Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain busted crankshaft pulley

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:14 PM
castro
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
busted crankshaft pulley

I work at Pizza Hut since last year and have been putting serious mileage on my 2004 MCS averaging 80 miles daily. Last week I manage to bust my crankshaft pulley. At first I thought it was the serpentine belt but when I took off the tire I noticed the crankshaft housing just sitting there and the rest of the pulley still mounted. I have been reading up on replacement pulleys and have heard good things about the ATI Super Damper Crank Pulley. I will probably be getting one for replacement. I just have one question should I go with the stock or should I go with the 2%?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:55 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
The ATI is a good choice IMO.
Do you already have a pulley?
This answer will (in part) determine which is best for you?!
If you have a 15% reduction...doing the 2% will be basically converting it to a 17%.
If you have stock...and want a little bit more power....the 2% will give you a little bit more......though not nearly as much as a SC reduction pulley!!
if you have a 17% or 19% on the car now....then adding 2% would likely add problems.
One thing to keep in mind...Some folks will change the pulley on the Alternator when they add a bigger crank pulley....this keeps it running at the OEM speed. Not a huge issue....but something to consider...but you AC will likely be a bit cooler with the 2%.

I'd talk to Way at WayMotorWorks...they sell the 2% one....it is a custom item for them....very nice...better than the OEM IMO, and cheaper!! He can give you the lowdown on the Pro's/Con's.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:32 PM
castro
1st Gear
Thank you for your quick response. I actually went with the stock size because of the issues I read about shortening the life of the alternator and air conditioner. I bought my Mini used with 88,000 miles on it. I am not a mechanic but I am learning a lot from this forum and I am looking forward to being able to work on my own car. I am not sure the size of the super charger pulley is. How do you determine the size of the super charger pulley?

Old 04-05-2010, 07:02 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
If the pulley on the SC is Black...and has no screws or nuts on it...it is the stock....it is held on by having been installed hot...then it shrinks as it cools, keeping it on the shaft really tightly. Aftermarket pulleys will usually have the reduction % stamped/engraved on the end of a pulley....and are USUALLY made out of stainless Steel. Some VERY early pulleys were hot-pressed factory style...but those are Pretty rare......
Aftermarket pulleys are a bit smaller...measured in % reduction.
The JCW MINI S, had about an 11% reduction to get the extra HP of the JCW kit...
15% is the most common, and generally considered very safe....17% is becoming more common....IMO the way to go for street, non-track MINI's....then there are 19% too....but they seem to be a tad bit too aggressive...and are not always trouble free.
A smaller pulley spins the SC faster...allowing it to make full boost at lower engine RPM's....and as long as you don't spend too much time near red-line, you get some very nice HP/drivivability gains. If the SC is spun too fast...extra heat is made, resulting in possibly less power due to a hot intake air, and the SC MAY wear at a slightly higher rate.
You should take a look at your pulley....so you can determine what size belt you will need....the stock belts are OK if pretty new for the 15%, but not ideal. Here is a chart from ALTA....listing recommended belts...the "stock belt is 1388 MM in length, with 6 ribs from Conti-Tech...a bit of an in-between size for US sizing.
MOST auto-parts stores will usually give you a belt that is too long..so beware. Also the NAPA is the most popular belt...but they do vary a bit in length....and the numbering system is share among most brands...Gates, etc...

Old 04-05-2010, 08:29 PM
fishead # 1
3rd Gear
Crank pulley info

Castro ...The info The ZIP MAN gives you is THE BEST . You're using your head very wisely BY asking ; so take his info and you WILL be that much "wiser" for it ! As time goes by & you gain some MORE knowledge & confidence in what you want outta these WONDERFUL cars you'll be really happy that you asked~~~actually ~I think it takes a guy w / "set" ~~~~the car itself ' the guts to ask and the developed skill to do it; but watch out~~~~~you just may need a second job !! Good Luck & Motor On OBEY

Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 PM
drsilvermini
4th Gear
I do not think all of Alta's chart is correct. The correct size for a 15% pulley and nothing else is a 535. I think for the 17% it is the correct size of 539 though.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:43 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The chart might no be perfect...( it was a quick way to get some useful info on belt sizes/and overdrive combo's in one place) I remember the book in the auto store said the stock was 547...which is quite a bit longer than the stock which is 1388 mm in length...it would fit, but would likely slip a lot!!

Old 04-06-2010, 04:11 PM
castro
1st Gear
Just received email from way motor works.

[SIZE=2] You have received this notification from Way Motor Works because you are a registered user or you or some other registered user requested some information for you from our store. [/SIZE]
Dear Mr. castro wilson jr.,
We are sorry to inform you that your order was declined.

No explanation as far as the reason for the decline. Anyways do you know another source I can buy one from.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:11 PM
fishead # 1
3rd Gear
web site

Hey "CASTRO" ...Bummer Guess the best would be www.atiracing.com & Good Luck OBEY

Old 04-06-2010, 05:19 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by castro
Just received email from way motor works.

