Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Just installed Alta Catback

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
Not so my good man. I have the catback, and noticed a VERY significant increase in power, and the sound is 100x better than stock.

So don't rule out going with the catback everyone if it's all you want or can afford. It's an amazing system even without the downpipe.
Well that's very good to hear. Again I haven't listened to either in person, so I'm just going on what I've read here on NAM. Although I've saved up enough now by waiting, I'm still sometimes tempted to go for just the catback. That downpipe is so expensive! F'ing catalytic converters...

Originally Posted by jcap287
Yea that's a good idea, it's probably easier installing wise too.

How much do you think it would cost to to install the full turboback? I know a catback it would probably be about 150. Also, how long/much would you say it would take to install the intercooler? This stuff isn't going to be for a while.Just trying to figure out costs.
I don't know if it's any easier as apparently dealing with the heat shields while installing the downpipe is a major pain. On the plus side you don't have to do any cutting by going full turboback. Also I knew from the start I'd eventually want to add the downpipe, so it's a lot simpler to do it all at once.

$100 for catback installtion and just $25 on top of that if the downpipe is done at the same time. Shows how much more cost efficient it is. I'm waiting on quotes from a couple other installers, but I've actually seen catback installation for as low as $75. Apparently it's a relatively easy and quick job.

Intercooler is going to be an entirely different story. Have to remove the front bumper and I've been told, although straightforward, it's pretty time consuming. Only one quote thus far and it was for $340/4 hours. FMIC won't be until mid-late March at the earliest, so I haven't yet checked into it much.

Any estimated dates for your next mods??? And what are they?

Last edited by Msteadman; 01-16-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:55 PM
jcap287
School away from MINI
Originally Posted by Msteadman
Well that's very good to hear. Again I haven't listened to either in person, so I'm just going on what I've read here on NAM. Although I've saved up enough now by waiting, I'm still sometimes tempted to go for just the catback. That downpipe is so expensive! F'ing catalytic converters...

I don't know if it's any easier as apparently dealing with the heat shields while installing the downpipe is a major pain. On the plus side you don't have to do any cutting by going full turboback. Also I knew from the start I'd eventually want to add the downpipe, so it's a lot simpler to do it all at once.

$100 for catback installtion and just $25 on top of that if the downpipe is done at the same time. Shows how much more cost efficient it is. I'm waiting on quotes from a couple other installers, but I've actually seen catback installation for as low as $75. Apparently it's a relatively easy and quick job.

Intercooler is going to be an entirely different story. Have to remove the front bumper and I've been told, although straightforward, it's pretty time consuming. Only one quote thus far and it was for $340/4 hours. FMIC won't be until mid-late March at the earliest, so I haven't yet checked into it much.

Any estimated dates for your next mods??? And what are they?

Well being that I'm at school I'm currently unemployed. I was gonna try to talk my parents into letting me get either the catback or the intercooler for my birthday if I had good grades since mid term grades will be out by then. They have pretty good prices on NAmotorsports. I have the money for installation. I was leaning more towards the intercooler. I know I'll have the grades but it's a big IF on the other side. I wanted the turboback all together so more and likely will be at the end of the summer after I get my summer job back. All the other stuff I've paid for myself except the boost tubes and cai I got for Christmas I paid for the installs though.

Last edited by jcap287; 01-16-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:34 PM
scott48
6th Gear
^^you'll definitely love both mods!!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:46 PM
unsalada
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wich mod will you feel more power out of??

Old 01-16-2008, 11:23 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by unsalada
wich mod will you feel more power out of??

Jcap will get more power from the cat back, you on the other hand would be best off asking the dealer to put you completely back to stock *poke*
(or else drive to alta and ask them to install everything for you)

Jcap - if you've got $700 to spend then get the ECU. It'll give you the biggest bang for the buck.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:28 PM
unsalada
3rd Gear
what do you have agaisnt me?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:34 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by unsalada
what do you have agaisnt me?

nothing at all against you personally (except for several annoying posts awhile back <grin>). It just seems you've had problems with every mod you've installed and the one installer you went to recently lost the instructions?!

Last edited by MotorMouth; 01-16-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:40 PM
unsalada
3rd Gear
The problem is I was trying to do everything my self so I decided never again the place I take the car to fix are very good and very cheap they do bmw and mini work only. Sorry I complaint alot but I like to be 100% satisfy when I buy something. The catback was great from the begining I just want to downpipe to fishing the turbo back. The Intercoler maybe when the weeather start to get warmer right now its pretty cold and it rains all day.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:50 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
any updates on the new tips?

Old 01-17-2008, 04:49 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
jcap287:
Yea, I definitely know how it is... I lined up a really good job for the month we've been off for Christmas break, but once classes start back up (Tuesday ) finances will be pretty limited! Which is why although I can currently afford the turboback, it's taking a lot to justify in my own head spending the money. Wish I could hear a clip of the catback vs turboback. I've heard the full turboback and it sounds great!

