Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Mynes R53 parts testing results (an upgrade "guide" to your MCS?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ninjlao
Is that chart accurate?
Yes. That's what the dyno show. It goes to show that EVERY CAR is different

No updates can be provided until after AMVIV... Cheers

Old 03-25-2009, 06:32 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I look forward to reading some answers after AMVIV.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Answers for? Did I miss something? He answered your questions already...

Old 03-25-2009, 06:55 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Originally Posted by Wake|MCS
Answers for? Did I miss something? He answered your questions already...
Oh sorry I was referring to the section below.

Originally Posted by Mike@Mynes
how many times can you advance the timing? you can only do that once, right? so each mod that i add give me more "octane" so i can increase the timing

the delta is 23hp and 11tqe, check out Post #9 for some Test numbers on 91 Octane
I was under the impression that advancing the timing is by degrees, so its possible to advance the timing to a point where if 91 Octane were to be used, it would pre-detonate and cause a whole lotta issues. Can you post the charts of the cars that you tuned? I'd like to see the delta on those, and if possible see how much power the MegaMynes header makes on 91 Octane gas.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
No need to wait for my answers, i'm not a tuning "god" by any means... I'm here to present my findings. I have answered your questions to the best i can w/o going overboard. If you need further explanation, then you should try Google.

Here's one i found on Google on Pump Gas vs Race Gas:
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...gas/index.html

If you want to take a basic tuning class, we can offer those at our Phx location for $500 a day (lunch included). Let me know if you're interested.

cheers.
mike

Old 03-25-2009, 09:46 PM
jaytech
2nd Gear
Oh sorry I was referring to the section below.
Ok let me try to straighten this out for you. Do you understand how your MINI ECU work? Meaning all the adaptations that goes on within your ECU? Your knock control adaptation and mixture adaptation? First of all I didn't add any ignition timing from using 91 octane to E85... the ECU automatically added ignition timing on it's own. Your ECU has several timing look up tables and maps for various conditions. Including knock, air temp, engine temp, barometric corrections. Your ECU learns the octane that is pre-programmed in your ECU. Reads this map and store it in RAM for future look up as your drive your car. Reads from knock sensor and stores that value into RAM, reads your current air temps and engine temps and sets a error flag in RAM if temps gets too hot. And there is another function reference to these RAM addresses and it does other functions like retard ignition timing for the current octane and engine conditions by the these error flags set in RAM.

So basically your ECU can learn and adapt to these changes ( a way BMW save their butts for warranty) So the delta that Mike has been showing you on this thread all this time are correct. When we added E85, all what was changed was fueling parameters and not timing. The ECU added timing by reading the RAM info, and those error flags are not being set. So it adds timing to the current timing map as a +/- correction. So thus, the car makes more power. So there you have it.

Ask anyone here who has used 91 or 93 octane, and then used 100 octane right behind it. The car improves performance, because the ECU adds timing or does the timing 100% of what is in the main timing map which is very high as it is.

So there is no need to test 91 octane which we have already with our car, and plus Mike has added some customer cars as well for information.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:02 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@Mynes
Here are some of the results on 91 Octane Shell Gasoline. I will update the graphs after AMVIV - trying to pack things up right now)..

Customer #1)
2004 MCS with 17%; Milltek, 550cc Bosch; Newman Cam, RMW header; 228whp/189wtqe

Customer #2)
2005 MCS with 550cc Bosch, 15%, CAI, Milltek, 222whp/175wtqe

Customer #3)
2004 MCS with 15%, 2% crank, OBX header, Bosch 550cc, Shrick Cam, MegaMini Stage I Head, electric waterpump, aftermarket exhaust (forget what kind) = 244whp/179wtqe
I guess different cars can tune very differently...

"HP sells cars. Torque wins races." - Wise Engine Builder

Mynes, thanks for all the info. you guys been kind enough to answer all my questions...even the dumb ones. Keep us updated on any new info. !

