Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Flywheel & Clutch Suggestions Wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:26 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flywheel & Clutch Suggestions Wanted.

My clutch action is getting a bit notchy after 63,000 miles, indicating worn clutch springs and iminent clutch failure. As a result I am looking into appropriate replacement parts. Because of the very slow engine windup in neutral, shifting speed is also constrained. I am guessing, the primary cause is the boat anchor used as the OEM flywheel.

Any suggestions on a super light, extremely reliable flywheel, and any suggestions on a good high performance, long-life clutch?

Any issues experienced with light flywheels (engine balancing issues, need to resize harmonic balancer, etc.)?

Old 09-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
The engine is internally balanced and the flywheel and crank damper pulley are zero balanced, so you don't have to worry about any re-balancing with just changing the flywheel.

I've used ClutchMasters clutches a couple times in the past...and I have an FX200 in my current '02 MCS. I highly recommend them, however they are not for the faint of heart as they have much more prominent clutch engagement, they're not floppy and mindless like stock. The FX100 clutch, however, uses an organic disk like stock and may be reasonable to drive around as a daily driver. I've also heard from respectible sources that Exedy and ACT are solid choices.

Regarding lightweight flywheels, you'll have to be willing to accept a bit more clutch disk rattle in neutral as there are no dual-mass flywheels available [thank goodness!]. Light fly's certainly make shifting and rev-matching easier, however they do make the car tougher to launch. Don't go super-light; a 12 pound flywheel is plenty light at less than half the weight of stock. Don't go cheap on the flywheel, get one that is SFI certified, zero balanced, and has a good starter ring gear. Crappier flywheels will have ring gears that have awful meshing and pressure plate guide pins that can pop out!

Good luck,
Ryan

P.S. This should be in 1st gen perf mods: drivetrain

Last edited by Ryephile; 09-09-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:09 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile
The engine is internally balanced and the flywheel and crank damper pulley are zero balanced, so you don't have to worry about any re-balancing with just changing the flywheel.

I've used ClutchMasters clutches a couple times in the past...and I have an FX200 in my current '02 MCS. I highly recommend them, however they are not for the faint of heart as they have much more prominent clutch engagement, they're not floppy and mindless like stock. The FX100 clutch, however, uses an organic disk like stock and may be reasonable to drive around as a daily driver. I've also heard from respectible sources that Exedy and ACT are solid choices.

Regarding lightweight flywheels, you'll have to be willing to accept a bit more clutch disk rattle in neutral as there are no dual-mass flywheels available [thank goodness!]. Light fly's certainly make shifting and rev-matching easier, however they do make the car tougher to launch. Don't go super-light; a 12 pound flywheel is plenty light at less than half the weight of stock. Don't go cheap on the flywheel, get one that is SFI certified, zero balanced, and has a good starter ring gear. Crappier flywheels will have ring gears that have awful meshing and pressure plate guide pins that can pop out!

Good luck,
Ryan
Thank you for the clarification on the balancing issue. I thought the engine was internally ballanced, but wanted confirmation.

I have experience with full race clutches and have no concerns about pedal pressure or "go/no-go" friction points. The FX200 may be the right choice

As you recommend, I would not be looking for anything less 10 or 12lbs on the flywheel and I am definitely looking for top quality. Given the enormity of the r&r on this job, it makes no sense to try to save a few bucks on a flywheel (and ringgear combo) Any brand recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the good advice.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:33 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had an FX200 installed last March at 134k miles. It is now slipping at 152k miles. And I am NOT one to abuse a clutch. My OEM went 134k,after all.
Won't be replacing it with another FX200.

Jim