Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The absolute truth on the Powerchip programming...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 11:19 AM
caidaudio
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, here is goes (and there are changes from last time):

There are 3 software packages available:
Mini Cooper software - $490 (plus shipping)
Mini Cooper S - no pulley - $640 (plus shipping)
Mini Cooper S - With pulley - $640 (plus shipping)
Specify 91 or 93 octane on any of these.
The programming is aparently significantly different between the w/o pulley and w/pulley versions.

This includes either shipping you a laptop with a special serial cable or just the serial cable if you have a good enough laptop. You get a key code from them, download your car's info onto the laptop, email it to them, they modify it with the new stuff, then send it back to you to load onto your car. Your car is only down for the time it takes you to download the software to the ECU.

There is a $500 core charge that will apply if the equipment they sent you (laptop and cable or just laptop) is not back in 7 days. This is refunded when they get the equipment back if it takes longer.

Re-flashing is free (you pay shipping), and there is no down-time for your car.

If you get the no pulley software now and later on get a pulley they charge $90 (plus shipping) to get the different software.

They are a fairly proven company and have been around for a while with BMW's, so I do have a bit of faith in them.

I just wanted to make sure everyone had all the right answers before they go badmouthing the company, unfortunately I think I'm a little too late. Anyhow, It's advantage is that you never have the car down for more than about 30 min., and that's pretty good. If Randy could come up with a way of getting that kind of downtime he would have the perfect software!!

Choose what you will, at least now you have the right info to draw the proper conclusions.

By the way, all this info was gotten simply by asking Powerchips, they had no problem clarifying any questions I had.

Chris
'03 MCS

Old 05-22-2003, 12:31 PM
6f7
4th Gear
If only they made a cable and software for my palm so I could switch back to stock when I let someone else drive. Now that would be cool !

Old 05-22-2003, 04:11 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris,

I think there must be some confusion in the Powerchip camp.

I am currently working with them, and I'll tell you with absolute certainty what is out there.

The current programming is still in DEVELOPMENT for the S. It is not quite available. The cost for the S programming, pulley or not, is $840. If I can convince them that that is not a realistic price point, it may change - but probably not from what I've been told.

The Cooper programming is also being developed and costs under $500.

These numbers are straight from the person responsible for the development of the packages - by phone not e-mail - and are definitive.

Hope that helps!

Randy

PS: The EVOTech and Superchips programs both take about 30 minutes to do, as long as the car or ECU is here.

Old 05-22-2003, 04:21 PM
Minae
2nd Gear
Randy,

Have you considered implementing a program to allow us to do the load ourselves? The Powerchip deposit for a serial cable sounds like a reasonable approach, although if it were me, I'd require customers to provide their own compatible laptop.

Is that a realistic possibility?

Hey, got anything to say about the "Green Twister" intake?

TIA!

Old 05-22-2003, 05:15 PM
RUKnight
3rd Gear
I'll be getting an e-mail back from powerchips tomorrow so I'll let everyone know what they say to me.

Also anything over 350 is an absolute rip off in my opinion. Chip tuners generally charge more as the gains go up, for instance a basic GIAC chip for a VR6 equipped VW will give about 10WHP and 10 WLb-ft and is 350 dollars which is a fair price in my opinion, the chip for my GTI yielded over 50WHP and about 80Wlb-ft and it was only priced at 500 or so dollars...and you expect me to pay 800 for a 12-12hp gain...ridiculous. I know its not your fauly Randy, but we as Mini enthusiasts really shouldn't be supporting companies that are charging such ridiculous prices.

Also flashing is the way of the future. My GIAC chip was socketed and I bent a pin onetime swapping between my race and 93 octane chip and almost did some serious damnage, I would really prefer a chip that is flashed. It's easy, and there is no chance you can damage the ECU in the process

I suppose that is all I have to say for now
Mike

Old 05-22-2003, 07:12 PM
Trippy
Banned
It looks like we need a grudge-match.

One non-manufacturer pots something, and then a competitor posts
something different. Hmmmmmmm.

Randy, please keep us up to date, it looks suspicious that you have such
different impressions than we are getting.

Old 05-23-2003, 06:32 AM
RUKnight
3rd Gear
Here is what they sent me this morning...I asked a few more questions so they should be sending me some more info

Michael,

Price for the Mini S is $640.00. The 490.00 is for the regular Minis. If the factory reflashes your ECU,
we will reprogram at no charge ( shipping and handling only). There is a 500.00 deposit
on the equipment needed to program your car. this is where is gets tricky. The core deposit is not
charged to your credit card intil 7 days after the installation. this gives you ample time to send the
equipment back & escape the core charge.

Our software works with intakes and exhaust . also, we have software specifically for the
mini s with 15% pulley uypgrade.

