Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain One ball exhaust for $20

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:23 AM
blownt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One ball exhaust for $20

For all yall with fabrication skills you can make a one ball exhaust for $20. I have bought ALOT of stuff from Speedway Motors for my blown T bucket and was looking thru the catalog and they have a Tight Tubes Extention kit for running exhaust pipes from tight tube headers on hot rods. The kit is $40 but you can sell the other half for $20 (or whatever). Here is the kit from Speedway Motors: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/1722...nsion-Kit.html

I bought the kit and took measurements and determined I needed to cut 3" out between the two bends. The long exhaust pipe back from the catalytic converter is 2 1/4". The Tight Tube pipe as well as the original pipe from the resonater to the muffler is 2 1/2". I took the long exhaust pipe and the cut muffler to the muffler shop. I had the long exhaust pipe swaged JUST A HAIR BIGGER so that it fit tight INSIDE the fab'd 2 1/2" pipe. I had the cut end of the muffler pipe swaged bigger so that the fab'd pipe fits inside the muffler pipe. The muffler shop did not charge me for the two swages but I gave him $5 for a few beers.

I like the sound of the modification. I get no burlbing effect when I let off the gas as others have claimed.

Attached Thumbnails One ball exhaust for -exh1b.jpg   One ball exhaust for -exh2.jpg   One ball exhaust for -exh3.jpg  

Last edited by blownt; 02-25-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:31 AM
blownt
1st Gear
Additional pics of One ball

it's really not that hard. Just take good measurements and know where you want to cut the existing pipes. I placed the fab'd pipe into the reinstalled muffler, then inserted the long pipe, then swung it back up to the converter. Then installed the clamps. Later I cut off the threaded ends of the clamps.

BTW, I have the other Tight Tube cut and welded if you want it for $20.

Have fun,
Gary

Attached Thumbnails One ball exhaust for -exh5.jpg   One ball exhaust for -exh6.jpg   One ball exhaust for -exh7.jpg  
Old 02-25-2008, 06:33 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Good find!

If you have an MCS - not at cabrio - and you have a reciprocating saw and welding skills you can actually do the one-ball with NO ADDITIONAL PIPE... there's a way you can cut the OEM pipe in three places - near the end of the straight run, near the resonator, and near the muffler - then flip over the section that went to the resonator and weld it back in place to the straight pipe and the muffler... that's how Dan at Grassroots Garage does his.

Oh - and if you have no burble, then I suspect it's "programmed out" in your ECU version... because most (including mine) burble like crazy!

Last edited by BlimeyCabrio; 02-25-2008 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:03 AM
blownt
1st Gear
using the stock pipe and cutting it up and flippin it over, you still need to angle it up some how. The smaller 2 1/4" pipe turns right then rear into the resonator. The 2 1/2" pipe from the resonator to the muffler is 3" higher then the 2 1/4" inlet pipe. That is why I used the Tight Tube kit. You need the second angle bend. If it was not 3" higher then it would be an easy flip and swage. I am sure you could miter cut and weld the angle into it but it is just easier to use the bends in the kit.

Last edited by blownt; 02-25-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Kentiki
5th Gear
Awesome work!

How bout showing some pics of your T bucket?

Old 02-25-2008, 07:22 AM
blownt
1st Gear
OK no problem. Was out yesterday in it. About 75 and sunny. Yea Haaa.

Attached Thumbnails One ball exhaust for -july18_51sml.jpg   One ball exhaust for -picture-070sml.jpg   One ball exhaust for -bt02.jpg  
Old 02-25-2008, 07:26 AM
blownt
1st Gear
one more. Think this describes my feelings.

Attached Thumbnails One ball exhaust for -boydwho.jpg  
Old 02-25-2008, 07:59 AM
jakay11
4th Gear
FYI:
the exhaust burble is from an ECU tweek Bmw did... you can get that added by the dealer by just flashing the ECU...

Old 02-25-2008, 09:44 AM
blownt
1st Gear
I could if I wanted that, but a 4 cyl burble doesn't do much for me after getting out of the bucket (no mufflers). The bucket will blow the doors off any Viper, Vette, Mustang and most crouch rockets around. The Mini is fun though (and quieter).

Old 02-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Kentiki
5th Gear
Originally Posted by blownt
one more. Think this describes my feelings.
I dig it! Nice T!!!

