Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain crown spokes weight?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:15 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crown spokes weight?

can anyone tell me the crown spokes and dunlops weight? i would like to dump the heavy spokes and run flats after they wear down.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:22 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure why this is in the Drivetrain Mods forum, but the Crown Spokes weigh 22.5 lbs. each. I don't know the weight of the Dunlaps. You could probably look that up on the Tire Rack's web page.

I bought a set of CenterLine RPMs that weight somewhere between 15-16 lbs. and mounted Michelin Pilot Exhalto PE2s. There is a big difference in ride. I just put the Crown Spokes and Dunlaps back on, man are they harsh.

If I were to do it over, I might go with 16" wheels. The racers seem to like them.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
thank you mr casady . i wasnt sure where to post . is there anyway to get one of those cool shift ***** in a pistol grip? the c spokes and s lites on my old mini ride rougher than my fire truck and its about 46000lbs.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:41 AM
DocB
Neutral
R56 tire swap

heya Engine 58:

Last week I had Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires put on my 2007 MCS (it has LSD/sport susp and 17 inch Crown Spokes). These are DOT (street)-legal track tires, though standard on a Porsche GT3. I have run several sets on my 996 turbo all summer long, live in NYC area and drive in and out of the city plus to track days. I have not bothered to switch tires in the summer for 3 key reasons: 1) I find the ride livable, though I am careful on construction plates, etc. The ride is very firm, but does have a bit of give- reminds me of hitting clay rather than say a raquetball. 2) convenience

and most of all: 3) the transformation in grip, turn-in response, and braking is utterly astounding. On my 996 turbo I "normally" run PS2s, certainly a top choice (and a better ride), but even there the performance difference is wide. On the MCS, it was delivered with Dunlop all-seasons, decent grip, comfortable, but absolutely scary (with the factory suspension settings) in high-speed sweepers, say 85 MPH and up. A gent at Alta claimed they are unstable that way regardless but better with better tires. I have over 20 years decent track time and thus have a decent sense of how to drive...(I actually figured the "throttle smoothness discipline" would translate well to my 996 turbo (505 HP currently, coilovers, seats/harnesses, etc)- but I digress.)

Just wore off the release compound and am breaking them in, but initial impressions are once again, an utter transformation of the car. The rear skittishness is vastly improved (though of course at 8 or 9 10ths street driving, not sure of behavior at high-speed limit, and for me it may not matter much.) Also, as they are essentially like street slicks, simply be very attentive in the rain, and I have not had a problem (again, we are talking FWD and AWD here, not a RWD application). The tires weigh 21# per the Tire Rack, Dunlops at 20#.

Now, here's the compromise I am less happy with: the size is 225/45-17, which as I had hoped by eyeballing, fits the car (with stock settings, stock sport susp) with no rubbing...but of course the tires are 0.7 " taller, affecting gearing by my careful calculation just under 3% (taller gearing). NOW...I must say, I would not have expected much of a noticable performance difference, but to my perhaps overly sensitive sensors, to me the car has perceptibly less snap in terms of accelleration. I is not slow, but the throttle response is off a bit...makes it seem the gearing for the little blown 1.6 is just right in terms of turbo spooling up. Also, my car is porky, with all the options (I grabbed it off the lot as a demo, didn't want to wait until September).

Were I to do it again, I think I would either do a Bridgestone RE-01R (22#) in the stock size- I would expect a better ride and hopefully most of the improvements- or a Kumho Ecsta MX, maybe in 215/40 size (only $108 and only 20#, plus a tad wider and shorter). I may do this anyway- if so, I will post impressions here somewhere. I did the PS Cups out of confidence in the tire and they are awesome- just a tad too tall.

Even if you have the "summer" Dunlops, a serious tire improvement will feel like a new suspension and 13" brakes, especially in Florida. I would say, don't wait! I noticed Tire Rack has SSR wheels in 17 x 7.5, forged, only about 16 #...awfully tempting...(I hope the ugly lettering is just removable decals)...

I would think most performance value would be top tires, alignment, and tight racing seats and harnesses (as on my other car; they are lighter, too, maybe 16 # vs possibly 45-60 for the stock seat- 996 T power/htd/leather seat is 70# each, recaro SPG without harness is 15-16#- get the right width for your body, though- go sit in some).

Good luck,

DocB

Old 08-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
thank you mr casady . i wasnt sure where to post . is there anyway to get one of those cool shift ***** in a pistol grip? the c spokes and s lites on my old mini ride rougher than my fire truck and its about 46000lbs.
Didn't notice your post until just now. I could probably do a carved shape, rather than turned, but it would be more work. I'd have to know the exact shape you wanted, or you'd have to put up with what I thought was good.

I find the turned ***** to be very comfortable. I've hand carved "ergonomic" shape ***** before, and don't see the advantage. I think the best shape, for all shifts, up and down, is the "lightbulb" shape. Good grip and comfortable for all shifts.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:41 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
thanks docb and r. casady , im thinking of getting some oz ultras and either michs , yoks or kumo and maybe a jcw shift **** after i save up for the stage 1. rc i checked out your work and i have to say the work you do is a real beauty. it reminds me of my grand fathers work , he was a craftsman. now back on topic , i have a 101 mile comute to work and i really like to get around traffic . so grip and tire wear are a must also rain seems to never end in south florida either. the turnpike has some nice sweepers and i hit them good . it so good to be back in a mini. my honda stinked. if you have more tire suggestions i would greatly listen. thank you E58