Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain alta inlet and boost tubes!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:16 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does alta open on saturdays? =p i called but no one was home =]. adam ill try to get a hold of you in the week, i work weird hours!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:08 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by got.pho?
does alta open on saturdays? =p i called but no one was home =]. adam ill try to get a hold of you in the week, i work weird hours!
Yeah we are generally open Saturday's but we all had a few outside events to work on. If it is ever urgent just PM me your cell and I will ring you. Even on the weekends! Happy to help! Chat soon!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Speedin Bob
2nd Gear
Adam,

I received my inlet and boost tubes today. Thank you for quick and complete shipment.

Just my .02 on the inlet tube as it was all I was able to do today. I'm not quite happy with the fitment and will give it another go around in better light but have the stock tube in the trunk and appropriate wrenches handy.

Both connection points, the cold side of the turbo and the MAF end need to be about .5 to 75" longer so it allows for a little more flex when the engine rocks under hard acceleration and not binding the tube during the install by to having to force it onto each end at a time while fighting to hold it and work the wrench to tighten the clamps.

Again, not a dig on the product. I'd be more than happy to test one with the aforementioned suggestion.

Bob

Old 09-18-2008, 08:37 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Speedin Bob
Adam,

I received my inlet and boost tubes today. Thank you for quick and complete shipment.

Just my .02 on the inlet tube as it was all I was able to do today. I'm not quite happy with the fitment and will give it another go around in better light but have the stock tube in the trunk and appropriate wrenches handy.

Both connection points, the cold side of the turbo and the MAF end need to be about .5 to 75" longer so it allows for a little more flex when the engine rocks under hard acceleration and not binding the tube during the install by to having to force it onto each end at a time while fighting to hold it and work the wrench to tighten the clamps.

Again, not a dig on the product. I'd be more than happy to test one with the aforementioned suggestion.

Bob
Hey Bob,

Lets get so faux-toes sent over to my e-mail and lets check it out. If it is wrong, we will send a new one. No issue!

Chat soon!

Old 09-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Speedin Bob
2nd Gear
Adam,

Photos headed your way and thank you for the reply.

Bob

Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Hey Bob,

Lets get so faux-toes sent over to my e-mail and lets check it out. If it is wrong, we will send a new one. No issue!

Chat soon!

Old 09-20-2008, 10:33 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
would some nice boost clamps be able to make it my way? =]

ALSO!!!!!! today one of the tubes popped off under light accel, which is weird bc it was been under full boost A LOT. Anyways, now i have a check engine light. Any way to make it go away other than the dealer?

Old 09-21-2008, 05:13 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
would some nice boost clamps be able to make it my way? =]

ALSO!!!!!! today one of the tubes popped off under light accel, which is weird bc it was been under full boost A LOT. Anyways, now i have a check engine light. Any way to make it go away other than the dealer?
I can help with anything you need. The fact that one of them came off, might be either the clamp breaking, but only if it was grossly overtightened. More than likely it was something else, but lets discuss via phone so we can remedy that. Might just be a fluke.

The light can be cleared a few ways. One is to remove the neg battery terminal lead, press on the brake pedal, reconnect and go. If the light is still on, then you may have to cycle the key 5-10 times to start.

Keep me posted!

Old 09-21-2008, 06:32 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
Ill call in the morning when i lift up the mini. hope you guys are open then. prob not tho =].. stupid odd hours

Old 09-21-2008, 06:40 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Ill call in the morning when i lift up the mini. hope you guys are open then. prob not tho =].. stupid odd hours
Us having odd hours? What about you east coast people that make us all get up early?

Any hooski, I am in the office after 8:30. If I am not, ask for Chris or Christina. We gots ya handled!

Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 AM
got.pho?
4th Gear
well problem solved, for now and hopefully for a long time just to let every1 know it was NOT alta's fault, it was mine. on the install, the fan gets in the way a bit with trying to put on the clamp, there was the error of my ways! this morning i pushed it o like crazy and poked at the clamp so it was side to side with the fan

But aside from that I have 2 things
1. I bought some nice driving shoes from RBK for 40% off and they def made a difference in my morning commute =]

2. Adam, do you think we an get a deal on those perrin t bolt clamps?

Old 09-22-2008, 07:10 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
well problem solved, for now and hopefully for a long time just to let every1 know it was NOT alta's fault, it was mine. on the install, the fan gets in the way a bit with trying to put on the clamp, there was the error of my ways! this morning i pushed it o like crazy and poked at the clamp so it was side to side with the fan

But aside from that I have 2 things
1. I bought some nice driving shoes from RBK for 40% off and they def made a difference in my morning commute =]

2. Adam, do you think we an get a deal on those perrin t bolt clamps?
VERY kool! glad that was resolved.

1) Good for you.

2) Certainly. PM me your e-mail addy and what you want and I am all over it!

Thanks again!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 AM
MiniBAH
3rd Gear
My turn. Firstly, thanks to Ken & Adam @ Alta for my stuff. Got my shipment which includes M7 coilovers, rear sway bar, and Alta Inlet Tube.

Install took about 5 mins, and here are some pix:

1. The Alta Inlet Tube

2. Alta vs. Stock

3. Gaps after installation

Again, not a perfect fit but it seems like it'll do. Switched the car on and all is fine, but will take it out for a spin in about an hour. I think Alta needs to make these tubes a little longer.

