Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain New custom Mangnaflow catback

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:28 AM
LONO
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New custom Mangnaflow catback

Had a custom Magnaflow catback installed today. First impressions I am happy with it. It is a not as audible in the cabin as I would have expected but it sounds good. No drone but is a little boomy at WOT. I expect the boominess to calm down with age. Pics attached. Waiting on youtube to process vid.

Attached Thumbnails New custom Mangnaflow catback-dsc03186.jpg   New custom Mangnaflow catback-dsc03187.jpg  
Old 12-18-2008, 11:33 AM
LONO
2nd Gear
Old 12-18-2008, 12:12 PM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no droning? perhaps after it breaks in but around 3100 rpm, 2.5 inch piping after the resonator, the droning is def. evident in my car...

did you keep the stock piping?

Old 12-18-2008, 12:19 PM
LONO
2nd Gear
Yes stock piping, no droning so far if it starts I will go back stock.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:06 PM
blk91stang
Neutral
I assume you didn't delete the resonator? Just replaced the muffler and tips?

I have the muffler and tips, trying to decide if I should run 2.5" from the 2nd cat and delete the resonator or keep it...

Old 12-20-2008, 08:37 AM
pillar
5th Gear
i have 2.5 after the resonator... it drones. if anything, get an aftermarket resonator

Old 12-20-2008, 12:11 PM
blk91stang
Neutral
Seems like I will probably run 2.5" from the 2nd cat and delete the resonator for now. Add one in an aftermarket if I don't like it I suppose...

Old 12-20-2008, 12:38 PM
pillar
5th Gear
tell me how it sounds... just something you should remind the exhaust shop incase they arent competent...

there is a black brace that sits after the resonator... make sure the piping clears it, otherwise you are gonna hear some metal on metal rubbage. if you have no idea what im saying, when they lift your car, youll see.

my transition pipe from stock to 2.5 is right above the brace and was too low that it completely interfered with the brace. we ended up placing washers and a rubber strip on the brace to prevent the pipe from bobbing up and down. i guess its alright but it should have been avoided from the getgo

edit: just a thought, i think the cat has more resistance being its nature and its location closer to the dp... you could also consider removing just the 2nd cat and keeping the resonator... of course, it will be more work and youll need more transition pipes to get it from dp -> 2.5 -> stock -> resonator -> 2.5...

just a thought

Old 12-20-2008, 04:19 PM
blk91stang
Neutral
Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind when I get it done this coming Tuesday. I know exactly what your talking about with the brace. I'm not really looking for performance as I have a mustang for that.... just trying to upgrade the sound and looks a little while keeping my fingers out of stuff that might get me in trouble as its my daily commuter car. Will get a vid and feedback next week!

BTW- Where in Maryland are you from. I stay in Waldorf every week and commute to Dickerson, Aquasco, @ Morgantown. Go back to Jersey every Friday.

OP- Sorry for the thread hijack.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:43 PM
LONO
2nd Gear
This was just a sound upgrade for me also, I don't think that there is much power to be had with a catback. BTW I still have the resonator and do not think I would like for it to be removed with this setup.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:25 AM
pillar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by blk91stang
Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind when I get it done this coming Tuesday. I know exactly what your talking about with the brace. I'm not really looking for performance as I have a mustang for that.... just trying to upgrade the sound and looks a little while keeping my fingers out of stuff that might get me in trouble as its my daily commuter car. Will get a vid and feedback next week!

BTW- Where in Maryland are you from. I stay in Waldorf every week and commute to Dickerson, Aquasco, @ Morgantown. Go back to Jersey every Friday.

OP- Sorry for the thread hijack.
north of baltimore city, just outside the 695 beltway. as a college student, im only here for the break and will make my way to Dickinson college up in no-where (unless you love corvettes and go to their shows) carlisle PA. too bad there arnt any mini meets in md... if there are, please tell me!