Saw some hats a while back you woulda liked. They said across the front:

Coyd Boddington

The wearer told me he hoped it would **** off someone in particular, if he ever saw it.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:02 PM
RussellCory
5th Gear
This is awesome! Nice work. Still looking to sell that extra pipe?

Old 02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Great work there!

Good looking T bucket with a huge blower! That thing must push you around with authority!

Jeremy

Old 02-26-2008, 07:14 AM
RussellCory
5th Gear
OK no problem. Was out yesterday in it. About 75 and sunny. Yea Haaa.
Man, this thing is a cherry ride. It's nice to see people casting off the curse of billet aluminum & building real hot rods.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:06 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
What an awesome ride!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:38 AM
billzcat1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jakay11
FYI:
the exhaust burble is from an ECU tweek Bmw did... you can get that added by the dealer by just flashing the ECU...
So then is it possible for them to tune *out* the burble with a flash? I could do without.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:00 PM
NewMINI2
1st Gear
Actually you pay too much for it.

Just cut off and turn around the original pipe and weld it back on.

0$ for material and few cents for welding.

For all yall with fabrication skills you can make a one ball exhaust for $20. I have bought ALOT of stuff from Speedway Motors for my blown T bucket and was looking thru the catalog and they have a Tight Tubes Extention kit for running exhaust pipes from tight tube headers on hot rods. The kit is $40 but you can sell the other half for $20 (or whatever). Here is the kit from Speedway Motors: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/1722...nsion-Kit.html

I bought the kit and took measurements and determined I needed to cut 3" out between the two bends. The long exhaust pipe back from the catalytic converter is 2 1/4". The Tight Tube pipe as well as the original pipe from the resonater to the muffler is 2 1/2". I took the long exhaust pipe and the cut muffler to the muffler shop. I had the long exhaust pipe swaged JUST A HAIR BIGGER so that it fit tight INSIDE the fab'd 2 1/2" pipe. I had the cut end of the muffler pipe swaged bigger so that the fab'd pipe fits inside the muffler pipe. The muffler shop did not charge me for the two swages but I gave him $5 for a few beers.

I like the sound of the modification. I get no burlbing effect when I let off the gas as others have claimed.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:58 AM
blownt
1st Gear
obviously you have not looked at it. They are different sizes and one is 3" higher. It is not as simple as cutting it, flipping and welding.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Kentiki
5th Gear
Well I just read "Boyd Who" is dead! He was pretty young too.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:29 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
^ 63

Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 AM
NewMINI2
1st Gear
obviously you have not looked at it. They are different sizes and one is 3" higher. It is not as simple as cutting it, flipping and welding.
I have done this and it was very simply.

Maybe we have different exhausts.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:06 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Yep.... if you cut it right I think the smaller pipe slip-fits in the larger one... then weld...

Old 02-28-2008, 07:42 PM
RussellCory
5th Gear
You guys can bust blownt's ***** if you want. I think his idea is awesome considering that it's usually $60 to $100 to get this done at a shop. Not everyone wants to reuse the stock bends. I've seen "stock" one ***** and I don't remember any of them fitting up in there nearly as well as this one does.

I do understand that this is also all in good fun…

Old 02-28-2008, 08:52 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
I was the first to say "Nice find!" - and I meant it. But seems like the ball-busting is swinging both ways, so to speak...

But it's all good. There's just a difference between telling three different people with direct experience that they don't know what they're talking about, vs. perhaps admitting that you just couldn't see how to do it yourself...

Old 03-02-2008, 11:35 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
They are different sizes and one is 3" higher. It is not as simple as cutting it, flipping and welding.
Maybe we have different exhausts.
I know this second statement was intended as a joke, but there may be some truth in it:
My understanding is that the cabrio exhaust has an extra upward bend in it due to the additional bracing in back. In order to standardize the parts, 05 hardtop exhausts also got the extra bend (although they didn't need it) . . . so the cut and flip is probably easier to do on pre-05s than it is on 05s and 06s.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:38 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eager2own
I know this second statement was intended as a joke, but there may be some truth in it:
My understanding is that the cabrio exhaust has an extra upward bend in it due to the additional bracing in back. In order to standardize the parts, 05 hardtop exhausts also got the extra bend (although they didn't need it) . . . so the cut and flip is probably easier to do on pre-05s than it is on 05s and 06s.
Ahhhhhh..... may be onto something here...

Quick Reply: Drivetrain One ball exhaust for $20