Will post my experience after the test drive.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:40 AM
got.pho?
4th Gear
why is your engine bay so dirty?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:47 AM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Not only should the tubes be longer so they can be custom fitted to each car, but the crankcase vent return need to be rotated at least 5 to 8 degrees towards the front. It is very visible in this pic its too far down ....

The bottom curve is also too shallow compared to the original which when installed, makes the crankcase vent hole rotate even more in the wrong direction, thus making the fitting worst.

Also if the crankcase vent hole was moved a little further up the tube, it would give everyone more working room to the make the hose fit better and tighter no matter what CAI you are using.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 AM
MiniBAH
3rd Gear
My engine bay is dirty because I live on a desert island and we get sand storms like crazy.. you can't even crack open a window without it turning into a beach

I agree with the suggestion above, thats why I posted the picture from that angle. You can see the difference in design.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:17 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess my problem mimics the one you have. My Alta intake is about 1.25" too short and the angle is a little off (but not bad on mine). Bottom line is that the entire intake has to be tilted forward to install. It makes it difficult as the intake is balanced only on two points rather than sitting on four rubber grommets. When you press the accelerator, the intake twists substantially because it is not stable on four points. I do not like this instability. I believe that some of the fit isues as pictured is because the tube is too short. I like the idea of custom trimming with a longer intake but prefer one that has a better fit out of the box.

I have already been in contact with Alta about this. I would like to ask Adam Taft for his help to speed this up.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:23 AM
got.pho?
4th Gear
custom trim would be sweet, if not... i just hope my inlet fits perfect when it comes

Old 09-22-2008, 11:43 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Have fun installing the boost tube especially the one on the cold side.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:38 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MiniBAH
My turn. Firstly, thanks to Ken & Adam @ Alta for my stuff. Got my shipment which includes M7 coilovers, rear sway bar, and Alta Inlet Tube.

1. The Alta Inlet Tube

2. Alta vs. Stock

Again, not a perfect fit but it seems like it'll do. Switched the car on and all is fine, but will take it out for a spin in about an hour. I think Alta needs to make these tubes a little longer.

Thanks for the post! Glad you got things in hand.

1) On the inlet at the turbo, take the clamp loosen it a bit, push the tube onto the turbo and re-tighten. Should resolve that minor gap there.

2) On the inlet at the air box, that should go slightly farther, if not let me know.

Thanks again!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:39 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by morbius
Not only should the tubes be longer so they can be custom fitted to each car, but the crankcase vent return need to be rotated at least 5 to 8 degrees towards the front. It is very visible in this pic its too far down ....

The bottom curve is also too shallow compared to the original which when installed, makes the crankcase vent hole rotate even more in the wrong direction, thus making the fitting worst.

Also if the crankcase vent hole was moved a little further up the tube, it would give everyone more working room to the make the hose fit better and tighter no matter what CAI you are using.
If you note in the photo, the two aren't resting at the same angle on the table. Virtually rotate either one to match the other and you will see that they are on the same plane.

BTW: You mentioned to me in another thread you do manufacturing. What type? Just curious!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:43 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by slinger688
I guess my problem mimics the one you have. My Alta intake is about 1.25" too short and the angle is a little off (but not bad on mine). Bottom line is that the entire intake has to be tilted forward to install. It makes it difficult as the intake is balanced only on two points rather than sitting on four rubber grommets. When you press the accelerator, the intake twists substantially because it is not stable on four points. I do not like this instability. I believe that some of the fit isues as pictured is because the tube is too short. I like the idea of custom trimming with a longer intake but prefer one that has a better fit out of the box.

I have already been in contact with Alta about this. I would like to ask Adam Taft for his help to speed this up.
I'm here! Do you mean intake or INLET?

PLEASE PM me or e-mail me my contact information is below.

I can help ASAP, if you get me the info.

THANK YOU, sorry for any issues or concerns.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
If you note in the photo, the two aren't resting at the same angle on the table. Virtually rotate either one to match the other and you will see that they are on the same plane.

BTW: You mentioned to me in another thread you do manufacturing. What type? Just curious!
Sorry, but even if rotated to be exactly the same the position of the crankcase inlet in terms of degrees is still wrong. If you want to keep the crankcase vent inlet in that position, then it should be moved up the tube roughly one inch/24 mm. If you take a hose, cut off the crankcase vent inlet, then mount the tube on a R56 and experiment on the positioning of the cut-off inlet, you will see what I mean.

What manufacturing have I done .... Quite a wide range from precision machines to semi-conductor manufacturing to prototyping.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:04 PM
nammerz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBAH

1. The Alta Inlet Tube

2. Alta vs. Stock

man look at that gap. thats insane. did you force the tube the best you can and ended up getting this? thats almost as much as my tube.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:13 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by nammerz
man look at that gap. thats insane. did you force the tube the best you can and ended up getting this? thats almost as much as my tube.

I just realized something from that picture. The car shown doesnt appear to have a MAF sensor. While not a BIG deal it could benefit from a bit longer hose, as the US cars with MAF sensors require shorter hoses.

I think the hose must be able to be pushed farther onto the turbo as the PCV vent isn't close to the water line.

I honestly think a minor adjustment on this car and everything will be a-ok!

Old 09-22-2008, 02:15 PM
MiniBAH
3rd Gear
In all honestly, I forced the tube as much as possible and had a handy electric screwdriver to help me tighten the clamp quickly. I'm sure if I try more I won't be able to get better results.

On the upside, butt dyno gives it a

Quick Reply: Drivetrain alta inlet and boost tubes!!