Mike

Old 05-23-2003, 07:53 AM
Super_MINI
4th Gear
>>Here is what they sent me this morning...I asked a few more questions so they should be sending me some more info
>>
>>Michael,
>>
>>Price for the Mini S is $640.00. The 490.00 is for the regular Minis. If the factory reflashes your ECU,
>>we will reprogram at no charge ( shipping and handling only). There is a 500.00 deposit
>>on the equipment needed to program your car. this is where is gets tricky. The core deposit is not
>>charged to your credit card intil 7 days after the installation. this gives you ample time to send the
>>equipment back & escape the core charge.
>>

>>Our software works with intakes and exhaust . also, we have software specifically for the
>>mini s with 15% pulley uypgrade.
>>
>>
>>Mike

Sounds like someone needs to arrange a discussion with Rand's contact and Mike at Powerchips together to sraighten this out. Sounds like people at powerchips need to get their story straight. Development say's one thing and sales say's another... that never happens....

Old 05-23-2003, 08:42 AM
caidaudio
1st Gear
This pricing structure is new, within the last week. As far as availability, I can't say for sure, but Joel didn't sat anything about things being unavailable. I think we should really approach this as a real, quality, viable option. Randy, if you could get a hold of this that would be great. I believe their dyno graphs, but seing their chip in your car, compared against your base lines would really tell the truth.

Chris

Old 05-23-2003, 08:50 AM
macncheese
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So when are you guys buying it?

Old 05-23-2003, 08:56 AM
wainair
3rd Gear
>>If only they made a cable and software for my palm so I could switch back to stock when I let someone else drive. Now that would be cool !
>>

Now that is 100%what I want. Any developers out there paying attention?!!!
that woold be the cats....

Old 05-23-2003, 09:04 AM
sanity29
2nd Gear
ruknight: when did gaic start charging over $300 for their sofware. i was only charged $130 for mine. but then again it was for obd1 engine. but still i never heard of the gaic chips being more than that, unless that was jsut the place i get it from. however, i do agree with you, anything over $300 is just rediculous. i'm still waitng on gaic software for our cars.
later
ja

Old 05-23-2003, 09:04 AM
sram24
3rd Gear
>>Here is what they sent me this morning...I asked a few more questions so they should be sending me some more info
>>
>>Michael,
>>
>>Price for the Mini S is $640.00. The 490.00 is for the regular Minis. If the factory reflashes your ECU,
>>we will reprogram at no charge ( shipping and handling only). There is a 500.00 deposit
>>on the equipment needed to program your car. this is where is gets tricky. The core deposit is not
>>charged to your credit card intil 7 days after the installation. this gives you ample time to send the
>>equipment back & escape the core charge.
>>
>>Our software works with intakes and exhaust . also, we have software specifically for the
>>mini s with 15% pulley uypgrade.
>>
>>
>>Mike

Randy, is the $840 you quoted the price if you have the 15% pulley upgrade ?

Much confusion...

Old 05-23-2003, 09:48 AM
RUKnight
3rd Gear
I beleive for all the newer OBDII cars they are over 250.00, for example a chip for a 2.0 mk4 Jetta which gives about 10hp is 250.00
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...p;IL=GIACChips
While a VR6 is 300
And then of course you have the GIAC 996 bi-turbo chips, which come in at the paultry sum of 3500.00

Until a chip gives serious gains, I'm talking over 25-30hp I won't pay over 400 for one. Until then my mini will have a pulley and no chip, they run plenty rich and in due time prices will come down and there will also be more solutions.
Mike

Old 05-23-2003, 09:55 AM
canajun
2nd Gear
Folks,

Jim Conforti is the programming guru when it comes to BMW software. He churns out his product through various sources to include Turner Motorsports. His OBDII software is tied directly to one vehicle and allows you to flash your programming from factory to upgrade and back, in about 10 minutes. Price is usually under $300. I'd love to upgrade, but I'll wait for the:

1. Warranty to expire
2. Competition to take care of price

My $.02 worth!

Cheers

Geoff

Old 05-23-2003, 10:40 AM
RUKnight
3rd Gear
Problem is Jim C hasn't done much stuff for the newer cars. You're right though his programming is top notch, it's just a matter of will he write a program for the MCS
Mike

Old 05-23-2003, 10:40 AM
RUKnight
3rd Gear
Problem is Jim C hasn't done much stuff for the newer cars. You're right though his programming is top notch, it's just a matter of will he write a program for the MCS
Mike

Old 05-23-2003, 01:14 PM
bob421
1st Gear
According to Josh at Eurospoert, Jim C is already working on a shark injector for the Coopers

Old 05-23-2003, 06:45 PM
th3118
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That would be great!!! Low price, easy to use, removeable, reloadable. :smile: :smile:

Old 05-25-2003, 06:44 AM
joesellsmini
1st Gear
The GIAC prices quoted here so far have been for non-drive by wire VW's. The price on the DBW cars usually starts at around $495. I'm near AWE who've been GIAC dealers since the beginning and offer great customer support. Haven't heard the prices and availability of GIAC stuff for Mini. Joe

#37 Golf ITB

Old 05-26-2003, 01:29 PM
GordonD
2nd Gear
>>According to Josh at Eurospoert, Jim C is already working on a shark injector for the Coopers
That's great - I had his stuff on my 2.8 Z3 and it was a breeze to install and then go back to factory settings for warrenty work.

