Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Intercooler for R56

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:13 PM
silver arrow
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=0527

I used a similar set up as this controller on the IC sprayer installed on my old STi. An effective IC sprayer kit would work very well in hot weather, be pretty cheap and still be useful if you upgraded the IC later. A well set up IC sprayer is a pretty good alternative to a FMIC upgrade if you don't want the bling of a huge core. The Mini has a big advantage over an STi with a TMIC, in that the Suby IC sits right over the engine and is prone to heat soak. I'm not sure where the R56 IC is, but it appears to be in the front bumper area, similar to the old 2.7T Audi's. The sprayer will be very effective if that is the case.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:12 PM
wrxdriver
3rd Gear
I agree on the ic sprayer. What is the ic core size on the R56?

Old 07-15-2007, 10:27 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Grahmxx: Yes it does. ALL factory accessories, etc. are all in place and functioning! Let me know if I can ever help further!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:13 AM
silver arrow
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Grahmxx: Yes it does. ALL factory accessories, etc. are all in place and functioning! Let me know if I can ever help further!
Have you thought about putting together an IC spray kit? Would probably sell pretty well.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:50 PM
sdv515
4th Gear
there is already a air diverter and spray kit for the R56

Old 07-16-2007, 03:34 PM
silver arrow
3rd Gear
Can you PM me the link please?

Old 07-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Firebolt
2nd Gear
mini madness makes them.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:09 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Hey guys, we will have them out VERY soon as an add on to our diverter kit. (Sorry if it isn't on the website, this moving thing has been a royal PITA!) Call me or e-mail me for details! Sorry for not getting back to everyone sooner!

Thanks folks!

Old 07-25-2007, 02:22 PM
a4autocrossr
2nd Gear
how much clearance is there between the stock IC and the exhaust coming off the turbo because first off space will get really tight and you're gonna have massive heat soak if you get too close to the turbo, therefore mostly defeating the point...i was thinking of making a homebrew CO2 IC spray kit and seeing how that turned out...

--E

Old 07-26-2007, 02:08 AM
YakiMini
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Link to our FMIC Diverter w/ Sprayers

Originally Posted by sdv515
there is already a air diverter and spray kit for the R56
Originally Posted by silver arrow
Can you PM me the link please?
Originally Posted by Firebolt
mini madness makes them.
There you go! Good Luck controlling your mod MADNESS!
(we have pics, a graph, and a video)
http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=295

Tristan w/ www.Mini-Madness.com

Old 07-26-2007, 03:11 AM
steve11
3rd Gear
Not many 'gearheads'. Speak for yourself. Check out my gallery & you will see i raced a very serious STI for years fitted with a FMIC among many other mods & it made a huge difference. As for the idea of swapping a front mount to a top mount, that is about the most stupid suggestion i have heard yet. The only reason for ANY forced induction car to run a top mount is packaging requirements & cost saving. Oh & my STI came with a factory water sprayer & it made stuff all difference. You really do need to do some research.

Last edited by steve11; 07-26-2007 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:33 AM
wrxdriver
3rd Gear
I have to say that I still think that a tmic is not a "stupid suggestion" as you put it. If you have noticed, the R56 has not only the turbo right next to it but the exhaust manifold. Heat soak maybe? Also its funny that the wrc subie cars have a reveresed intake to place the intercooler at the top grill. A hybrid of a tmic and a fmic. So the whole tmic idea cant be that "stupid". There are a lot of subie owners that do go with a tmic instead of a fmic (me for example) that can cause it to have less heat soak with a tmic than with fmic, plus without the lag. Case in point, making it more efficient. As for the scoop not diverting the air to the intercooler as much Dealing with autox you want as much low end power as possible so my idea of eliminating turbo lag by the means of a tmic, I think would be a great advantage. I have done my own research conducted on my 05 wrx (turboxs tmic) and a friends 04 wrx (turboxs fmic) including as many variables that we could keep constant and the tmic was the a few degrees cooler with my mods to the tmic. Excuse me for not sticking with the norm and trying to make my car run better and faster by conducting my own experiments.

Last edited by wrxdriver; 07-26-2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:12 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is hardly any piping with the stock MCS front mount, Turbo to intercooler is probably 3 feet if that, and back to the tb is another 5? maybe? You'd cut down a foot or two with a tmic probably, and you could do a top mount on this car, but i'd enjoy seeing your hood afterward. I'm a fan of fmic vs. tmic, heat soak on tmic IS an issue, the motor is right below it. A proper front mount does fine without 90 miles of piping, and if memory serves the APS front mounts are pretty damn efficient with little loss on subies. The hood scoop on the STIs is HUUUGE compared to the mini. Also the WRC subie drivers hit things a lot, a front mount would leak when cracked and there you go, you have no boost. I think thats the underlying reason. Front mount is the way to go, top mounts are only good if you crash a lot (not to mention the surface area difference and velocity of air, etc. of a front mount. Top mounts suck)

My $.02,
Josh

Last edited by a96bimmerm3; 07-26-2007 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:15 AM
gjhsu
5th Gear
Wow, it's like I'm back on nasioc (subaru forums, for those not in the know).... (in reference to steve11 and wrxdriver's bickering)

Last edited by gjhsu; 07-26-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:25 AM
wrxdriver
3rd Gear
^^ Isnt debate and exchanging facts (forums in general) a part of improving your knowledge and your car? Because just following what everyone else is saying isnt good enough you need to break the barriers and get out of your comfort zone. Ask questions, debate a few things, stand by your opinions. Isnt that how you learn things? If you dont like it, shouldnt you just not read this thread?

