Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Intercooler for R56

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:21 PM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler for R56

Does anyone know if a universal intercooler can be easily installed to the R56 like this one?

Old 07-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Mad TKD
2nd Gear
I would imagine so. All you need is the max size and measurements. Its pretty easy.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:59 PM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
hummmm.....anyone got the dimensions for the stock one? Or what would actually fit?

Old 07-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikeg4572
hummmm.....anyone got the dimensions for the stock one? Or what would actually fit?
Just curious to know why you would want to swap the stock IC for something else.
I know there aren't many(any?) mods for the R56 MCS yet that would require you to need more intercooling.

BTW, sweet ride man!

Old 07-11-2007, 03:52 PM
th3118
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN
Just curious to know why you would want to swap the stock IC for something else.
Mike lives in ARIZONA.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:59 PM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
Thanks!

Yeah I live in AZ. The car runs much different in 115 degree tempurature than when its cooler. I was thinking that the car may be more consistant with a larger intercooler.

I could be wrong. I dont want to loose boost with a larger intercooler either.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Thanks!

Yeah I live in AZ. The car runs much different in 115 degree tempurature than when its cooler. I was thinking that the car may be more consistant with a larger intercooler.
I understand now.
I'm guessing the R56 MCS pictured in your sig and your gallery is yours. So get in there and start digging!
Take the bumper cover off and have at it. Be the first DIY R56 IC swap.

I could be wrong. I dont want to loose boost with a larger intercooler either.
There are countless threads on here about that, and one good one going on now.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:08 PM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
Yeah, thats my ride. I may take a look at it. I am also considering an air dirverter.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:54 PM
spam052
2nd Gear
hey mike i recently talked to alta and they said that in about 2-3 weeks they are coming out with a big intercooler for $750 .

Old 07-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock intercooler is an unusual shape, almost square in cross section. It might be nice to go to a taller core, but it's going to be tough without chopping away the front body work.

Still, where there's a will, there's a way. We'll be working on it.

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Old 07-11-2007, 10:38 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
spam052: Thanks for posting pics of the ALTA mule! That does have a working and thoroughly tested FMIC upgrade on it. We do have some dyno results (ask ALTA2 here). I need to find out on delivery dates though. This will also maintain HP in mikeg's case. Being able to remove the heat and keep it removed is the key to making more HP in a hotter climate. (There are also hp gains in cooler climes as well.) This is an easy to install bolt on part that more than pays for itself in improved HP, TRQ and engine longevity, (remember heat kills!)

I hope "Howard" will get one of these ASAP!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:14 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Adam,

That is a really nice piece! Have there been any issues with the ECU? It looks like the bumper did not need to be trimmed, just the mesh removed. Is that right? I might get one for my car!

Thanks,
Randy

Old 07-13-2007, 10:19 PM
wrxdriver
3rd Gear
There is no real big reason (unless you have a lot of huge power mods) to upgrade to a fmic. They cause turbo lag b/c of the distance that the air has to travel to the intake. I would suggest, if they make one, a larger tmic. Especially with ambient temps along with temps from the ground rising to heat the fmic. Larger surface area = cooler temps and longer duration to heat up the tmic.

Spam052 - does the 750 include piping and silicone connectors?

Last edited by wrxdriver; 07-13-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guess what?

When Gary A (MC Squared Editor) asked the Mini drivetrain engineering guy what he'd change on the R56, the first thing he said was the IC! Maybe there's more room for improvement that you'd think......

Matt

Old 07-13-2007, 10:32 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Hey Randy,

You are correct! No issues at ALL with the ECU. This was also tested on the mule from Utah, to the Dragon and all the way back to Oregon! And the production version MAY allow the grille to go back on with some minor changes as well. Stay tuned to our site for updates and availability!

Old 07-13-2007, 10:34 PM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
It looks better without the grill replaced!

