Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:53 PM
minicobra1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Terry,

Where do you recommend I take my car to do a dyno run?, I want to see if the JCW tune is really putting out what they say or more. I'm in Orange County-CA., but will drive anywhere within 100 miles

Thanks!

Braden

Old 01-25-2008, 06:55 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you're using a tailpipe sniffer/sensor for your A/F on a (dual) cat equipped car ? If you're going to be doing any tuning you need to get your readings pre-emissions systems.

and dynojet's ? it's a step up from mustangs & fine for WOT measurements, but you really should look at a dynopak if you're looking to do any remapping across the whole range. I know they're a lot more expensive, but the ability to consistently hit (& hold) all your target points is worth it. WOT is for quarter mile runs not street or track driven cars. We ended up getting a lot more power & far fewer track/engine failures after making the switch. I know the Mini market may not justify the expense/investment, but if you're also tuning for BMW's, it's the only way to get really competitive.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by minicobra1
Hey Terry,

Where do you recommend I take my car to do a dyno run?, I want to see if the JCW tune is really putting out what they say or more. I'm in Orange County-CA., but will drive anywhere within 100 miles

Thanks!

Braden
I use LA Performance in Chattsworth. Maybe we can meet up there one of these days, the problem is they are only open M-F 9-6.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by n1tr0
you're using a tailpipe sniffer/sensor for your A/F on a (dual) cat equipped car ? If you're going to be doing any tuning you need to get your readings pre-emissions systems.

and dynojet's ? it's a step up from mustangs & fine for WOT measurements, but you really should look at a dynopak if you're looking to do any remapping across the whole range. I know they're a lot more expensive, but the ability to consistently hit (& hold) all your target points is worth it. WOT is for quarter mile runs not street or track driven cars. We ended up getting a lot more power & far fewer track/engine failures after making the switch. I know the Mini market may not justify the expense/investment, but if you're also tuning for BMW's, it's the only way to get really competitive.
Tune on a mustang dyno market with a dynojet. It's the way the tuning world works.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:02 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Tune on a mustang dyno market with a dynojet. It's the way the tuning world works.
the "tuning" world is a joke, I'll stick with the real motorsports companies

Old 01-26-2008, 05:27 AM
com3tojo3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by n1tr0
the "tuning" world is a joke, I'll stick with the real motorsports companies
...and BMS isn't a real company?

Old 01-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by com3tojo3
...and BMS isn't a real company?
It's OK, I know what he means. He's looking for a race team style tuner. In that world where you're optimizing the map for a specific car, using a full load dyno is a benefit. Although tuning that way takes a long time and is rather expensive.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:10 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by a96bimmerm3
Is this thing just a map clamp or what? How does it work?

Thanks,
Josh

Also, did the cars seeing the weird o2 sensor dips get the update to correct the o2 sensor range? I had it done on my car and the power up top feels much smoother. It could be this, as the "recall" was an improper voltage range on the front o2 if I'm not mistaken.
waiting for an answer.....

Old 01-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by a96bimmerm3
Is this thing just a map clamp or what? How does it work?

Thanks,
Josh

Also, did the cars seeing the weird o2 sensor dips get the update to correct the o2 sensor range? I had it done on my car and the power up top feels much smoother. It could be this, as the "recall" was an improper voltage range on the front o2 if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry, missed this post! The JB isn't a map clamp, but like the other piggybacks operates in a similar way. It intercepts and alters sensor signals to trick the ECU in to different tuning. For example on the 335i application we intercept/alter the tmap sensor, left wideband sensor, and right wideband sensor.

I'm not sure which sensors we'll need to intercept in the MCS yet.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:10 PM
minicobra1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
I use LA Performance in Chattsworth. Maybe we can meet up there one of these days, the problem is they are only open M-F 9-6.

Terry,

I wouldn't mind the drive, but unfortunately I work in Brea M-F and that's about 65 miles one way. About the earliest I get out of there would be by 4pm, at that time of the day it would take about 2 hours to drive up there in traffic. :( I might be able to get out around 3pm on a Friday, could probably make it up there by 4:30, if that would work. Anywhere else open on a Saturday?

Braden

Old 01-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by minicobra1
Terry,

I wouldn't mind the drive, but unfortunately I work in Brea M-F and that's about 65 miles one way. About the earliest I get out of there would be by 4pm, at that time of the day it would take about 2 hours to drive up there in traffic. :( I might be able to get out around 3pm on a Friday, could probably make it up there by 4:30, if that would work. Anywhere else open on a Saturday?

Braden
Ahh.. I don't know of any off hand, but I believe there are a few in the OC area. I'll have to look in to it!