Last edited by wrxdriver; 07-26-2007 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:34 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah i like a little spirited discussion, its how we learn. I still want to see a top mount r56 and if it can use stock hood. Hmm maybe a water to air.. that would be great piping wise. ideas ideas...

Old 07-26-2007, 08:37 AM
gjhsu
5th Gear
I'm reading the thread hoping to pick up information on new intercoolers for the Mini Cooper S, not how someone's opinion is stupid, and not about how empirical data taken on a Subaru should be presented as fact for a MINI.

I've got a bigger top mount, I know the shortcomings of the design. Only reason I don't have a front mount on my WRX is because it's expensive and I'm lazy.

So..... any new intercoolers for the MCS?

Old 07-26-2007, 09:25 AM
wrxdriver
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gjhsu
I'm reading the thread hoping to pick up information on new intercoolers for the Mini Cooper S, not how someone's opinion is stupid, and not about how empirical data taken on a Subaru should be presented as fact for a MINI.

I've got a bigger top mount, I know the shortcomings of the design. Only reason I don't have a front mount on my WRX is because it's expensive and I'm lazy.

So..... any new intercoolers for the MCS?
Oh I agree with you. I apologize for bringing that up earlier in this thread. I had no intentions of turning it into a subaru thread. That is the only turbo car (03 wrx & 05 wrx) that I have and performed wrench time to so I was making the best reference that I could in hopes to gain more info about the R56 mcs. I love these cars and I want to learn as much as I can about them. So given with a common knowledge that the basic setup and mechanical properties on turbo cars are "generally" the same, I made a comment on a very common disscusion about tmic vs. fmic. I am the type of person to make a purchase on a part just to see the quality of the upgrade and what can be done to make the mod perform better. So you will hear plenty from me when disscusions arise about performance topics (i.e. suspension, engine, brakes, etc.) especially when I get my own r56. Its good to read about peoples trials and tribulations.

Last edited by wrxdriver; 07-26-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:47 AM
wrxdriver
3rd Gear
Ive even gone to the extreme of adding 3x 4 inch high performance ball bearing computer fans to my ic diverter for my tmic to help the ic breathe better and to bring in a larger volume of air. Then I have a relay that switches (manually) the fans on at a stoplight or resting point on the track to extract heat (b/c it is easier to extract heat from an object to have faster cool-down) from the ic. I just made this so I havent gotten the chance to test it out yet. Along with a perforated screen on the scoop to catch most of the water incase of rain, I feel that this would help the ic with cooler air. This is what I like to do rather than just pop on an upgrade and be done with it.

Last edited by wrxdriver; 07-26-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fans on ICs

are good things! They're pretty common in the Mustang world where there's no easy way to get cooling air for a conventional IC to the centripital SCs that are available from many for the V8s. With the computer fans, make sure they can flow enough, and that they'll take the heat of the underhood envornment. Nothing worse than melted plastic on the valve cover!

Matt

Old 07-26-2007, 10:32 AM
wrxdriver
3rd Gear
Yeah I plan on testing the fans out (I bought plenty to experiment with) by just placing them in the oven at a set temp and seeing how they hold up. Thanks for the heads up .

Last edited by wrxdriver; 07-26-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:31 AM
a4autocrossr
2nd Gear
should make for some delicious meatloaf the next day......lol

--E

Old 07-27-2007, 07:59 AM
silver arrow
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by steve11
Not many 'gearheads'. Speak for yourself. Check out my gallery & you will see i raced a very serious STI for years fitted with a FMIC among many other mods & it made a huge difference. As for the idea of swapping a front mount to a top mount, that is about the most stupid suggestion i have heard yet. The only reason for ANY forced induction car to run a top mount is packaging requirements & cost saving. Oh & my STI came with a factory water sprayer & it made stuff all difference. You really do need to do some research.
I'll assume the "gearhead" comment was aimed at me, so I will respond. Both of us coming from STI's you should appreciate the fact that things like external waste gates, dogboxes and hardcore items outside the norm of modding a street car will probably not become common in the Mini community. That's fine, they are different cars and different missions. That is what I meant by gearheads. And I stick behind that assertion, as there are very few people pushing Mini's to that extreme, though the twin charger setups are really interesting.

As far as WRXdrivers suggestion, I agree that the engine layout of the Mini would make a TMIC a less than ideal solution, but you really don't have to use the word "stupid" in your response, he was just throwing ideas out there.

A Mini Maddness diverter/nozzles and the autospeed controller would be a very good setup with or without an upgraded core.