Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain DDM Works Gen2 Race Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:12 PM
fupac133
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDM Works Gen2 Race Intake System

Hi I was wondering if anyone here has this intake system in there MCS. I was looking at the Alta and Forge and I saw this one. The price is a lot more I was wondering if their was a big difference once it was installed.

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...56_intake.html

Thanks
Jeff

Old 03-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Derosi
3rd Gear
Good question

How would it work without the RAS it looks nice and is offered in a street for 189 and a race for 249 without Ram air.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:51 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Heres a link with some details you may find helpful. http://www.autoxcooper.com/ddm_turbocooper.html The goal of the street intake was to open up the intake and allow the engine to take in as much air as possible, increasing power, providing better throttle response and faster turbo spool. The Street intake was designed to be a two stage system, as a stand alone intake or working with our Ram Air Scoop which feeds high pressure ambient air to the filter, further increasing throttle response and power from the engine.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:57 AM
fupac133
3rd Gear
thanks for the link. now i need to save up for the intake system.

Originally Posted by AutoXCooper.com
Heres a link with some details you may find helpful. http://www.autoxcooper.com/ddm_turbocooper.html The goal of the street intake was to open up the intake and allow the engine to take in as much air as possible, increasing power, providing better throttle response and faster turbo spool. The Street intake was designed to be a two stage system, as a stand alone intake or working with our Ram Air Scoop which feeds high pressure ambient air to the filter, further increasing throttle response and power from the engine.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Thegasteck
Neutral
DDM Works Gen2 Race Intake System

I have been researching this same system. In concept seems like an excellent idea. I really want to know how this system addresses any rain water ingested via the hood scoop? The southeast US can get some really heavy rain showers. Also, Alta really seems to be a leader when it comes to these types of innovations, so is there a reason they (Alta) have not developed a system utilizing a similar concept?

Old 03-30-2008, 02:43 PM
ckbridge
1st Gear
I have the DDM RIS and haven't had any issues with water for five months. I am in RAINY western Germany, even at Autobahn speeds no water issues. I run about 155 KPH tops in the rain. It does allow a little water to collect in the hood that runs out in the engine area when you open the hood if you just washed the car or if it has been raining. I like it, I like the idea of a working hood scoop. Just don't aim the hose into the scoop when washing the car.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:04 AM
fupac133
3rd Gear
Thanks for your input. I will save my $$$ to get this intake system.

Originally Posted by ckbridge
I have the DDM RIS and haven't had any issues with water for five months. I am in RAINY western Germany, even at Autobahn speeds no water issues. I run about 155 KPH tops in the rain. It does allow a little water to collect in the hood that runs out in the engine area when you open the hood if you just washed the car or if it has been raining. I like it, I like the idea of a working hood scoop. Just don't aim the hose into the scoop when washing the car.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
We were just looking at the DDM intake system at MOTD but it seems it might be too pricey without much benefit over other intakes. We asked for dyno specs but were only given pressure and temp specs for comparison.

Who has this and how do they like it?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:53 PM
terryg
4th Gear
I've got one on my R56 and love it. If you went by the Way Motor Works tent, mine was the PW with the red viper stripes that Way was using to demo his R56 products.

I would think that all of the aftermarket intakes for the R56 would perform and sound roughly the same. I went with the DDM because I like the build quality, and wanted to make the hood scoop functional. It brings a great raw sound into the cabin, and the blow-off sounds great!

We're going to be removing the ram scoop portion for autocross, so I can check any before and after numbers if you want on my scanguage.

It would be hard to get any realistic dyno results from the ram portion, for obvious reasons

Old 05-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a DDM Works full race intake installed at the dragon after discussing it with several friends who are more knowledgeable about Minis than I am. I deal with machined and manufactured parts in my job daily and I feel that the system is both well designed and well built. The concept of pre-compressing the air with the under-the-hood tunnel ram makes good sense to me.

I admit that it did bother me a bit that they couldn't produce a dyno sheet but I understand why they couldn't. A fan, even a big one, isn't going to be able to replicate the rush of air over the scoop in an artificial environment. Thus, I do feel that they told me the truth about the product and the reason why there is no dyno sheet.

