catcam, rather than just my hunch
I'll be sitting down with my engine builder this week and provide his feedback...

Old 03-04-2017, 10:41 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by georgebriggs
I'll be sitting down with my engine builder this week and provide his feedback...
I've never even thought to buy just one cam when a set of two is offered. As long as the engine's apart this far, why skimp with just one cam when both offer added performance? And, I can't imagine a retailer offering just one of the set --- what's he gonna do with the other one? Can a retailer get just one from the factory? Maybe try a Way cam --- I understand they build and sell their own.

Be interesting to hear what your builder has to report.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:35 AM
dez
4th Gear
Old 07-27-2017, 01:18 PM
georgebriggs
1st Gear
Hey everyone, so for those who care I couldn't find a good reason to go with only one cam other than to save money lol

With a good tuner, you get get a lot out of upgrading both cams. There is no mechanical reason no to do both.

I just uploaded the assembly of my engine on my channel