Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Plugs/Plugs+Wires/Plugs+Wires+Coils?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Archanum
Plugs/Plugs+Wires/Plugs+Wires+Coils?

Hi All,

Just started looking into the topic of spark plugs for my ride and was hoping for some input. I did some searchs and a lot of what I found was very specific and a little over my head. So....a dumbed down view of things would be appreciated. Keep in mind this is a daily driver, with some spirited driving.

My car is a 2005 S with ~39K miles.

And on to the questions:

1. At what point in the life of a MINI should plugs be considered for replacement?

2. What benefit is there from putting on higher end wires? Any suggestions on brand?

3. What benefit from putting on higher end coil packs? Any suggestions on brand?

4. Any tricks to doing the replacement?

5. Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks!
Brian

Old 06-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Archanum

And on to the questions:

1. At what point in the life of a MINI should plugs be considered for replacement?

2. What benefit is there from putting on higher end wires? Any suggestions on brand?

3. What benefit from putting on higher end coil packs? Any suggestions on brand?

Thanks!
Brian
1) I do mine every 20-25k, your mileage may vary.
2) None really, the stock ones work fine. On the set I tested, the resistance was very consistent per length of wire.
3) None really, the stock one works fine.
4) It's pretty straight forward, just do them one at a time.
5) Just take your time, and you'll be fine.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Artaniz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And on to the questions:

Thanks!
Brian
I do not own a MCS, I have a 05 MC.
I did put some nology hot wires on as well as some Iridium Spark Plugs.

I did feel a slight difference. Nothing to be excited about, but the main difference was better gas millage. about 1-2mpg's more.

All in all i think it was worth it, i believe only spark plugs will do. but if you are looking for performance, don't expect much.

PS. at $4.50 for premium gas. the extra 1-2mpg helps

Good luck,

Artaniz

Old 06-17-2008, 12:03 PM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
I noticed a big difference going with iridium plugs and some 8mm 100ohm wires. But I'm sure that 99% of the noticeable difference was because my plugs had 50k on them and my wires had about 90k on them. I think they would only perform better than stock if you are pumping so much more air and fuel that the stock ones can't handle it. Since there are many people with 250+ hp on stock wires...it's not necessary. You may want lower temp plugs if you're worried about detonation. Don't even bother with the coil. It's as much a waste of money as $200 plugs.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Nitrominis
Banned
Hi All,

Thanks!
Brian
1) I do mine every time I do a track day or about every 10K. A bit excessive but plugs are cheap.
2) The stock (OEM) ones work fine. However even though the no load resistance is consistent per length of wire under load (higher voltage) the resistance gets increased. So a set of wire like MSD or Jacobs wires as an example that are designed to handle the higher voltage may be a better choice for spirited driving.
3) Here again the stock one is more then adequate for normal use but fall short on rise time under the load demand of spirited driving. The only one I would recommend is stay stock or MSD.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Archanum
Thanks for all the feedback!

I did forget one question. Which brand of plugs to people recommend? (Cheap price, but good level of quality)

Old 06-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by Nitrominis
1) I do mine every time I do a track day or about every 10K. A bit excessive but plugs are cheap.
2) The stock (OEM) ones work fine. However even though the no load resistance is consistent per length of wire under load (higher voltage) the resistance gets increased. So a set of wire like MSD or Jacobs wires as an example that are designed to handle the higher voltage may be a better choice for spirited driving.
3) Here again the stock one is more then adequate for normal use but fall short on rise time under the load demand of spirited driving. The only one I would recommend is stay stock or MSD.
This post looks very familiar. I concur about the wires, both manufacturers listed above make excellent wire sets.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I did forget one question. Which brand of plugs to people recommend? (Cheap price, but good level of quality)
I would recommend the stock plugs. I've never seen an issue with the stock plugs blowing out of the head. You can also get them one step colder(JCW) is you decide to do a pulley upgrade.