Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Apexi NEO Craziness/Technical Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 09:45 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apexi NEO Craziness/Technical Question

So I am running a Apexi NEO, as most of you who know my car know, for fuel management. I have run into an issue that is stumping me and was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion. I have talked with Hubie about it, but with Street Tuner Challeneg I know he is WAY busy and thought asking here might find a simple solution.

Last weekend sometime after a spirited drive the display on my NEO went crazy. The screen cycles through all the various options showing tachs, battery charge, fuel trims, etc, and then will reboot. It does this constantly while the car is running. What I have done to trouble shoot this is to disconnect the unit from its wiring harness under the dash, not from the ECU itself. As well as disconnect the battery for overnight, both to no effect. I have also double and triple checked the wiring harness. There are no loose connections and there is no where along the harness where it has suffered any thermal damage.

The funny thing is the car seems to be running fine. Maybe richer than the settings I had it on, but still drivable without stall or lean issues. This makes me think the maps are intact in the unit and functioning, but the display is malfunctioning. I though it might be a stuck button, but they all seem to be fine and it has suffered no damage. There is no master reset button on it anywhere to try either.

At this point I am thinking I may be suffering a failure somewhere in the unit and may need to replace it. Anyone else have a suggestion to try before I have Fireballed order me a new one to try? I just am dreading buying a new one and then having it do the same thing for some off reason. It is BTW acting as though it is in some test cycle or not getting signals from the sensors or ECU as the screens that come up, for a few seconds at a time each, do not register any real data, it just displays a series of crazy numbers like the tach bouncing from 0-9000rpms even when the engine isn't on, but the key is in the on position.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help with this.

-Joel

Old 08-26-2007, 12:08 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm...nothings shorting out? It doesn't sound like its the module.... I don't know what else to tell you except to slave in another one. I am about to buy one....how much did you get your for?

Old 08-26-2007, 12:43 AM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UKSUV
Hmmm...nothings shorting out? It doesn't sound like its the module.... I don't know what else to tell you except to slave in another one. I am about to buy one....how much did you get your for?
Don't know the cost, it was all built into the invoice for the turbo kit.....