Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Need To Upgrade Brakes WOULD LIKE INPUT PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:00 AM
farajauto
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need To Upgrade Brakes WOULD LIKE INPUT PLEASE!

Like the title says, I searched and read all the posts I could. I want to upgrade my brakes and need front rotors and pads.

Here are my current decisions:

Debating to go with either ebc green with ebc USR Slotted Rotors (Total $220)

or

Stock replacement rotors (zimmerman, brembo, etc.) and akebono ceramic pads
(Total $145)

I HATE DUST, and want a low dust pad but I do want a better bite as I do drive aggressive and would like something that can last. My car only has 19k and is an 05 and rotors and pads are way to early for replacement.

Please for people who have ebc green how do they bite and how is the dust, and for people with akebono do you feel a difference over stock?

PS (I do not want to break bank and would like to keep the sensors so I ruled out Carbotech and HPS)

Thanks Mark

Old 05-19-2010, 10:19 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Most guys in my club are going to Akebono's. Not noisy, nil brake dust. Apparently Car Quest in Massachusetts is now selling them for lots less than most places only in a Car Quest box....

Old 05-19-2010, 04:45 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I think you need to do some thinking, and set your priorities...you need to decide what exactly you want.
Do you want a High performance set up...do you even need it? (you say you drive aggressively, but you want the pads to last...CARBOTECH BOBCATS might be good for that)...Or are you willing to stick with OEM level performance to have nearly DUST_FREE performance?
You can get higher performance with less than OEM dust..BUT there are trade-offs.....Akebono makes a great product, but it is not a high performance product...it is the OEM equivalent in a super-low dust ceramic pad.....the other products you list are High performance parts that can take a bit more heat...but also make a bit more dust, though less than OEM.
My suggestion....if you go with the Akebono pads, stick with stock/OEM equivalent rotors, like you list (many folks around are have a great time with Centric Premium's)....if you want some bling, and want to get a fancy rotor, and are willing to put up with a bit of noise, then get the slotted rotors...just remember that slotted rotors CAN adversely affect the life of some pads, and can add some noise to braking...they do look nice though!