Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Invidia Q300 R56 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 03:56 PM
old81
M6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, that sounds pretty decent. I'm glad the link was fixed. This one is still sitting at the top of my list.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Sounds nice...I think I may to get me one of those...

Old 06-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
BTW...Is that Rusty's car or Thumper's car? How is the drone? And since I have a slush box...will that effect the sound any?

Old 06-22-2008, 05:17 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Auto_Pilot
BTW...Is that Rusty's car or Thumper's car? How is the drone? And since I have a slush box...will that effect the sound any?
That's Thumper's car. My car is a LOT louder...

He's driving back to AZ tonight so probably won't be around to answer questions for a few hours. No drone to speak of. You can barely tell there's an exhaust with the windows up. It's very mellow until you get on it.

Automatic won't make any difference in the sound, but obviously the shift points will sound different. For instance, on a stick, most exhausts wind up, then cut out for a second, and wind up the next gear. Auto's have a tendency to wind out, then the cutout for the gear shift is a lot less obvious.

Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:12 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Yup, tis my car!

Just got back from a 5.5 hr drive from CA to Phoenix with it. I don't know how to describe this accurately, the exhaust is not loud by any means, however, when it been warmed up on the highway, there is somewhat of a drone. I typically travel between 85 - 95 on my journey through the desert and this is where it occurs. Going 65-70 as you would on a city freeway, its silent until you get on it. So I guess that's what matters the most.

Just from the nature of a turbo exhaust, its very muffled and therefore the "drone" that I am speaking of is muffled as well. It's not an obnoxious high pitched drone that people think of when they hear the word "drone". Just a low pitched hummmmmm.

I do love it though!!

Old 06-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Just what I wanted to here...I think I've found my exhaust. I like hearing my exhaust...I can't hear it with the stock one Not that it's Lexus quiet, but it has no real presence in my opinion.

Now I'm torn...coilover or exhaust??? I'm still waiting for megan or Koni to come out with their suspension...but I can have the exhaust now. What to do...what to do

Old 06-23-2008, 01:34 PM
sir5150
3rd Gear
Do the exhaust first you will like it I have it on my MCSa and love the sound. coilovers are next on the list. I also just did my own cai , strut bar and top plates.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:47 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
I drove it and loved it its a great exaust....

Old 06-23-2008, 04:25 PM
6th Gear
Just what I wanted to here...I think I've found my exhaust. I like hearing my exhaust...I can't hear it with the stock one Not that it's Lexus quiet, but it has no real presence in my opinion.

Now I'm torn...coilover or exhaust??? I'm still waiting for megan or Koni to come out with their suspension...but I can have the exhaust now. What to do...what to do
I'd rather have an exhaust and a set of springs than any coilovers from Koni. If you're going to dump 1200+ on coilovers get a good set!

You might want to talk to Hector from Exhaust depot as well to see if he can make a downpipe that will mate up to this exhaust. He does great work for insanely low prices, and a downpipe is where you'll find most of your gains on a turbo car.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:33 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
I'd rather have an exhaust and a set of springs than any coilovers from Koni. If you're going to dump 1200+ on coilovers get a good set!

You might want to talk to Hector from Exhaust depot as well to see if he can make a downpipe that will mate up to this exhaust. He does great work for insanely low prices, and a downpipe is where you'll find most of your gains on a turbo car.
He already answered that he doesn't know if he's going to sell just a downpipe. How he has it designed, it goes much further back than the stock DP, so modification would be needed to get it to work. He said he could probably make a 2.5" DP that would be the same length as stock. The Invidia just bolts up so nicely to the stock DP...

Old 06-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear

Yes that is the other alternative I'm weighing out...I'm waiting to see how TSW springs will look. Though I do have the non-sport suspension so I'm not sure how long the shocks will last...so I may end up with the KONI adj anyways.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:26 PM
6th Gear
Yes that is the other alternative I'm weighing out...I'm waiting to see how TSW springs will look. Though I do have the non-sport suspension so I'm not sure how long the shocks will last...so I may end up with the KONI adj anyways.
TSW makes great stuff. Anything they put out will be awesome.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:28 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
He already answered that he doesn't know if he's going to sell just a downpipe. How he has it designed, it goes much further back than the stock DP, so modification would be needed to get it to work. He said he could probably make a 2.5" DP that would be the same length as stock. The Invidia just bolts up so nicely to the stock DP...
Psh, he can make whatever you want. Just takes $$$

I'm sure if he asked for a 3" that would mate up to the stock style exhaust he'd be able to figure it out.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:52 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Yup, tis my car!

