Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain AC Delete Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 03:19 PM
KurTecH
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Delete Options

So my '03 R53 recently had its AC compressor go out and I'm wondering what my options are for an AC delete. From what I could find, minimania is the only place that offers a bypass idler pulley.

Are there any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Old 11-08-2009, 04:26 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's really the only option. The belt must remain in that same "route", so it's either a pump or the delete pulley.
I'll check that pump tomorrow AM and let you know.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:39 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I've got a used compressor that could save you some bucks.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-08-2009, 06:45 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I have seen that same by-pass idler on SEVERAL different sites. Since the A/C is standard item......and these days it is tough to sell a car without it, I would day toss a used compressor on it, and preserve all the piping etc. If it will be track only car....heck...rip it all out...and lighten it up!!

Old 11-08-2009, 06:54 PM
gokaht
3rd Gear

Available as an oem part It's my plan to do so.

Anyone successfully remove the lines and condenser and find the fan is always running?

Old 11-08-2009, 07:05 PM
KurTecH
1st Gear
yeah, after doing some reading of older posts, it seems as if some people have had issues with the fan staying on if the ac compressor was not plugged in. that being said, it's probably a better idea to just replace the pump with a different used one. the worst part is i have a 500+ mile drive coming up on friday and i really wanted to take the mini.

onasled, i look forward to hearing from you tomorrow to see if you still have one available.

waymotorworks, i'll pm you about a price and possible expedited shipping.

thanks for the input guys!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:58 AM
rpterson
4th Gear
It's really quite easy to do. Buy the OEM part from MINI parts. As for the fan runing, all you need to do is take the High Presure sensor that is on the AC piping and plug it back in. Then you fan will run correctly. Just tiewrap the sensor out of the way.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:04 AM
KurTecH
1st Gear
Woo hoo! So I decided to go with the OEM idler pulley that comes with the no a/c option as mentioned above. The place I'm ordering it from (classic mini, where i've been getting all of my parts) does not have it in stock so they had to order it and they will be getting it in on wednesday. That being said, I had requested they overnight the part to me so I can receive it by Thursday and I can install it by the time I have to leave for my trip on Friday. The worst part is I ended up paying more for shipping then I did the part. Oh well, convenience comes at a cost!

So I'm thinking I'm going to just remove the pump, hook up the high pressure sensor, and just tape up and zip tie the hoses out of the way for now. I don't want to fully remove the AC, but with wisconsin winter just around the corner, I don't see myself using the AC anytime soon. However, I would like to put it back to stock if ever I decide to sell the car or once summer rolls around and i decide i would like AC again. Also, my AC is suffering from the stink-nasty smell whenever I use it. I'll address that problem when i replace the pump come spring/summer.

Now to cross my fingers that the part gets to me by Thursday!

good suggestion on the OEM part guys! It's almost half the price of the one from minimadness too!

Old 11-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That stink nasty smell is probably the microfilter up under the passenger side dash.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:41 AM
KurTecH
1st Gear
i thought that too, but after replacing that filter, it was still there. i've seen dozens of threads about clearing up that smell, from using lysol and keeping the ac on with the temp on high, to having the dealer do 'the treatment'.

what's funny is the salesman only turned the ac on for aobut 30 seconds until it got cold, then shut it off right away, almost like he knew the smell was there. i took it to the local (75miles away) mini dealer for other issues and had mentioned the issue to them. they quoted me over $500 to fix it. no thanks! not yet anyways, i'll try other things first, and if all else fails, i'll let them fix it, since it's a dealer, i can always take it back within a reasonable ammount of time and tell them the issue isnt fixed if it's not.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:16 PM
gokaht
3rd Gear
sorrryyyy

Last edited by gokaht; 11-09-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: duplicate!
Old 11-09-2009, 02:27 PM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by KurTecH
good suggestion on the OEM part guys! It's almost half the price of the one from minimadness too!
We don't ALWAYS cost more just most of the time...and always on labor...

I had the same thing happen - compressor gave out at 63k, I just did my clutch, removed the lines and condensor, fan was always running, so I'll plug that sensor in - my shop foreman just thought of the same thing today so I was going to try it - couldn't hurt, right!! HUGE help confirming that though.

I'm going to see how next summer is without a/c - if I don't mind it (I rarely use it) I'll get the comp out and put that deflector pulley in, if I can't stand it I'll get a new compressor and put it in.

