Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Mynes R53 parts testing results (an upgrade "guide" to your MCS?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:48 AM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Yep - for equal length primaries... makes a TON of difference in how the car performs (and sounds) - truly sequential flow of exhaust pulses vs. collisions in the collector yields smoother flow and more consistent pressures. I'm running "the other" equal length header - nice to see more options coming to market.

Wish I had the jetcoat... nice stuff!
Yep, equal length is the way to go. The "other" header works good; we have tuned a few at our shop with good results.

We didn't want any potential exhaust leaks with our design so we made it with bigger ports and did the following:
- insert the runners thru the ports to match the gasket perfect;
- tap the inside of the runners to fit around the inside of the ports;
- weld the inside where the runners meet the ports
- sand and smooth the port channels for perfect airflow
- weld the outside where the runners meet the flange
- sand down and straight-edge the flange for a tight/flat seal to the head

Not to toot my own horn but we thought about just everything and done all the tricks to make the header look good and perform good all the same time

Old 03-25-2009, 07:58 AM
checkmate2006
Banned
Originally Posted by Deviant
If you're really ambitious you can do a car PC setup and have your engine tunes and all the driving "tunes" (ie music) readily at hand.
Touche

Old 03-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Originally Posted by skillet
1. Forgot to ask if the header would require any modification to the exhaust. For instance, my Invidia, would it just bolt right up to it, or would there be some cutting/shortening of my exhaust to make it work?
NONE. It's a direct bolt-on with ZERO modification to your current exhaust (either stock or aftermarket).

2. With this 200 cell cat, does it throw any codes?
NONE at this time. I've had mine in the car for 3 days thus far with no CEL. The same cat has been used in headers for other cars with similar good results.

3 .And just a basic idea for power, this header coupled with an exhaust, 15% pulley and intake would potentially net how much hp/tq....?
This would be a guestimate from my part, but if you look at my original post and the f/u post would the upgrades, you can probably calculate the gains.
- header ~ 9whp/9tqe
- 15% pulley ~ 10whp/9tqe
- intake ~ ?
- Exhaust ~ ? (i'm guessing about 5hp, will let you know once i get mine )
- Custom tune ~ varies from car to car... but this is the critical factor. Parts can give you more power/torque, but a tune is needed to harvest MAXIMUM power potential of your car. The stock ecu has a limited range of how much it can compensate.

4. If I had the E85 tune running and couldn't locate a station with E85, and had to put in 93 octane, could I safely run 93 (if I don't get on the car hard), or would I be screwed? Just thinking about not having the ability to tote a laptop everywhere.
Negative. The E85 requires a lot more fuel so the 93 octane is not going to cut it. It's a pretty risky gamble with high potential repair bill. It can be easily avoided with some planning; just be aware of where your E85 stations are located near where you are and where you are going. Or better yet, keep a $200 laptop in your car for the map switching.

FYI: i'm taking my E85 from Phx to Vegas ~350 miles. There are three E85 stations near the Palace Station hotel where i can fill up, and there's one on the way at Kingman (roughly half-way point). I'll bring a 5-gallon jug with me just in case i get detoured It's not that bad... plus you're in corn-country, i'm sure there will be more stations popping up soon enough.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:11 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike@Mynes
Partsman, if you want more power to compete with the boys, then i'd definitely suggest the good Dr's turbo manifold The twin-charge is a cool design and very quick (TULS TC Mini for instance can keep up with an E55 AMG pretty much, but that was on race gas), but i'm leaning towards the simple/practical single turbo setup. Keep an eye out for the upcoming turbo build that we'll be doing for the "Green Machine"... we are going to add a little twist to the mix and see how our turbo setup compares to the Garrett GT28/30r setups that have been done thus far on Kal's, Joel's, Brian's and Johnny's. Hubie likes the idea and wanted to give it a shot as well
With you guys "a little twist" will more than likely mean big power...i'll keep an eye out for it.

I always thought the TC was cool too...I figure i'd run that for a while and have some fun, and build a stronger short block in the mean time for some serious power later on.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:40 AM
curv872
4th Gear
Will you be testing the stepped header on a larger or ported head soon?

On larger or PORTED heads, the "Stepped" header would probably shine a little more.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Originally Posted by curv872
Will you be testing the stepped header on a larger or ported head soon?
Yes. the testing will be done in Cali shortly after AMVIV.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Luys
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
So if it was normal gas you would be at:

216whp/178ftlbs with the header + cat.

Or the below with E85 and E85 + the header + cat.

234 184 15% Pulley with Bosch 550cc Injectors + Shrick Cam + E85 Fuel
239 189 15% Pulley with Bosch 550cc Injectors + Shrick Cam + E85 Fuel + MegaMynes Header (Cat version)

So the header made 5whp and 5ftlbs.