Wheels/tires were gonna be my very last mod, but thankfully I got those for Christmas. I'm also waiting for midterms as I'm gonna try and get my parents to purchase the FMIC for me. Very good timing as regardless I wouldn't add it until that time or later. Temperatures are freezing right now so it wouldn't be very worthwhile.

All currents mods, including installation, I paid for myself. Installation of all futures ones will be on me as well. Figure it's the very least I can do.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:06 AM
ken o
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
Not so my good man. I have the catback, and noticed a VERY significant increase in power, and the sound is 100x better than stock.

So don't rule out going with the catback everyone if it's all you want or can afford. It's an amazing system even without the downpipe.
Any before and after numbers on just the cat back or butt-dyno?

Old 01-17-2008, 07:32 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
Jcap - if you've got $700 to spend then get the ECU. It'll give you the biggest bang for the buck.
+1, I don't have one yet, but would purchase it in a second over any other part if it was available for the damn auto trans. No other mod is going to give you anywhere near that much power for the money.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:37 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Jcap will get more power from the cat back, you on the other hand would be best off asking the dealer to put you completely back to stock *poke*

LMAO!!!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:13 AM
jcap287
School away from MINI

+1, I don't have one yet, but would purchase it in a second over any other part if it was available for the damn auto trans. No other mod is going to give you anywhere near that much power for the money.

I definitely want the ECU, but I'd have to send it back at the end of summer to get updated for whatever I get. I was gonna do the ECU last. Plus I want to wait for all the bugs to be worked out.

Msteadman- They have a sound clip of just the catback on altas website under the catback video section. You're better off just doing it at once so there is no cutting.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:35 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ghosthound
i hope the tip is like what milltek had on their test car but never released... If it does in fact look like that tip, i will buy an Alta catback for sure, if not, i am strongly considering it anyway
With your "joey" mods I KNOW you will like what I have up my sleeve!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Full turboback.

Initially I was gonna go for just the catback about 2 months ago, then add the downpipe at the end of this month. However I've heard the sound and power difference with the catback alone isn't very noticeable.
I would politely disagree. The cat-back is very noticable as well!

But anyway YOU want to do it is IDEAL for us!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:00 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
you're killin' me!!!

Old 01-17-2008, 01:57 PM
mogollon8266
1st Gear
Cmon tell us already about the tips, you killing me here can't wait

Old 01-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
I definitely want the ECU, but I'd have to send it back at the end of summer to get updated for whatever I get. I was gonna do the ECU last. Plus I want to wait for all the bugs to be worked out.

Msteadman- They have a sound clip of just the catback on altas website under the catback video section. You're better off just doing it at once so there is no cutting.
Yea, that makes sense. That's the reason why it's probably good for me that an auto trans compatible PnP isn't yet out. I'd want to jump on it in a second! Definitely makes a lot more sense to do it last though. Won't have to worry about sending it in for updates and I'm sure all manufacturing issues should be resolved by then.

If you look at the bottom caption, that clip is actually of the catback with downpipe. Haven't found any of the catback alone. As you said it's definitely best to do it at once, so it's no big deal.

Just the cheapo in me prevailing. I could do a lot with $869.99! And although I obviously get the performance and sound benefits, I can't even see where my money went. With the catback you get those visually sweet tips regardless.

I would politely disagree. The cat-back is very noticable as well!

But anyway YOU want to do it is IDEAL for us!
Adam, you'd probably know better than anyone, are there any clips of just the catback? I'm having to go strictly by what's here on NAM as I haven't heard either system in person. Multiple threads have claimed the catback be an improvement over stock but very quiet nonetheless. Not that I want a ridiculously loud exhaust anyway... Also how much hp/tq does the catback alone add compared to full turboback?
THANKS

Okay now that is too much of a tease, I'm dying here!

Old 01-18-2008, 12:15 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
How dare you single me out because of the color of my headlights

lol, HURRY UP WITH THE INFO!! we are all dying to know here

Last edited by ghosthound; 01-18-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:00 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Yes the clips online are of just the Cat-back (little videos of Howard taking off)

More info coming soon folks. Not trying to tease, just need to have the photos etc. before I can post what I need to post!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:23 AM
donato
3rd Gear
I definitely want the ECU, but I'd have to send it back at the end of summer to get updated for whatever I get.

Why would you have to send it back?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:34 AM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by donato
To update the mapping to reflect the new mods.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:34 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Originally Posted by donato
Because the maps are programed for the parts you have on your car. If you add new parts you may not get as much out of them without having the ECU reflashed.

*never mind, somehow I missed the above post*

Old 01-22-2008, 10:18 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Tips tips, where are the tips???

And you STILL haven't answered whether or not they will be interchangeable for all us poor saps who jumped on the ALTA bandwagon when there was only 1 tip choice!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Just installed Alta Catback