Thank god we figured out the fan thing. It's looking for resistance, and that's what the plug provides, right? My foreman and I tried jumping the wires on Sunday, no combination worked, then he realized there was probably a certain resistance it needed - there's three wires going into the plug, makes sense. That's why the fan doesn't stay on at all times if the system is discharged - the sensor does its job

Old 11-09-2009, 02:30 PM
gokaht
3rd Gear
i thought that too, but after replacing that filter, it was still there. i've seen dozens of threads about clearing up that smell, from using lysol and keeping the ac on with the temp on high, to having the dealer do 'the treatment'.

what's funny is the salesman only turned the ac on for aobut 30 seconds until it got cold, then shut it off right away, almost like he knew the smell was there. i took it to the local (75miles away) mini dealer for other issues and had mentioned the issue to them. they quoted me over $500 to fix it. no thanks! not yet anyways, i'll try other things first, and if all else fails, i'll let them fix it, since it's a dealer, i can always take it back within a reasonable ammount of time and tell them the issue isnt fixed if it's not.
There's a deoderizing spray you need - it'll neutralize the air in the ducting, which is where the odor is locked into the plastics. Go to a dealer and purchase the spray, then spray it into your air intake for the a/c system - remove the cabin filter first - then let it run for about a half hour. It's strong stuff so open the windows and stay clear!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:01 PM
KurTecH
1st Gear
yes! i got the part shipped to work today at around 10:30 and decided to go home and install it during lunch, and it works great! i am curious as to where the high pressure sensor is located? i noticed the one round circular plug at the top of the ac pump, but the sensor that goes to is inside the actual ac clutch got smoked off when it burnt up. that bypass pulley was a dream to install and i finally got to use my new belt tentioner tool. good stuff!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:44 AM
DaveVT02S
4th Gear
Woo hoo! So I decided to go with the OEM idler pulley that comes with the no a/c option as mentioned above. The place I'm ordering it from (classic mini, ...
Could you post a link, please? And thanks...

Old 11-17-2009, 08:43 AM
KurTecH
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DaveVT02S
Could you post a link, please? And thanks...
I just called them up and asked for it.
http://www.driveclassic.com/ - click on the mini logo, call em up and ask for the parts dept.

They've been by far the best mini dealership I've seen as far as price and knowing their stuff!

Old 11-25-2009, 08:56 PM
rpterson
4th Gear
yes! i got the part shipped to work today at around 10:30 and decided to go home and install it during lunch, and it works great! i am curious as to where the high pressure sensor is located? i noticed the one round circular plug at the top of the ac pump, but the sensor that goes to is inside the actual ac clutch got smoked off when it burnt up. that bypass pulley was a dream to install and i finally got to use my new belt tentioner tool. good stuff!

The sensor is on the line under thr fuse block. If you don't remove your lines it will be hooked up and be OK. Only when you remove the line set, you'll need the sensor.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:41 PM
knighty87
1st Gear
so does anybody know the mini part number for this idler pulley?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by knighty87
so does anybody know the mini part number for this idler pulley?
http://www.waymotorworks.com/a-c-delete-pulley.html
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...94&hg=11&fg=18

Old 04-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Gafer
1st Gear
Hey, so did the a/c delete and I'm just wondering.. when removing the lines is there's anything that needs to be plugged up? Or is the high pressure sensor the only thing to worry about?

P.S. Got my pulley from partsgeek for $76.
http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq...pulley&x=0&y=0

Old 04-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Gafer
Hey, so did the a/c delete and I'm just wondering.. when removing the lines is there's anything that needs to be plugged up? Or is the high pressure sensor the only thing to worry about?

P.S. Got my pulley from partsgeek for $76.
http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq...pulley&x=0&y=0
The sensor is the only thing to worry about, but if you plan on re-installing the a/c later, make sure to cap the ends on the evap core on the firewall so that crap and water doesn't get in.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Gafer
1st Gear
Good to know, thanks!! Hope I don't have to, the lines were kinda annoying to get out, would hate to have to try and figure how to get them back in haha.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Mudhen
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure what I'm doing wrong...but this thing just doesn't seem to fit my '05 R53. Anyone else have fitment issues?

Thanks,

Pat

Old 04-16-2015, 10:58 AM
Mudhen
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nevermind, nothing to see here...move it along.

I guess all I have to do is ask on here and the answers come to me. lol. Man...having the lower mount be different than the A/C and having it look like it's obviously supposed to fit between the ears on the sump threw my feeble mind for a loop.

I was 2 minutes away from cutting the ears off and firing up the TIG welder. I won't admit to using the angle grinder on it already. No pics, plz.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:50 AM
tantryan
1st Gear
Hey yall,

I will be doing the AC delete on my 03 MCS next week and just have a question about capping the lines. I will not be removing the condensor and will zip-tie the hardlines out of the way (might want AC for the summer). Picked up the idler bypass pulley from minimania for about $95.

1) How do you cap the lines? Is it really simple or some complex process?

2) Should the AC be de-pressurized in order to do this?

3) Will I need to worry about the high pressure sensor or fan running?

Also, this mini has been sitting for about 10 months. Should I anticipate any other problems getting it fired back up (minus a new battery)?

Thanks