Originally Posted by LONO
This was just a sound upgrade for me also, I don't think that there is much power to be had with a catback. BTW I still have the resonator and do not think I would like for it to be removed with this setup.
+1

Old 12-21-2008, 12:33 PM
chickenplucker
2nd Gear
Drive that thing!

No offense intended (what a way to start a post ) , this comment is about all exhaust videos posted on youtube and not directed at you personally.

I find a video of someone revving their engine a few times doesn't provide any info whatsoever about how the exhaust will sound when driving and hence, not productive to spend time listening to if one is searching for examples of how an exhaust would sound on their car.

I wasted several hours on youtube weeding through exhaust clips when I was searching for the exhaust I wanted.

I'd love to hear a clip of you actually driving the vehicle with your new exhaust.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:25 PM
LONO
2nd Gear
I understand what you are saying and will try to get a drive by vid. Could take a few days with work and the holiday.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:16 AM
BostonR56S
Banned
Yes stock piping, no droning so far if it starts I will go back stock.
how is it a catback if its stock piping? all you did was change the muffler, no?
catback would indicate that it is an aftermarket exhaust from the cat- back

Old 01-03-2009, 12:30 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did a shop do this?

The muffler isn't lined up properly in the exhaust cutout. Its bugging me every time I go back up to look at it.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:54 AM
Mini Bo Bini
2nd Gear
I had a Magnaflow catback installed about 4 months ago. Went with 3" stainless mandrel bent piping from the 2nd resonator back with 4" tips on the rear which, I might add, LOOKS AWESOME!! Left the resonator to avoid CEL's, warranty issues, and state inspection laws here in Texas.

No droning at speed and sounds great at WOT. I noticed an immediate difference in performance from stopped to any speed, but especially when passing.

Highly recommend this mod!!

Old 01-03-2009, 02:02 PM
LONO
2nd Gear
I haven't noticed a performance gain but I think I may have a boost leak around my alta gauge port. Have not had time to get under the hood to make sure that is the problems, I did a quick look around the other day and all hoses are intact and well mounted so must be the gauge adapter. I am not having any drone but it is def much louder than before. Sounds good but it may end up being to loud for my daily driver. I am waiting some more miles to see if it mellows out or I lose a little more hearing.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:04 PM
LONO
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
Did a shop do this?

The muffler isn't lined up properly in the exhaust cutout. Its bugging me every time I go back up to look at it.

Yes it was done by a shop and the angle that the pic is shot from makes it look as if it is not lined up. It is lined up well, just an optical illusion in that pic.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:05 PM
LONO
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BostonR56S
how is it a catback if its stock piping? all you did was change the muffler, no?
catback would indicate that it is an aftermarket exhaust from the cat- back

You are correct, not a catback more like a resonator back. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:10 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes it was done by a shop and the angle that the pic is shot from makes it look as if it is not lined up. It is lined up well, just an optical illusion in that pic.
But its not lined up.

Its cockeyed and to the left. Its not an illusion.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:15 PM
LONO
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
But its not lined up.

Its cockeyed and to the left. Its not an illusion.
When I walk outside to my garage it looks to be straight. Trust me on this it is not cockeyed.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:59 PM
D-Unit
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pillar
too bad there arnt any mini meets in md... if there are, please tell me!
Do you know about DC Metro MINIs?

Old 01-05-2009, 08:34 AM
isaac012
1st Gear
Part Numbers?

I want to just replace the muffler and tips with Magnaflow. Just interested in better sound but don't have the cash to do a performance upgrade (yet). Does anyone know the PART NUMBER on the magnaflow muffler that will work? The shop I've talked to says they can't even give me an idea of how much it'll cost until they know what muffler I want.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:18 PM
fm.illuminatus
2nd Gear
hmm, it's not that loud?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:26 PM
LONO
2nd Gear
The part number listed on my invoice is 14807.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain New custom Mangnaflow catback