Old 07-14-2007, 12:22 AM
aus
3rd Gear
Why not get a water or alcohol injection system? Instant drop in temp when you need it.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:40 AM
Electron_Mike
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wrxdriver
There is no real big reason (unless you have a lot of huge power mods) to upgrade to a fmic. They cause turbo lag b/c of the distance that the air has to travel to the intake. I would suggest, if they make one, a larger tmic. Especially with ambient temps along with temps from the ground rising to heat the fmic. Larger surface area = cooler temps and longer duration to heat up the tmic.

Isn't the R56 FMIC anyway? It seems that for the trade off in long plumbing (and slightly reduced boost) you'd get much lower temps from the air flowing through the larger core of the FM, since it would be presented vertically to the airflow, unlike the angled TMIC of the R53?

Old 07-14-2007, 09:24 AM
wrxdriver
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Electron_Mike
Isn't the R56 FMIC anyway? It seems that for the trade off in long plumbing (and slightly reduced boost) you'd get much lower temps from the air flowing through the larger core of the FM, since it would be presented vertically to the airflow, unlike the angled TMIC of the R53?
Yeah, that is the question of the year. TMIC or FMIC? Yes tmic has more heat soak (especially when standing still) but with my wrx i ran many tests by putting a temp probe in the hose from the ic to tb to see what can be done about that with many variables. Intercooler water sprayer helps tremendously along with a larger tmic.

While i definitely agree that the fmic has lower temps than a tmic and is appealing to the eye, although a few things can be done to make the tmic just as cool as the fmic. And I can admit, it is just something about the way that the fmic looks that gets my motoring juices running. But with the quicker spool up times that come with a tmic it seems that it would benefit the r56 when autox by lowering the torque powerband allowing for faster acceleration .

It really boils down with what side effects are you willing to cope with. Here is a list just off the top of my head:

TMIC:
Smaller
Less Expensive
Easier to install
Less Piping = Less Turbo Lag

FMIC
Bigger (but you need a really big turbo for it to matter that much)
More Cooling When Moving
Preheats Your Radiator
More Lag

Electron_Mike, Thanks for the heads up. I have seen so many more r53 than rs6 that i forgot about the stock fmic. Has anyone switched the fmic for a tmic? I am curious to hear what changes that they have noticed, if there is an aftermarket tmic.

Last edited by wrxdriver; 07-14-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No one will do it on an R56...

beside the no space, it's just a bad idea. The only reson the R53 had the top mount was packaging space in the first place. Same with the Subie world you've come from.

The problem with top mounts is that even with a scoop on the hood, you're still in a relatively low pressure area going over the hood. That is unless you have a massive scoop. Then the issues are seeing around it and increased drag.

Matt

Old 07-14-2007, 10:11 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
aus: Do both! :-)

Agreed: The car has FMIC from the factory, so make improvements to the core and the plumbing is a FAR better plan than trying to re-invent the wheel by going with a TMIC. Thanks Doc!

Old 07-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Grahamxx
1st Gear
Doe's the test car have air-con?

Old 07-15-2007, 06:35 AM
silver arrow
3rd Gear

Coming from an STi or WRX you would be right. In' this case you are probably wrong. 2 completely different cars. WRX/STi's require ALOT or extra tubing to plum a FMIC and have larger turbo's than the Mini. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:12 AM
wrxdriver
3rd Gear
^^ Thats a response that I love to hear. When I posted that reply I forgot that the r56 has a fmic so that does make my whole judgement on the mcs incorrect. You are right about the Subaru tubing having to be extra long.

This is the reason why i joined and am active on this forum, to learn about minis. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:00 PM
silver arrow
3rd Gear
^^ Thats a response that I love to hear. When I posted that reply I forgot that the r56 has a fmic so that does make my whole judgement on the mcs incorrect. You are right about the Subaru tubing having to be extra long.

This is the reason why i joined and am active on this forum, to learn about minis. Thanks.
Me too, but there are very few actual hardcore gearheads really pushing the envelope in the Mini community. Much better tech and R&D discussions in the Suby community, though most of the Mini people are nicer. Just not as many gearheads.

The amount of tubing to install a FMIC is insane on a Suby.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Intercooler for R56