Just got back from a 5.5 hr drive from CA to Phoenix with it. I don't know how to describe this accurately, the exhaust is not loud by any means, however, when it been warmed up on the highway, there is somewhat of a drone. I typically travel between 85 - 95 on my journey through the desert and this is where it occurs. Going 65-70 as you would on a city freeway, its silent until you get on it. So I guess that's what matters the most.

Just from the nature of a turbo exhaust, its very muffled and therefore the "drone" that I am speaking of is muffled as well. It's not an obnoxious high pitched drone that people think of when they hear the word "drone". Just a low pitched hummmmmm.

I do love it though!!
kinda sounds like you have a BOV, that true?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HighSchoolzMINI
Nope! Just a DDM Intake

That's why I keep saying if all you're looking for from a BOV is the sound (99% of the point on these cars) then you're wasting money. Get an intake!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:14 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HighSchoolzMINI
Like rusty said...nope, no BOV here. Nor will you ever catch me with one.

Loving the intake though!

Old 06-24-2008, 02:00 PM
JollyRodger
2nd Gear
Psh, he can make whatever you want. Just takes $$$

I'm sure if he asked for a 3" that would mate up to the stock style exhaust he'd be able to figure it out.
3" FTW... if you going to spend almost the same money get 3" piping and get the performance out of it...otherwise you just spending alot of money for a noisier, shinnyer exhaust that nets you no performance gain. Turbo cars love bigger exhaust, just a general rule of thumb

Old 06-24-2008, 02:08 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
think you'll ever hit the dyno? thatwould help my decision! i like the sleeperness

Old 06-24-2008, 03:59 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by got.pho?
think you'll ever hit the dyno? thatwould help my decision! i like the sleeperness
Yea! I was thinkin about going soon...I already have a baseline dyno done, so it'd be interesting to see if I gained anything. I'll post it up as soon as I do it!

Old 06-24-2008, 04:01 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JollyRodger
3" FTW... if you going to spend almost the same money get 3" piping and get the performance out of it...otherwise you just spending alot of money for a noisier, shinnyer exhaust that nets you no performance gain. Turbo cars love bigger exhaust, just a general rule of thumb
Clearly you haven't read any of the exhaust threads.

Start with the Exhaust Depot turbo-back one....I'm sure it won't change your mind, but oh well.

2.5" FTW , thank you.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:40 AM
JC Scooper
3rd Gear
I loved the Invidia on my late R53, now I'm just about on board with the new one for my R56. I have one concern remaining. Has anyone had any problems with the heated tips melting the bumper trim after a long or "spirited" drive? The clearance really looks tight.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:59 AM
fernflex
3rd Gear
I was the first one to installed the Invidia on R56 and so far nothing has melted. Maybe you can bent both hangers in the muffler to separate the tips from the lip just a bit more.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:33 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JC Scooper
I loved the Invidia on my late R53, now I'm just about on board with the new one for my R56. I have one concern remaining. Has anyone had any problems with the heated tips melting the bumper trim after a long or "spirited" drive? The clearance really looks tight.
No melting at all. The tips don't actually touch the bumper, so a thin layer of air does get between the tips and the bumper, stopping it from melting. I've been on numerous 6 hour drives and my daily driving can be considered spirited, and I've had no issues with melting.

Not that I've had it for a 1000 miles or so, I've noticed the sound is pretty quiet when the exhaust is cold. Once it warms up it purrrs. It's going to sound amazing with a downpipe!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:37 AM
sir5150
3rd Gear
I have no problems with mine even when it was 114 deg.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:44 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sir5150
I have no problems with mine even when it was 114 deg.
Likewise here with the heat

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Invidia Q300 R56 exhaust