Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Alta Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:37 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALTA apologized for the inconvenience the same day and requested pictures of the damage. Porthos said he would have someone take them but still waiting on pictures.

Last edited by ALTA_Jarid; 08-14-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-14-2009, 07:41 AM
LONO
2nd Gear
Why force the guy to take pics etc... Just do an exchange.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:03 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
I would like to see where the dents are. I want to make sure it wasn't damaged in shipping. If I just ship out another one and they were not boxed correctly it will end up with the same problem.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Tsar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LONO
Why force the guy to take pics etc... Just do an exchange.
In todays world its not hard to take a picture...

Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsar
In todays world its not hard to take a picture...
Yes, but there will be more requests that take time and effort. The op should not have to do a bunch of extra stuff just to get a good part. It is not his/her fault that this sh*t was damaged. All that stuff about poor packaging, shipping issues, bad quality control can be determined after the IC is returned. It is unrelated to the op anyway and should be a separate internal investigation. One should help minimize the bs not string the op along.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:48 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
We aren't stringing him along!! I asked him the day he posted for pics to find out what the damage was. I never said it was his fault it was damaged. And I have been in contact with Porthos off thru Email and PM anyways. Sooo...he doesnt take a pic and I send a replacement out...and it shows up with the same dents..then what? Then we get flamed for sending out another dented IC....when come to find out the packaging wasn't sufficient. They say a picture is worth a thousand words..

Old 08-14-2009, 08:59 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Let him send it back w/o more work. Put more packaging material in your package.

Face 2 face with real thing is more than a billion words...

You are making this longer than necessary in my opinion. That is why you guys still get an F from me.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:04 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Thanks for your insight slinger688, hope you have a great weekend.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:08 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Jarid
Thanks for your insight slinger688, hope you have a great weekend.
You are welcome. I will always try to be here to clear up issues.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Tsar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by slinger688
Yes, but there will be more requests that take time and effort. The op should not have to do a bunch of extra stuff just to get a good part. It is not his/her fault that this sh*t was damaged. All that stuff about poor packaging, shipping issues, bad quality control can be determined after the IC is returned. It is unrelated to the op anyway and should be a separate internal investigation. One should help minimize the bs not string the op along.
Here's a funny story. At one time my mother was a manager of one of the retail stores. Someone bought a large screen tv, couple days later they decided to return it - it was all packaged and stuff, it seemed like it hadn't been even open yet. And that is precisely what the customer insisted on, it has not been opened, ever. However, the store policy was to inspect all returning merchandise without questions.

Well the brand new TV box was open, and instead of a big screen TV there were a lot of BRICKS, and cardboard... the customer tried to blame the store and said that they sold it that way; after a little convo with the manager they decided they did not want the "TV" or the refund and left the store without their merchandise.

It's perfectly fine for the vendor to check on the product, and try to determine if OP damaged it or not. If OP did not damage it, then sure he deserves a full refund + shipping from ALTA.

I guess I just don't blindly trust people like some.. And I can take a picture, upload it online and send it to a number of people in less than a minute. The argument that it takes time and effort is moot.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:53 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Here's a funny story. At one time my mother was a manager of one of the retail stores. Someone bought a large screen tv, couple days later they decided to return it - it was all packaged and stuff, it seemed like it hadn't been even open yet. And that is precisely what the customer insisted on, it has not been opened, ever. However, the store policy was to inspect all returning merchandise without questions.

Well the brand new TV box was open, and instead of a big screen TV there were a lot of BRICKS, and cardboard... the customer tried to blame the store and said that they sold it that way; after a little convo with the manager they decided they did not want the "TV" or the refund and left the store without their merchandise.

It's perfectly fine for the vendor to check on the product, and try to determine if OP damaged it or not. If OP did not damage it, then sure he deserves a full refund + shipping from ALTA.