Old 03-25-2009, 10:17 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Relax guys, I'm just curious as to the difference in available power between E85 fuel and 91 Octane...

Originally Posted by jaytech
So it adds timing to the current timing map as a +/- correction. So thus, the car makes more power. So there you have it.

Ask anyone here who has used 91 or 93 octane, and then used 100 octane right behind it. The car improves performance, because the ECU adds timing or does the timing 100% of what is in the main timing map which is very high as it is.
The above is the part that I don't get about advanced timing with E85 fuel. Are you saying that the numbers below the delta will all be changed at the same constant if you switch back to 91 Octane? Sorry for the questions but this is confusing me. Or would it be better to assume that when switching between the two fuel maps, the numbers below the delta change with different variables as the timing advances or retards and the increase below the delta is not consistent?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:23 PM
jaytech
2nd Gear
Relax guys, I'm just curious as to the difference in available power between E85 fuel and 91 Octane...

The above is the part that I don't get about advanced timing with E85 fuel. Are you saying that the numbers below the delta will all be changed at the same constant if you switch back to 91 Octane? Sorry for the questions but this is confusing me. Or would it be better to assume that when switching between the two fuel maps, the numbers below the delta change with different variables as the timing advances or retards and the increase below the delta is not consistent?

We are relax, just typed a novel for you LOL. I think you should use Google and first understand about octane and how an engine reacts to it. Then you would have a better understanding. I didn't think we would have to give an online class on octane and it's effects.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Nazrin
4th Gear
Interesting thread....but still waiting for Mynes flash tool with datalogging to be available.

Have you guys worked out a price yet? Once it becomes available, I wanna order it together with your 550cc injectors. (Hope there's a price package for the Flash tool, injectors and remote tune)

Old 03-25-2009, 10:49 PM
jaytech
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Nazrin
Interesting thread....but still waiting for Mynes flash tool with datalogging to be available.

Have you guys worked out a price yet? Once it becomes available, I wanna order it together with your 550cc injectors. (Hope there's a price package for the Flash tool, injectors and remote tune)
We are working on the GUI software (Graphical User Interface) for the flash tool. And at the same time writing code for the MEMS ECU. The datalogging function will come later on once the flashing tool is released next month sometime.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
We are relax, just typed a novel for you LOL. I think you should use Google and first understand about octane and how an engine reacts to it. Then you would have a better understanding. I didn't think we would have to give an online class on octane and it's effects.
What sparked my curiosity was why you would swap to E85 fuel so early on. Wouldn't it have been more beneficial to show what E85 can do AFTER everything has been bolted and installed onto the car? As with anyone here I would just like some peace of mind that if I get my car tuned it won't crap out on me or throw a rod.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:55 PM
jaytech
2nd Gear
As with anyone here I would just like some peace of mind that if I get my car tuned it won't crap out on me or throw a rod.
That doesn't make any sense at all. Didn't everyone else on this board had their cars tuned on regular 91 or 93 gas before the E85 fuel even came up? So how would you throw a rod getting a car tuned on 91 or 93 octane?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Are you saying that the numbers below the delta will all be changed at the same constant if you switch back to 91 Octane?
That's the point Mike was trying to make about the delta's for the mods being the same regardless of E85 or 91 (93) octane fuel. The benefit of the E85 is something that was shown in a dyno where the only variable was the fuel change. That shows the delta for the benefit of running E85. You can subtract that delta from the other dynos in order to have a rough idea of what the power would be on 91 (93) octane fuel given the same mods.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Nazrin
4th Gear
We are working on the GUI software (Graphical User Interface) for the flash tool. And at the same time writing code for the MEMS ECU. The datalogging function will come later on once the flashing tool is released next month sometime.
Sometime next month? Ok, what about prices? and any price packages that comes with the flash tools? Maybe a pre-launch sale?

and one more question about the injectors, will your Bosch injectors fit with my larger GRS IC?

