Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain stroker

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is correct... for a very long time Dynapak and Mustang dyno's were the only "load bearing" dynos vs the inertia dynos like Dyno jet... which honestly arent THAT different.. with the MINI we regularly found a 10 WHP diff.. but when you have cars making 1000 WHP sometimes you see a 30% diff... thats where it matters...

But Dynojet steped up to the plate... changing thier software to account for load.. and also I belive have made some mechanical changes now too...

Old 11-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
At the risk of looking like a complete and total noob. All that piping on the front in that picture up there is the intake track. Is that right?

Old 11-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Some Guy
At the risk of looking like a complete and total noob. All that piping on the front in that picture up there is the intake track. Is that right?

yes.. you are correct

Old 11-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Alex@Helix
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
over 700whp if I hit the red button
Pfft, my Chrysler Town and Country will destroy that. Come on Jan, give me a challenge

Old 11-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by iggy
Pfft, my Chrysler Town and Country will destroy that. Come on Jan, give me a challenge

yes Iggy... I have learned... NEVER MESS WITH THE TOWN & COUNTRY

a true sleeper car if there ever was one

word has it you dropped a 426 Keith Black Hemi in it

Last edited by Revolution Mini Works; 11-23-2007 at 02:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Alex@Helix
Former Vendor
yes Iggy... I have learned... NEVER MESS WITH THE TOWN & COUNTRY

a true sleeper car if there ever was one

Thats old news man. I also added in a Mopar Performance Parts DVD Player and these bad boys.

Made from 100% authentic sweaty Yak hair. You think Recaro or Sparco seats hold you well? Then you haven't felt the cling of Yak hair on a hot day.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
wow... I never had a chance
what were your lap times?

Old 11-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iggy
Thats old news man. I also added in a Mopar Performance Parts DVD Player and these bad boys.

Made from 100% authentic sweaty Yak hair. You think Recaro or Sparco seats hold you well? Then you haven't felt the cling of Yak hair on a hot day.
I had Yak for dinner in Colorado. Now I know what they did with fur.

Longboard

Old 11-23-2007, 04:48 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tüls
oh dont get me wrong.. it can work great on the street... you dont see 600 WHP civics and 1200 WHP supras cause someone was worried about it working on the street...

I just have to specify that cause MOST of the MINI community isnt ready for what it takes.... they want "bolt on" power... but you dont make 400 WHP by bolting things on...

anyway, it's just sort of my disclaimer post... but your responce says DOOO EET! LOL

I like that!
And you dont make 400 whp here in Massachusetts and stay street legal. Don't know how you do it in Cali.

Pesky emissions and inspections...Same crap that keeps out cool steering wheels etc.

Paul

Old 11-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by pcnorton
And you dont make 400 whp here in Massachusetts and stay street legal. Don't know how you do it in Cali.

Pesky emissions and inspections...Same crap that keeps out cool steering wheels etc.

Paul
that red car is a purpose. Built race car

Old 11-23-2007, 05:07 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
that red car is a purpose. Built race car
Yeah but tuls was talking about working on the street hp. Unfortunately not much from the race car tech would get past the #$#%@^ inspectors. They are starting to stop ALL non oem exhaust. SO while its neat to mention on the street, getting it there legally is a pipe dream.

Its even spilling over to motorcycles and the aftermarket don't seem to be putting up a fight.

Love the numbers. Just wish I could get some more to my mini but Mass RMV isn't friendly.

Paul

Old 11-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
that's what is great about the stroker as it looks stock

Old 11-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
that's what is great about the stroker as it looks stock
Great point.

The under hood of Jan's GP looks just like it came from the factory.

Longboard

Old 11-23-2007, 05:43 PM
6th Gear
wow... I never had a chance
what were your lap times?
Do those seats bring back any horrid memories Jan?

Old 11-23-2007, 05:46 PM
6th Gear
Yeah but tuls was talking about working on the street hp. Unfortunately not much from the race car tech would get past the #$#%@^ inspectors. They are starting to stop ALL non oem exhaust. SO while its neat to mention on the street, getting it there legally is a pipe dream.

Its even spilling over to motorcycles and the aftermarket don't seem to be putting up a fight.

Love the numbers. Just wish I could get some more to my mini but Mass RMV isn't friendly.

Paul
There are plenty of ways to get around emissions inspections, in any state, including MA and CA.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus

Paul
where there is a will there is a way... I am not going to go into detail about it.. but I grew up in New England... granted things have gotten more stringent... but there is always a way...

OOORR... MOVE! there are PLENTY of free states left... and or find some family that has a home in a free state... and Reg it there...

COME ON PEOPLE!

the way I see it.. if you can't find a way to get it done on your own with out someone telling you... then you dont deserve it! LOL

Old 11-24-2007, 02:52 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
Great point.