There is definitely a power/torque gain in the full race system. I can't prove it on a real dyno but my butt-dyno says that there is a very noticeable increase in power and throttle response. For the record, I drove my R56 home from Fontana, with a detour for selfish reasons, a total of almost 600 miles and there is definitely a noticeable increase in power and throttle response. Like I told David when I was still at Fontana, it's like having a half of a sport button.

I would also like to point out that while I'm very mechanically inclined, I didn't have the necessary tools with me, otherwise I would have installed it myself. In my opinion, Stevie Wonder could install this in under 30 minutes with a cast on both hands. It didn't hurt that David installed it for free either.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:41 AM
sunman
3rd Gear
I'm deliberating on getting the DDM intake, but do you think it's worth an additional ~$60 to get the Race Intake only (not the RAM) over the Street Intake? Any advantages/disadvantages? TIA

Old 06-25-2008, 11:50 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Can't comment on the Race system, but I have the street system and I love it!

Definitely a power gain. I had a DIY K&N before hand, and the DDM seemed to give a level of smoothness that the DIY cai really lacked. I also really think the box is a good design.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:20 PM
samroberto
3rd Gear
I have the DDM Works Street system.. the one for 189.xx
It's wonderful, there is distinguishable, albeit non-transforming, difference in power, but the best part really, is the sound.
Obviously a better intake with more airflow helps the engine, but in my experience intakes don't particularly transform cars.
For my budget, being a college student, the RIS looks really sweet but was too pricey (cost vs. return idea..)

You won't be disappointed with either choice If it were me, I'd get the Street system and spend the extra hundred bucks on springs and good rubber...
Oh wait that is me have fun no matter which way you go !!!!

Old 06-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Which of the vendors sell DDM products?

Old 06-25-2008, 12:25 PM
maxx629
2nd Gear
I also have the DDM street intake. It has a really nice sound and is easy to install as it uses the OEM base for mounting. As far as MPG's I may have picked up a small increase, throttle response did improve.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
Thanks...great info guys! I don't expect any super dramatic performance gains but I am slightly interested in the sound too. Looks like I'd probably just go with the cheaper option and put the extra cash towards a future exhaust.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:13 PM
sunman
3rd Gear
Old 06-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Guys where will I be able to check out DDM products? What vendor(s) sell them?

Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mozza
Guys where will I be able to check out DDM products? What vendor(s) sell them?
I know Way Motor Works does.

Or just go to www.ddmworks.com

Old 06-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Cheers Thump.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:56 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
I have the DDM ram air intake. I was going to useit with my Alta intake but they did not line up. I would be willing to sell it for a cheap but fair price since it is just sitting in my garage.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:25 PM
stephano eaton
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
I know Way Motor Works does.

Or just go to www.ddmworks.com
Has any one checked out the new M7 intake. A bit expensive ($600+) but rather than made with steel, it's make with fiber glass and really looks cool.
Anyone out there have one?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:05 PM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a question about the sound with the race version. I am not looking for a significant increase in cabin noise. What is the prevailing opinion regarding the sound increase-a little or much more than normal? And, keep in mind that I am a "mature" (ie: getting older every minute!) adult and don't want a hot rod sound in the cabin. Thanks for any/all input.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:10 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stephano eaton
Has any one checked out the new M7 intake. A bit expensive ($600+) but rather than made with steel, it's make with fiber glass and really looks cool.
Anyone out there have one?
According to M7 it gives you 25 ft-lbs at 2800 RPM's....

Shockingly, they stopped posting about it when people questioned their rediculous numbers. However, if you wanna drop over $600 on an intake....GO FOR IT!!!

**Edit...I think their $600 one is their Ram Air Super Duper Race Bull Crap thing. The other one is only $370+....The Super Duper Air Gain Sytem with vortex generators. Virtual bargin.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Derosi
3rd Gear
DDM street highly recommended buy at Waymotorworks

I have had my DDM Street intake for a while and love the sound and the design. It also looks great

Way Motor Works is the best place to buy it

Quick Reply: Drivetrain DDM Works Gen2 Race Intake System