Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain MINI Madness R56 Software Tuning and Performance Packages

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 05:22 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 09-20-2008, 11:59 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtsoccer6
well since that is no where in question seeing how I have 8600 miles on my car in factory warranty, I guess for now low 200s will due. Perfectly fine with that for now...especially if a proper tune can atleast get it up in the 218 to 225WHP. Possible or also far fetched? Thanks for the tips and not letting me get my hopes to high lol.

Is your car automatic?

Old 09-21-2008, 12:07 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
no sir, 6spd.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:13 AM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
Alright.... so to get this thread BACK on track..

Is there anyone who has any personal information regarding this new ECU tuning? ALTA has since pulled their option off the website, so maybe they also have a new solution?

I have my checkbook ready and waiting for a clean ECU solution. Ultimately, I'd like to see the "Shark Injector" version for the R56... but sadly, he isnt supporting the MINI market. That was the way to go for the e36 and e46 M's

Old 09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Was pure13's issue with the refund or retune ever done? I read EVERYTHING that Bigshot was posting about and because like he said, the thread is closed, and was wondering the outcome?

Bigshot, thanks for the information, not sure if many R56 owners knew of this. Something to consider in regards to purchasing the Evotech brand.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Monorail
Neutral
High possibility I will pull the trigger on this ecu upgrade next week. I will post up before and after dynos for sure.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:57 AM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Monorail
High possibility I will pull the trigger on this ecu upgrade next week. I will post up before and after dynos for sure.

Great, hope to see the results!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:59 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Yeah, post the numbers so we can see what we are buying!! Thanks Jace!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:01 AM
searocko
4th Gear
Before and after dynos of just the ECU flash, before the rest of the hardware in the package is installed, will be a lot more valuable.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:20 AM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
I would like to raise a contradiction about the stock turbo's efficiency... that seems to be dispelled by dyno graphs (especially from the ones at the top of this thread):

Most of the arguments or feelings are that the turbo runs out of steam before the redline, so there is no headroom above it (or you should get severe cutoff of power gains or possible detonation)

From the graphs...if that was true, any power gains about 5500RPM would/should drop right back near the stock curves (if the turbo was really out of gas). Also, it appears to be not leaned out at the top.

This really looks like a great - almost too good to be true - scenario.. and proves that this turbo should be more than enough for this car.

Already, with a catback and intake mods, ive noticed a slight lag (more than stock) in my car... but the top end has improved dramatically over stock. I am currently very pleased to have a more rev happy car than torque at 1500rpm.

Coming from an M3, I really miss having a larger RPM band to play in... id love to even get another 350rpm or whatever this tune gives (as long as it is safe).

Old 09-27-2008, 07:58 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
SuwaneeM3, you make a good point. I too have noticed a slight lag with my mods as well, however, the power I have gained outweighs any small lag I experience. I think the thing everyone forgets is this a 1.6 litre car that we are trying to make into a rocket No problems with that at all, but we should remember, it's not an M3.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Monorail
Neutral
Originally Posted by SuwaneeM3
I would like to raise a contradiction about the stock turbo's efficiency... that seems to be dispelled by dyno graphs (especially from the ones at the top of this thread):

Most of the arguments or feelings are that the turbo runs out of steam before the redline, so there is no headroom above it (or you should get severe cutoff of power gains or possible detonation)

From the graphs...if that was true, any power gains about 5500RPM would/should drop right back near the stock curves (if the turbo was really out of gas). Also, it appears to be not leaned out at the top.
You are also forgetting that it is a complete tune. Therefore, I would suspect that there is more ignition at higher rpms to continue the power curve. This is common on many small turbo cars like a VW 1.8t or Subaru wrx. Once the turbo runs out of breath (usually around the peak TQ number) they can add timing and fuel to extract more power.

If it was only a tune for boost (similar to many plug and prays, IMO) then you would likely see power dropping a lot after peak boost like you mentioned.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hopper
Yep, really. I have spent a LOT of money with Alta and am very disappointed that they would have so little regard for customer satisfaction.
I 2nd that... based on the little help (wait that was NO help!!)I received from Alta on this issue I will probably never buy from them again. And if the NEW plugs I get this week don't fix the problem I will raise a big stink and rant on both Alta (for selling me a product that was/is faulty that they knew had problems) and rag on Unichip for sending out bad units . How many of you out there if you buy a bad product that doesnt work, cant take it back?? I tell you I have never ran into a company that wouldnt take it back if it is bad, well you can add Alta to that list!!