The under hood of Jan's GP looks just like it came from the factory.

Longboard
does this ring a bell?

who thinks the smog police will bother you with this?

wait.......... what is this? stock pulley?

Old 11-24-2007, 07:42 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tüls
where there is a will there is a way... I am not going to go into detail about it.. but I grew up in New England... granted things have gotten more stringent... but there is always a way...

OOORR... MOVE! there are PLENTY of free states left... and or find some family that has a home in a free state... and Reg it there...

COME ON PEOPLE!

the way I see it.. if you can't find a way to get it done on your own with out someone telling you... then you dont deserve it! LOL
If you want to push the envelope regarding emissions testing, that is your choice. You may succeed; you may not. At the end of the day, you will need to pass the sniff test. You may be able to dodge the visual inspection if you are lucky to get a tech who is not familiar with aftermarket headers and OEM vs. aftermarket highflow catalytic converters. But if you can't pass the sniff test, your car isn't going to get its registration sticker. And once you fail the sniff test, a record gets created in the computer system in Sacramento (for California registered cars) and the scrutiny is much tighter for the re-test. Registering your car out of California has its own risks related to fraud on the registration process (it is all about money going to the state - they get rather obsessive about that), so you still have to recon with the sniff test.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
LOL yea.. I understand how it works... my point is.. that's the way it is... so deal with it... other wise... don't complain about living someplace that has those laws... I have been modding/working on cars since I was a wee lad thanks to my family... and well, like I said, where there's a will there's a way. It's a free country, and I intend to live that way...

also, a TUNED car.. usually runs much leaner than a factory one... which means... it's better for the environment!

so, other than no cat or something extreme like that (coughtestpipecough) passing the sniffer is the easiest part...

anyway, I am not trying to argue... just tired of people complaining cause they live some place or don't have the "ability" to get things done.

Honestly, if you cant figure it out, you prolly shouldn't be driving a car that fast. LOL

By "you" I mean the general population Caminifan... just quoting for reference

Originally Posted by caminifan
If you want to push the envelope regarding emissions testing, that is your choice. You may succeed; you may not. At the end of the day, you will need to pass the sniff test. You may be able to dodge the visual inspection if you are lucky to get a tech who is not familiar with aftermarket headers and OEM vs. aftermarket highflow catalytic converters. But if you can't pass the sniff test, your car isn't going to get its registration sticker. And once you fail the sniff test, a record gets created in the computer system in Sacramento (for California registered cars) and the scrutiny is much tighter for the re-test. Registering your car out of California has its own risks related to fraud on the registration process (it is all about money going to the state - they get rather obsessive about that), so you still have to recon with the sniff test.

Last edited by Tüls; 11-24-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:27 AM
hemiheaded18
Banned

Old 11-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by hemiheaded18

nice

Old 11-24-2007, 08:31 AM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Originally Posted by jerjer
wow..those are some impressive numbers, and sounds totally newbie.. but can someone please let me know what exactly is in a "stroker" system? all i know is it's something to do with making the crank stroke further downward or something like that to expand the cc? am i on the right track jan?

i'm very interested in this sort of power, but really have no idea what stage jan is in with the production? nor the extensive work it required? or even rough idea/ballpark of the price (so i can save up and lose it in jan's hand)~

thanks guys
I don't think anyone answered you yet, so I'll take. Yes, thats the basics. Swapping out the old, shorter throw crank for one with a longer stroke, hence the term "stroker". This usually requires a new rotating assembly like rods and pistons as well. The actual distance the piston travels is what changes. Longer travel=more displacement. More displacment=more torque. More torque=more HP. As far as price goes, prolly no less than 3500. More like 4500-5k is my guess.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:44 AM
herbie hind
6th Gear
i can see this scenario;
a: send entire engine or car to jan to do the build and obviously the necessary tune.providing he has an engine dyno . ? for guys too far to bring their cars i can see a problem . sending the engine , then having someone else tune it would (of course ) void warranty . so an engine dyno i think would be key . where's jan located?

Old 11-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by herbie hind
i can see this scenario;
a: send entire engine or car to jan to do the build and obviously the necessary tune.providing he has an engine dyno . ? for guys too far to bring their cars i can see a problem . sending the engine , then having someone else tune it would (of course ) void warranty . so an engine dyno i think would be key . where's jan located?
I think buying it as a crate motor would make the most sense. Jan's in Socal.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by herbie hind
i can see this scenario;
we are NOT selling the parts to make the stroker, due to the complexity of doing the sleeving CORRECTLY, we are not offering that at this point in time. In the future we will but we want to make sure the kit comes off right without the possibility of the machine shops to do it incorrectly.

we will be doing the tuning on all of the engines as I have maps for the stroker kit This will be included in the kit price alone with cam and injectors

Quick Reply: Drivetrain stroker