I guess I just don't blindly trust people like some.. And I can take a picture, upload it online and send it to a number of people in less than a minute. The argument that it takes time and effort is moot.
In this situation, you cannot really determine where/cause of this problem from a pic and have to examine it in person anyway. And it can still be subjective even after a close exam. They have your money anyway and don't have to return it to you if you damaged it or you returned a ton of bricks.

All I am saying is that processes should be more oriented toward minimizing the impact on the customer in the case of an issue.

One does not have to place the customer in the middle of the issue investigation that can be lengthy, delaying final resolution for the customer.

If the processes are streamlined properly (to what is really needed), the company can minimize the impact on the customer and still maintain control of the situation. This way the customer and the company can both be happy. That is all I was trying to say.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:07 PM
LONO
2nd Gear
I am not in any way saying Alta should not get there dented product back. They should just send the guy a new ic without a bunch of crap. The op having to take pics or do anything other than ship it back to Alta is a waste of time.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:25 PM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
LOL I can't believe you guys are still debating how this should be taken care of. Porthos didn't seem bothered by my picture request. I don't have his phone number and have been speaking to him via email and this will get taken care of....

Old 08-14-2009, 05:20 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ya some people will try to scam the store, however, Best Buy, got busted shipping out floor tiles & newspaper as brand new hard drives.
http://boingboing.net/2007/10/29/bes...nt-refund.html

Old 08-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am really not sure if I want a refund or a new one yet. I will have to pack it back up and send it back I know that much.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:56 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
sucks, but not surprised. I know personally I've gotten dented radiators and such, that's the problem with not buying things in person. That could have avoided all of this mess, but then again, I don't know of any local shops that carry Alta parts, so that's a huge deterrent for me.

honestly though, I think alta does more damage to themselves being so active on this site then if they just sat back and only updated on new happenings. Posting up defensive posts when a product is found to be "defective" is really not great business practice. Every manufacturer has issues because manufacturing isn't perfect, but you don't see them up defending themselves every time it happens. They take appropriate action and move on. Those negative posts die quickly, instead of staying at the top of the page for everyone who passes by to read.

I see Alta's side of the argument and agree with their stance so far. Small dents like that could have been caused by a consumer improperly handling the item, or from the shipping company. If they just immediately jumped to sending a new one out, Alta might need to eat the cost(which they still might do), but they might as well rule out all possibilites before that happens.

as for improper fitment of parts, you get what you pay for. If you buy the cheapest thing on the market, don't expect a perfect QC program to make sure everything is 100%.

Last edited by dwf137; 08-17-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Herman da German
2nd Gear
That looks like a bummer. Hopefully they won't make you jump through to many hoops. Good luck.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:55 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
yikes...crushed fins, not such a good idea.

This is your perfect chance to get a refund for it and buy a Helix or Forge!!! It's like it was ment to be!

Old 08-18-2009, 10:29 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can tell you the Forge is a perfect fit & comes as a complete kit (pre-trimmed grill & all), but the Helix is also a nice fit and you can get away with installing it without any trimming. If Helix added the hardmount tabs like the OEM & Forge intercoolers it'd be a winner.
I wouldn't hold my breath on any sort of refund, at best they'll hopefully cover the shipping and send you a replacement in some sort of timely fashion.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:42 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Well instead of getting a new one or refunding I just had them send me out the JCW leather steering wheel and the short shifter and they are covering the shipping back cause they are claiming it on UPS. So really I will be making out in the long run.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:01 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
We cant claim in with UPS due to their being zero damage on the box. We are going to end up eating the cost of it. The intercoolers are packed pretty snug in the boxes. We are all pretty baffled here as to how the damage occurred.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
So who is covering for the shipping cost

Old 08-20-2009, 11:15 AM
R55lover
Neutral
i would expect ALTA is.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:19 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Originally Posted by R55lover
i would expect ALTA is.
CORRECT. A UPS call tag will go in the box for you to put on the intercooler.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Cool thanx. Ya when you let me know I will ship it right out.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Alta Intercooler