Why make a non-cat version? The M45 cars are totally un-livable without a cat. Isn't running cat less and E85 an oxymoron ?

Longboard
Hi LB, I have learned now that the M45 cars are totally un-livable without a cat, how can that effect the car? because I am running header without cat.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Luys
Hi LB, I have learned now that the M45 cars are totally un-livable without a cat, how can that effect the car? because I am running header without cat.
Well if it's not to load for you then I guess it's livable. Do a search here and you will find lots of people who did it only to go back because of how load it was. On top of that most agree there is no HP gain going cat-less.

Mike did you do any cat out vs cat in dyno's?

Do you have a pic of the step header?

Longboard

Old 03-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Luys
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
Well if it's not to load for you then I guess it's livable. Do a search here and you will find lots of people who did it only to go back because of how load it was. On top of that most agree there is no HP gain going cat-less.

Mike did you do any cat out vs cat in dyno's?

Do you have a pic of the step header?

Longboard
Actually the sound is very loud but I am handling it . Thanks

Old 03-25-2009, 11:19 AM
skillet
6th Gear
It's not that bad... plus you're in corn-country, i'm sure there will be more stations popping up soon enough.
Well, thanks to Longboard, according to the US Department of Energy, Indiana has 101-200 stations. Unfortunately, there aren't any in my town, which is puzzling as we have a refinery (?) or distribution center... There are however several within any direction of the city (10 minute drive to each). So not bad. I'd just have to make sure I fill up whenever I go by them. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with next!

Old 03-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Pics of the "Stepped-header" updated in Post #7.

The Test-pipe did not provide any add'l power vs the high-flow CAT. Based our results, there are only two reasons why one would choose the test pipe (IMO):
- if you're racing the car at the tracks using Leaded fuel; or
- if you want the car to be a little louder.

The high-flow CAT performs great with no CEL ... can't ask for more than that

Old 03-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Well, thanks to Longboard, according to the US Department of Energy, Indiana has 101-200 stations. Unfortunately, there aren't any in my town, which is puzzling as we have a refinery (?) or distribution center... There are however several within any direction of the city (10 minute drive to each). So not bad. I'd just have to make sure I fill up whenever I go by them. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with next!
Ya you have a ton thanks to a lot of little mom and pop type filling stations. Those don't exist in SoCal any more. It really is a hit or mis depending on your location.

Longboard

Old 03-25-2009, 03:07 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I've read in this thread about E85 the octane rating is that of race gas, and I would assume that tuning on race gas will produce higher gains from all modifications. For those of us in Cali who don't have access to an E85 station, would you be able to show some dyno charts of your parts using 91 octane?

Old 03-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Originally Posted by ninjlao
From what I've read in this thread about E85 the octane rating is that of race gas, and I would assume that tuning on race gas will produce higher gains from all modifications. For those of us in Cali who don't have access to an E85 station, would you be able to show some dyno charts of your parts using 91 octane?
It's all in the "delta"... We know E85 is higher octane so it's going to make more power than 91 octane (Post #5, the net gain from E85 was 23whp and 11wtqe). So if you remove this delta, that's the approx power on 91 Octane.

I would assume that tuning on race gas will produce higher gains from all modifications.
This would be true on a turbo car. But on a SC Mini, we can't raise the boost level on the spot so the higher octane has less direct effect. The torque numbers don't move unless you change something mechanical that alters the Torque (i.e. Cam, pulley or header).

On a turbo car, that's a different story... we can probably up the boost and run 23 or 26 psi b/c the higher octane fuel etc... that's goes back to the same efficiency under the curve argument that i do not wish to address at this time - we all know what a can of worm that can turn into

Old 03-25-2009, 04:29 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
I was under the impression that higher octane gas improves power for both forced induction vehicles and high compression naturally-aspirated engines. What I'm reading from this post is that high compression or forced induction vehicles don't benefit from high octane gas unless it's "tuned" for, is that correct?

The higher octane rating means that it requires more compression before it detonates is that not correct? Isn't this also the reason why it's not recommended to put low octane gas into our engines, as it will cause pre-detonation and ultimately cause the car to go into limp mode. Can you evaluate further on my question as I'm pretty confused now...

It's all in the "delta"... We know E85 is higher octane so it's going to make more power than 91 octane (Post #5, the net gain from E85 was 23whp and 11wtqe). So if you remove this delta, that's the approx power on 91 Octane.

This would be true on a turbo car. But on a SC Mini, we can't raise the boost level on the spot so the higher octane has less direct effect. The torque numbers don't move unless you change something mechanical that alters the Torque (i.e. Cam, pulley or header).

