Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Inspiration!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 10:58 PM
Mikey8629
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a friend over the other day who inspired me. He and I layed out the ultimate modified MINI S, and I am drooling. Here it is: lowered with wheel spacers and an engine strut for extra (if it's possible) stability, along with pretty 18'' rims. Cold air intake, a nasty exhaust system, and a super-high-performance chip along with Magnecor spark wires for better response. Next, cross-drilled break disks with red performance callipers. For good measure, better add some ground effects for better air direction and flat out looks. New high-flow air and oil filters as well to make everything run smooth as butter. Basically, what we're looking at is (once more chips start to emerge...) 50+ extra ponies resulting in a 5.3 0-60 (hence the drooling) and cornering ability that can take on any production car out there. Any ideas for more mods? We can build our own fantasy MINI here fellas.

Old 08-13-2002, 11:11 PM
Nolan
2nd Gear
I wouldn't call it drooling.....more like fantasizing.....it would be nice to get an extra 50hp out of the current S engine, but you will never get it with those upgrades.....a poster here put on the new exhaust, new air intake and new wires and got an additional 3 more hp on the dyno...wow, that was certainly worth $600 +......add engine problems after tinkering with the ECU and you will really see what $$$'s down the drain looks like.....a new engine upgrade is needed and BMW already realizes it....unfortunately it might be awhile, but worth the wait when it does come.. for now just settle for the 8 sec 0-60 times....

Old 08-14-2002, 12:08 AM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
Nolan,
I think the dyno run you are quoting was based only on one mod (on a base Cooper, not an "S&quot. The exhaust (the other mods were installed after the run). That said.... I don't see why 50+ HP isn't possible from an "S".
Re: Inspiration!
Sounds like a nice setup!
First.... the JCWs Mod will bring you a +40 gain. This would change most of the key mods for a build up. At this point you could work on the drive train. Getting power to the ground will be key as well.
One thing that I've been kicking around...... Adding a water sprayer to the intercooler intake. This is currently being done with the WRX STi in Europe. It is said to give a "nice" boost in power when sprayed.
Also.... I think as time passes we will see what can be done with this engine. It is still very early to tell what it is capable of. Based on the early mods available.... It looks like fun.
Happy Motoring.
SW

Old 08-29-2002, 09:59 PM
xericx
1st Gear
How about a nice 25hp nitrous spray for the intercooler. Always gives turbo cars a great boost. If anything water spraying will do the trick to give you that missing horsepower on hot days. I think the way to go is going to be an upgraded pulley along with an ECU upgrade to match. If its pushed too much though the supercharger could give way and if the pulley is too small the belt could start to slip at high rpms. Also the injectors can't supply enough fuel if your pushing too much boost causing leaning out at high rpms and burning up of pistons. The more you try to use a chip to push stock parts the sooner they will break. Don't expect to get more than 200 realiable HP at the crank.

ERiC

Old 08-29-2002, 10:40 PM
Verruckt
4th Gear
You forgot the available adjustable rear linkages to fine-tune the rear tow and camber. THat'll tighten up the back end more than all the spacers and lowering. Check it out, I've seen several sites with these available.