Old 09-28-2008, 05:16 AM
hopper
3rd Gear
Hang in there, yoiu'll eventually get it resolved. Be careful REMOVING the new plugs! They are so tight that I've had them come apart when trying to remove them.

Good luck.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:22 AM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
You are also forgetting that it is a complete tune. Therefore, I would suspect that there is more ignition at higher rpms to continue the power curve. This is common on many small turbo cars like a VW 1.8t or Subaru wrx. Once the turbo runs out of breath (usually around the peak TQ number) they can add timing and fuel to extract more power.

If it was only a tune for boost (similar to many plug and prays, IMO) then you would likely see power dropping a lot after peak boost like you mentioned.
No. im not forgetting that. If this was a NA car, you cant tell me that by cranking up the timing that you will get 40hp at 6k rpm. The turbo, while maybe not in peak efficiency, still is contributing 90% of that power gain. Any normally aspirated car will get 5% max gain from a ECU tune.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Monorail
Neutral
I pulled the trigger last week with my Clubman with zero modifications. Here is the dyno sheet. I have to say that I am very happy with the results. Drivability and power is improved all around and I am seeing slightly better gas mileage IF I can stay out of the throttle, which has been difficult. Overall I made about 15hp to the wheels and 20tq. There was another highly modded R56 there with a huge intercooler (m7 I think) and full turbo back exhuast. That car made significantly more power with the flash then mine did...so I guess a downpipe and exhaust is next for me. This could start getting expensive!!
Oh my car is automatic trans..

Attached Thumbnails MINI Madness R56 Software Tuning and Performance Packages-r56_clubman_dyno.jpg  
Old 10-09-2008, 06:35 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I pulled the trigger last week with my Clubman with zero modifications. Here is the dyno sheet. I have to say that I am very happy with the results. Drivability and power is improved all around and I am seeing slightly better gas mileage IF I can stay out of the throttle, which has been difficult. Overall I made about 15hp to the wheels and 20tq. There was another highly modded R56 there with a huge intercooler (m7 I think) and full turbo back exhuast. That car made significantly more power with the flash then mine did...so I guess a downpipe and exhaust is next for me. This could start getting expensive!!
You ONLY did the ecu retune? No other mods?

I ask because I thought I read 44HP increase with two other mods...

Thanks,

Mark

Old 10-09-2008, 07:24 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear

I might have to pay Richard a visit over there next time I'm back home in Scottsdale . Glad to see that the R56 EvoTech is a little more serious than the version for the R53...which was a joke.

Can you comment on pricing?

Old 10-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Monorail
Neutral
Originally Posted by orangecrush
You ONLY did the ecu retune? No other mods?

I ask because I thought I read 44HP increase with two other mods...

Thanks,

Mark
No other mods...

Old 10-10-2008, 09:02 AM
hopper
3rd Gear
Keep us posted as to how it goes relative to CEL's, do you notice the diff in dynamic stability interference, etc....

Old 10-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Monorail
Neutral
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
I might have to pay Richard a visit over there next time I'm back home in Scottsdale . Glad to see that the R56 EvoTech is a little more serious than the version for the R53...which was a joke.

Can you comment on pricing?
..you know Rich then, full retail of $849, but he did throw in free dyno time.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:22 AM
LONO
2nd Gear
Thanks for posting Monorail.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:16 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
wow I was quoted at 925.00 without a dyno run and that is just for the tune. What's up with that?

Old 10-10-2008, 08:31 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dtsoccer6
wow I was quoted at 925.00 without a dyno run and that is just for the tune. What's up with that?
DynoComp (the place where he did it at...) is like the main distributor for EvoTech stuff in the US I believe. They make software for all sorts of euro cars. They are also one of the main RennTech tuners/distributors (Mercedes) in the country, who actually uses EvoTech for all their software tuning. Similar to how Madness uses EvoTech as well.

So, thats prob why his pricing was different, they can name whatever price they want basically.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain MINI Madness R56 Software Tuning and Performance Packages