Old 03-25-2009, 11:04 PM
jaytech
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Nazrin
Sometime next month? Ok, what about prices? and any price packages that comes with the flash tools? Maybe a pre-launch sale? No price as of yet, still working on software (GUI) and alot of work.

and one more question about the injectors, will your Bosch injectors fit with my larger GRS IC?
If the intercooler is not in the way of your current injectors, then it should fit without any problems.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Nazrin
4th Gear
If the intercooler is not in the way of your current injectors, then it should fit without any problems.
Thanks Jason....looking forward to next month then...

Old 03-26-2009, 04:39 AM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Originally Posted by MrCooperS
I guess different cars can tune very differently...
Yes, every car is very different indeed. That's why we used the SAME car on the SAME dyno all these tests to provide the most factual info to those who wants a simple, direct and cost-effective path in modding their cars.

Our specialty is in ECU tuning and calibration, and that's one critical factor that should not be overlooked when adding mods to your car. Performance parts will give you some extra hp/tqe, but good tuning is what gets you the MOST performance out of those parts

cheers... off to AMVIV we go!!!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:45 AM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
My primary concern comes from a friend who frequents the Evo forums. There was an Evo on there with one of your tunes and he threw a rod. I'd just like to make sure that it wasn't caused by the tune, and that I won't have to worry about that happening to my car if I decide to go with your remote tune.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Didn't everyone else on this board had their cars tuned on regular 91 or 93 gas before the E85 fuel even came up? So how would you throw a rod getting a car tuned on 91 or 93 octane?

Old 03-26-2009, 11:35 AM
checkmate2006
Banned
My primary concern comes from a friend who frequents the Evo forums. There was an Evo on there with one of your tunes and he threw a rod. I'd just like to make sure that it wasn't caused by the tune, and that I won't have to worry about that happening to my car if I decide to go with your remote tune.
Thats weird never knew a tune that could cause a broken wrist pin and/or fried bearing. Which are causes of throwing, snapped, or bent rods. I have always known that was from low or no oil at all in crankcase.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:46 AM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Originally Posted by checkmate2006
Thats weird never knew a tune that could cause a broken wrist pin and/or fried bearing. Which are causes of throwing, snapped, or bent rods. I have always known that was from low or no oil at all in crankcase.
A bad tune can throw a rod, hell a bad tune can do just about anything to your engine.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:58 AM
checkmate2006
Banned
How built was this evo motor? Did he check or change the oil? I understand a tune can do a lot but when a motor isn't setup for certain level of tune factory spec pistons and rod can't go outside of their engineered tolerances. I would also think that fact the Mynes shop evo has 1000whp they would know exactly what they are doing.....you know.

Last edited by checkmate2006; 03-26-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt very seriously that Mike's tune was the cause of engine parts exiting the block on this Evo...
...it couldn't have been the dude beating the hell out of the car or a missed shift, could it?

Old 03-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
A bad tune can throw a rod, hell a bad tune can do just about anything to your engine.
indirectly... but if you reread checkmate's post. He is correct. DIRECTLY the tune does not throw a rod. It can be the result of catastrophic failure, however, that would mean... you melted a piston... used up your oil... still kept driving... spun a bearing... kept driving.. and then.. yeah.. you finally locked up the motor in which moment you were obviously on the throttle quite hard.. and oh yeah.. you then threw a rod. Yes this can happen quick if you are completely retar....... well Im just gunnah stop there...

Old 03-26-2009, 02:44 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Originally Posted by Tüls
indirectly... but if you reread checkmate's post. He is correct. DIRECTLY the tune does not throw a rod. It can be the result of catastrophic failure, however, that would mean... you melted a piston... used up your oil... still kept driving... spun a bearing... kept driving.. and then.. yeah.. you finally locked up the motor in which moment you were obviously on the throttle quite hard.. and oh yeah.. you then threw a rod. Yes this can happen quick if you are completely retar....... well Im just gunnah stop there...
Haha, ok I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Mynes R53 parts testing results (an upgrade "guide" to your MCS?)