Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Polyurethane Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 09:48 AM
Daytona955i
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the vendor announcements I saw an ad for Polyurethane Bushings and was wondering the validity of their claims. I understand that the bushings are stiffer and allow less flex. I don't dispute that but....

"The engine mount stiffeners by Powerflex are another great add-on, especially if you have increased the engine performance. High horse power engines will case a condition in a front wheel drive vehicles called Torque steer. This condition is when the natural torque of the engine forced engine and suspension bushings in to distort under load. This distortion will cause the vehicle to dart or pull in various direction as vehicle weight shifts."

I thought torque steer had less to do with the engine moving and more to do with the transfer of power from the engine to the wheels. Also how much do they really help? In say an AutoX setting? A track setting?

Are they really worth it?
-Chris

Old 06-11-2003, 09:52 AM
8ball
6th Gear
The engine mounts will help with keeping it from rocking as the original bushings would probably break down over time .... but torque steer is usuall the result of un-equal length half-shafts - something MINI tried to do away with ...

Old 06-11-2003, 10:21 AM
jimbo858
2nd Gear
>>The engine mounts will help with keeping it from rocking as the original bushings would probably break down over time .... but torque steer is usuall the result of un-equal length half-shafts - something MINI tried to do away with ...

that's the way I understand it. oh and I still get torque steer on my Civic even though I have the full polyurethane kit from Energy Suspension.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:04 AM
Casey
5th Gear
Yes, the drive shafts are the main contribitor in most cars to torque steer...thankfully in the MINI they are equal length....but as the engine performance is improved and during hard acceleration, especially out of corners the stock bushings can't handle the weight transfer/engine movement and this also causes torque steer. When BlueThunder was pushing 190hp the torque steer was very noticable while pushing the car hard, the PowerFlex bushings has improved that greatly.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:43 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having not done this before, I'm quite ignorant as to what's involved with the install of this mod. I would tend to think not a typical DIY???

Old 06-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
>>Having not done this before, I'm quite ignorant as to what's involved with the install of this mod. I would tend to think not a typical DIY???

Well you are either replacing or adding to the existing bushings. This could be best done as a combo with the pulley as you'll already have the engine mounts disengaged.

As for what you're installing, there's the big one on the passenger side mount and a smaller pass thru one. There's one for the engine mount pivot point on the driver's side, and the one for the dog bone mount under the engine. I believe there might be a transmission mount one as well.

R

Old 06-11-2003, 12:19 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do any of the aftermarket bushings have metal washers to distribute the mount loads to the bushings? I don't like the looks of the mount digging into the yellow bushing:

Old 06-11-2003, 12:40 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Davbret digs into his brain to remember the install from a couple weeks ago....

Hmmm, I know the front passenger side engine mount (purple in the above picture) does have a metal inner sleeve, but I don't believe there are any "washers". How would that help transfer anything? Using your example of the big yellow passenger side top rear mount, if you had a washer, that would only affect forces pushing down on the bushing, not lateral movement.

Do you mean inner metal sleeves to keep them from ripping apart so to speak? I've got a full set sitting on the work bench right now. I'll pull them out and snoop this out later today when I get home.

R

Old 06-11-2003, 12:46 PM
Daytona955i
4th Gear
>>>>The engine mounts will help with keeping it from rocking as the original bushings would probably break down over time .... but torque steer is usuall the result of un-equal length half-shafts - something MINI tried to do away with ...
>>
>>that's the way I understand it. oh and I still get torque steer on my Civic even though I have the full polyurethane kit from Energy Suspension.

Have you noticed any difference? Also I'd like to hear from someone other than casey (who posted the vendor announcement) as to their opinions. (I don't always trust someone who is trying to sell something... no offence)

People who have them: worth it? or worth it in a few years when the existing bushings start to wear? (I'm leaning towards the latter)
-Chris

Old 06-11-2003, 12:54 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In driving jlm's car (which has the bushings) it definitely transmits more engine vibration through the seats, pedals, and steering wheel but it's not excessive. On-and-off throttle response felt more secure. I din't notice a difference between jlm's car and mine with the stock bushings while doing burnouts though (jlm was there! no need to tell on me! )

1/4 Mile Database

Old 06-11-2003, 01:00 PM
8ball
6th Gear
>>
>>People who have them: worth it? or worth it in a few years when the existing bushings start to wear? (I'm leaning towards the latter)
>>-

In my Classic Mini's, i'd replace the stock type, as soon as they started to get soft or worn, with the plastic ones ... the old rubber ones didn't have much of a life and the poly ones stayed in good shape for what seemed like the rest of the life of the car; the poly bushes also made the old suspension feel much less mushy ..

I'm waiting to see what the service life of the new MINI bushings is, and watching to see and feel how much 'mush' developes over time ... so far, for a street car, they're holding up well ... (there is a lot to be said for purple-and-yellow instead of black, though ... "bling-bling&quot

Old 06-11-2003, 01:31 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>Well you are either replacing or adding to the existing bushings. This could be best done as a combo with the pulley as you'll already have the engine mounts disengaged.

Thanks Davbret. With the pulley mod rapidly approaching, it would seem to be a very opportune time to do this! More research...

Old 06-11-2003, 03:40 PM
jlm
6th Gear
the bushings need, and do not come with, large washers to distribute the load over the plastic; when I get a minute, i'll whip some up for my rig. You can add the poly mounts in about 15 minutes... support the engine, remove the two bolts and a few wires that may be in the way, pop in the poly parts and put it back together. the hardest part was getting the rubber w/steel sleeve bushing out of the bracket at the motor end. Use wd-40 and hammer it out with a dowel.

by the way, I'm not convinced that everthing that gets lumped under the moniker "torque steer" has anything to do with torque or steering, especially for a front wheel drive. The concept of equal length driveshafts was conjured up so there wouldn't be excess windup in a longer driveshaft (like a torsion bar), putting the power delivery wheel to wheel out of phase, as I underesytand it. But the mini just spins a wheel anyway, and no one complains about nega-torque steer!

Old 06-11-2003, 05:47 PM
BlueMCS
5th Gear
Hey Andy -

That's is that jlm's car or yours?