On a turbo car, that's a different story... we can probably up the boost and run 23 or 26 psi b/c the higher octane fuel etc... that's goes back to the same efficiency under the curve argument that i do not wish to address at this time - we all know what a can of worm that can turn into
Also wouldn't high octane gas change the delta if it requires more compression before it detonates?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

Last edited by ninjlao; 03-25-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
I was under the impression that higher octane gas improves power for both forced induction vehicles and high compression naturally-aspirated engines. What I'm reading from this post is that high compression or forced induction vehicles don't benefit from high octane gas unless it's "tuned" for, is that correct?
Here are the "simplified" answers:
=> higher octane = ecu adjusts for more aggressive timing = a little extra power
=> higher octane = ecu adjusts for more aggressive timing + tuning = more power + a little more.

=> higher octane = ecu adjusts for more aggressive timing + tuning + extra BOOST = Extra extra power

Higher octane does not automatically give you more power. It ALLOWS your car to make more power by adding more timing and leaning out the AFR and run higher boost.

If you want to do an experiment, do this: Put some 87 octane in your car, go drive around town for a bit. The ecu is going to pick up more knock with the lower octane and retard timing = which means your car loses power. But there's a limit on how much timing the ECU can pull back. If you keep beating on it, the ecu is not going to compensate for it and your motor will eventually go boom...

cheers.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:58 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Oh I see, so that means that the E85 fuel is allowing you to run a more aggressive timing from the tune which results in more power?

Here are the "simplified" answers:
=> higher octane = ecu adjusts for more aggressive timing = a little extra power
=> higher octane = ecu adjusts for more aggressive timing + tuning = more power + a little more.

=> higher octane = ecu adjusts for more aggressive timing + tuning + extra BOOST = Extra extra power

Higher octane does not automatically give you more power. It ALLOWS your car to make more power by adding more timing and leaning out the AFR and run higher boost.

If you want to do an experiment, do this: Put some 87 octane in your car, go drive around town for a bit. The ecu is going to pick up more knock with the lower octane and retard timing = which means your car loses power. But there's a limit on how much timing the ECU can pull back. If you keep beating on it, the ecu is not going to compensate for it and your motor will eventually go boom...

cheers.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Oh I see, so that means that the E85 fuel is allowing you to run a more aggressive timing from the tune which results in more power?
Correct. It also allows us to lean out the car to a high 11.8 AFR on the higher octane which also results in more HP

Old 03-25-2009, 05:30 PM
ED955S
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This thread will be the most comprehensive technical knowledge reference (power) of all time once all the parts are tested and documented with dyno numbers.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:35 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
So, by advancing the timing to a point where regular 91 Octane gas cannot operate, how does that not skew the delta?

Correct. It also allows us to lean out the car to a high 11.8 AFR on the higher octane which also results in more HP

Old 03-25-2009, 05:47 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI, did a google search for E85 stations here in California, could only find 12, the closest to me is 50 miles

Old 03-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
So, by advancing the timing to a point where regular 91 Octane gas cannot operate, how does that not skew the delta?
how many times can you advance the timing? you can only do that once, right? so each mod that i add give me more "octane" so i can increase the timing

the delta is 23hp and 11tqe, check out Post #9 for some Test numbers on 91 Octane

Old 03-25-2009, 06:01 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
how many times can you advance the timing? you can only do that once, right? so each mod that i add give me more "octane" so i can increase the timing

the delta is 23hp and 11tqe, check out Post #9 for some Test numbers on 91 Octane
I was under the impression that advancing the timing is by degrees, so its possible to advance the timing to a point where if 91 Octane were to be used, it would pre-detonate and cause a whole lotta issues. Can you post the charts of the cars that you tuned? I'd like to see the delta on those, and if possible see how much power the MegaMynes header makes on 91 Octane gas.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Post #8 updated with the results of the Invidia Exhaust.

Final number: 248 198 15% Pulley with Bosch 550cc Injectors + Shrick Cam + E85 Fuel + MegaMynes Header (Straight version)+ Invidia Exhaust

Heading off to AMVIV... Catch you guys when we get back

Old 03-25-2009, 06:05 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Here are some of the results on 91 Octane Shell Gasoline. I will update the graphs after AMVIV - trying to pack things up right now)..

Customer #1)
2004 MCS with 17%; Milltek, 550cc Bosch; Newman Cam, RMW header; 228whp/189wtqe

Customer #2)
2005 MCS with 550cc Bosch, 15%, CAI, Milltek, 222whp/175wtqe

Customer #3)
2004 MCS with 15%, 2% crank, OBX header, Bosch 550cc, Shrick Cam, MegaMini Stage I Head, electric waterpump, aftermarket exhaust (forget what kind) = 244whp/179wtqe
Is that chart accurate?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Mynes R53 parts testing results (an upgrade "guide" to your MCS?)