Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Cylinder Head Thickness: What is?

Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 AM
LosOsos"S"
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cylinder Head Thickness: What is?

I have run across a used head that has already been resurfaced. I am trying to determine if it is useable. So one characteristic I am concerend with is if it has been milled too much. With this in mind, if someone knows, can they please tell me the thickness/height of a stock non resurfaced head?

I will be checking this head on a surface plate and using a height gauge...if someone knows the answer, GREAT! If not maybe someone has a pulled stock head and a steady hand and a good pair of calipers and can kindly measure for me. Thank you!!!

My name is Flint. I am a NAM lurker.

...But during my lurking days I have spent many hours using the search function and learning a lot! Thank you for all that shared info!

Old 11-06-2009, 01:34 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Don't know what the deck height is, but there is a 0.037" (0.95mm) gasket
available from MINI as well as the stock 0.026" (0.65mm) one. This might
come in handy if someone else knows the deck height and yours is a little short.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:13 PM
FlyinScotsman
1st Gear
MINI cylinder head -deck height

Several weeks ago I saw "96.8mm head thickness measured face to face" listed on another site as the minimum allowable deck height, but you will want to verify this!
Try checking the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) website for the 2009 Improved Touring class specs. The new MINI is now eligible for ITB class & any milling of the head (beyond making it true) is illegal. Their tech people must have access to the correct deck height info to enforce the rules in a protest situation. The Cooper was also put in one of the Production car classes (G-Prod?) so the data may also be in the SCCA Prod class specs. A search of the GRAND AM ST-class (Koni Challenge) rules might also turn up the specs.

Another source might be a reputable machine shop in your area, preferably one that caters to local racers, or, one of the NAM tuners/Cylinder head vendors may have this info..They all need head cores, so it makes sense they would know the specs.
Good luck & please post what you find

Old 11-06-2009, 11:14 PM
FlyinScotsman
1st Gear
Nevermind on the SCCA recommendation...

The current SCCA IT regs just say:

"Where a factory specification can be proven, a tolerance of -.025" less than the service limit (whatever it may be..) will be permitted"...

Sorry about the dead end there.

Here is the link to the original 96.8mm info I referenced: http://www.smrc-uk.com/competitors/
See page 14 of the 'FFDR Mini Cooper cup regs".

Surely one of the Mini tuners/cylinder head guys can confirm this data.
Good luck!

Last edited by FlyinScotsman; 11-07-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 AM
LosOsos"S"
1st Gear
Thank you Cristo and FlyinScotsman!

I have done a quick measurement and I have 3.819 inches from head gasket surface to valve cover gasket surface. In metric that is very close to 97mm and fits with the 96.8mm offered up by you, FlyinScotsman and your link.

I still have not been able to learn or find the "factory spec". Hopefully it will happen; my search is on going.