[SIZE=2] You have received this notification from Way Motor Works because you are a registered user or you or some other registered user requested some information for you from our store. [/SIZE]
Dear Mr. castro wilson jr.,
We are sorry to inform you that your order was declined.

No explanation as far as the reason for the decline. Anyways do you know another source I can buy one from.
Aww...call him up....the credit card billing address might have been entered different...a missed space or something....that crap is so automated....sometimes a different billing/ship to address, or some other problem will mess it up. A call might fix it! Maybe a different card....

Old 04-07-2010, 07:33 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We got it all straightend out. His address in Guam the CPU didn't like. So his parts are now on the way.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-10-2010, 03:50 PM
fishead # 1
3rd Gear
Thank you

Way ..Sat afternoon / 10th . Mail "person" just delivered my new 2% A.T.I. dampner and "an appropriate belt". This means that tomorrow night~ I'll sleep;cuz that Da** ALUMINUM one WILL be in the TRASH !! I'm THRU "WORRYING" ! Never had ANY problems with it BUT those oem's just don't get ripped in half by elves !! And THANK YOU for the GREAT SERVICE !! OBEY

Old 04-12-2010, 11:25 PM
castro
1st Gear
Thanks Way

Thank you Way just received the part today. Took about 6 days to arrive on Guam. Not bad at all. Thanks again for the great service. FYI Guam's Mini population is growing and as of now there are no shops catering to them other than the Dealer. I will surely recommended your site to the owners on Guam for parts.

Thanks again

Castro

Old 04-13-2010, 12:25 AM
fishead # 1
3rd Gear
Guam

Castro : Hey Man~~~Glad to here that you got your lil "glitch" cleared up !! Way is pretty difficult to top; not bad for a country boy and now he''s on Guam!! Hope you Mini people out there have GOOD door & window seals or that Guam has gotten a bit "taller" than the last time I was there . We were headed to viet nam and had a SHORT layover on your beautiful home land. I stood on the beach and the ocean WAS "TALLER" than the land ?? I was BORN on the beach and NEVER before or after have I had such a wierd sensation nor have I EVER understood it !! Gotta be "optical"!? PM me if you would & I'll "reciprocate" 0BEY

Old 04-20-2010, 10:38 PM
castro
1st Gear
Keyway

Well dropped the car at the dealer shop on Monday. Got a call Wednesday from technician about his concern that the vibration damper is not OEM and that they will install it but will not be responsible for any problems that may occur.

Technician concerned with the ATI damper because it has a keyway and the OEM does not have a keyway. I have no idea so I researched on the web and found the following on the ATI SUPERDAMPER WEBSITE.

This would be the time to consider whether or not you would like to pin the crankshaft as the ATI damper has a keyway in the hub unlike the OEM damper. If you decide to pin the crankshaft (a must for supercharging), you will need to purchase ATI’s LS1 Crank Pin Drill Fixture (p/n 918993) and follow the instructions enclosed before proceeding to step 5.

I was told by the shop that they will go ahead and install it. They recommend that I take it easy for the first 300 miles to give the pulley time to fuse in. I would like to hear any comments on this matter and I am wondering why I didn't see the keyway mentioned in the crankshaft pulley replacement discussions.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:04 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Don't worry about the keyway, just install is same way the OEM one installs and you'll be fine.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-21-2010, 06:16 AM
fishead # 1
3rd Gear
experience

Castro>>>The "russians are coming --the russians are comig" Just a TITLE to some thing tHAt MEANT NOTHING !! Listen to WAY (he IS right!) MINE (same as yours~~ is/was installed w/o the "keyway machining and ALL my friends too) WORKS WONDERFUL !! Trust the guy who works on em 12 days a week !! THANKS AGAIN WAY obey

Old 12-27-2010, 09:27 AM
DSCS
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We got it all straightend out. His address in Guam the CPU didn't like. So his parts are now on the way.
I wonder why your company cannot deliver the car part to south east asia?

Old 12-27-2010, 08:48 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by DSCS
I wonder why your company cannot deliver the car part to south east asia?
I do not currently ship international, the only exception is Canada or APO/FPO addresses. If you need parts I can refer you to one of my retailers we wholesale to.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:55 PM
DSCS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I do not currently ship international, the only exception is Canada or APO/FPO addresses. If you need parts I can refer you to one of my retailers we wholesale to.
Yes please. Maybe you pm me.
Thanks.

I like your price a bit cheaper thn other dealer.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:56 PM
CORNERS
3rd Gear
I have the 0% ATI pulley as well. Hardest part was getting off the old pulley without the special tool. The new one went on super easy. I didn't do anything special about the key either. The ATI pulley has timing indicators as well, but I just ignored them when I installed (The only way to know top dead center would have been to remove the valve cover. I wasn't in the mood.)