Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain FMIC vs. coolant temp.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:10 AM
alittletoored
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FMIC vs. coolant temp.

Did anyone have a coolant temp guage on their car before they installed a FMIC. The reason that I am asking is because I was debating on getting one, until I realized that the added surface area is taking away from that of the radiator. Yes, this does allow for more adequate cooling of the pressurized, intake air, but does this raise the coolant temp. Or is this forcing the motor to run with the thermosat wide open at all time? Any thoughts?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:54 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by alittletoored
Did anyone have a coolant temp guage on their car before they installed a FMIC. The reason that I am asking is because I was debating on getting one, until I realized that the added surface area is taking away from that of the radiator. Yes, this does allow for more adequate cooling of the pressurized, intake air, but does this raise the coolant temp. Or is this forcing the motor to run with the thermosat wide open at all time? Any thoughts?

Thanks for asking and a good question! I had my gauges installed in my first R56 before I did the FMIC kit. One of those gauges was a water temp gauge.

After the installation of the ALTA FMIC Kit there was no change at all in the water temps. The OEM cooling system is not only VERY efficient, but the air flow through the core(s) is more than adequate to insure the radiator has plenty of fresh air.

I can reasonably assume that all of the popular R56 FMIC upgrade options (ALTA included of course ) will all have the same result. It would take a significant blockage for the coolant temps to rise.

Hope that helps in the decision! IF I can help in anyway further PLEASE let me know!

Old 08-21-2009, 06:06 AM
alittletoored
1st Gear
Adam, Thanks for the response. I am gald to see that BMW has over engineered this vitail part of the cooling system.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:14 AM
MINIutia
3rd Gear
Helix FMIC

Scangauge readout on mine showed no appreciable change in coolant temperatures throughout my driving conditions, clearly the cooling system is not working anywhere near capacity - and I live within 70 miles of Palm Springs. The IAT, however, dropped dramatically under all conditions.

Originally Posted by alittletoored