I had contacted him last Summer but he said he had no plans to do a MINI one - guess he has taken a 2nd look at the market opportunity

Old 05-27-2003, 08:06 AM
RUKnight
3rd Gear
I just heard back from powerchip again...here is what they had to say:

Michael,

Software for the Pulley modification is $640.00.

what we do differently is we run the proper air fuel ratios and make your car run much smoother.
by cleaning up the air fuels and adjusting the timing, we are able to make more power on the stock MIni S.
our Research and Development proves that your assumption is incorrect. Changing the timing
and fuel maps on the Mini S does make power. More so than the standard Mini. This is because the
Mini S runs inefficient air/fuels to begin with. Top speed Limiter is removed and the Rev limit is bumped up
slightly ( about 200rpm).

Mike

Old 05-27-2003, 08:57 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>Software for the Pulley modification is $640.00.
>>
>>what we do differently is we run the proper air fuel ratios and make your car run much smoother.
>>by cleaning up the air fuels and adjusting the timing, we are able to make more power on the stock MIni S.
>>our Research and Development proves that your assumption is incorrect. Changing the timing
>>and fuel maps on the Mini S does make power. More so than the standard Mini. This is because the
>>Mini S runs inefficient air/fuels to begin with. Top speed Limiter is removed and the Rev limit is bumped up
>>slightly ( about 200rpm).
>>

Hmmm...this is getting interesting. If this chip, designed specifically for the pulley, could work like the the Evotech by adding ~ 15 or so HP....yet give us the convenience of flashing it ourselves so as not to have our MINI unusable for 2-3days...AND costs $100 less......this may be something. I wish I knew someone who had it done!

Old 07-07-2003, 07:54 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Hello all,

So it seems the last post on this thread was the end of May 2003.

What new dicussions/findings/information ...have been uncovered/released???????

I'll attach a recent response from Powerchip.....

"Dear Dennis,

I just realised that I forgot to tell you the differences between Powerchip GOLD, SILVER and BRONZE. Take a look at the information below which outlines the benefits of fitting Powerchip GOLD to your Mini.

The Powerchip is customised for your needs, and the new levels allow us to match a chip to suit a customers requirements. The new levels allow for almost all modified vehicles (exhaust, filter, cold air), and also standard vehicles. They can also be customised to suit either high or low octane fuel.

We have taken this approach to allow us to recommend the chip that is right for our customers car, based on a series of questions asked by one of our Power Consultants, the POWERCHIP is designed specifically for your car. We use express delivery for all Gold and Silver orders, which means the POWERCHIP is ready to be installed with a minimum of fuss, the very next working day.

The many advantages of the new Gold and Silver range are listed below.

Powerchip BRONZE
This chip is our entry-level product. Noticeable gains in power and torque can be had from the fitment of this chip. Works well with standard fuel. Our Bronze chip is comparable to other chips on the market, and is priced accordingly. The BRONZE Powerchip offers...

increased Power and Torque throughout the rev range.
smoother vehicle operation
faster acceleration
comparable to competitors chips
delivery by Australia Post

Powerchip SILVER
The SILVER is designed for those wishing to experience the customisation of the POWERCHIP GOLD, without having to be committed to using Premium Unleaded all the time. Our programmers will make changes for aftermarket products installed on the car, however the car can be run on standard fuel without problems. All of the benefits of Powerchip Silver are available for only an additional $50 more than Powerchip Bronze. The SILVER offers...

Increase Power and Torque throughout the rev range.
faster acceleration
Is customised to suit aftermarket products (air filter, exhaust etc.)
Raised rev limit (where possible)
Revised gearbox shift patterns / transmission changes (Automatic Commodore's only).
Rear window stickers
Dash badge with individual customer build number
Free Express TNT delivery door to door

Powerchip GOLD
The most powerful chip in our range. The GOLD POWERCHIP is Designed for enthusiasts with only performance in mind. The POWERCHIP is engineered with only the best quality Premium Unleaded Fuel available. If you want the ultimate chip in the world, go for the POWERCHIP GOLD. All of the benefits of Powerchip Gold are available for only an additional $50 more than Powerchip Silver Other advantages include...

larger increases in Power and Torque throughout the rev range.
significantly increased acceleration
the chip's ignition timing is specifically tuned to take advantage of high-octane fuel
Customised to suit aftermarket modifications (air filter, exhaust etc.)
Raised rev Limit (where possible)
Revised gearbox shift patterns / trans changes (Automatic Commodore's only)
Unique Gold dash badge with individual customer reference number,
Free Express TNT delivery to your door

If you want to purchase a POWERCHIP, you can do so on our website at:
https://www.powerchipgroup.com/produ...sp?pid=Min0003

Kind regards
Joel Ayson
Mini Power Consultant
Powerchip Inc
233 Wilshire Bvd, 4th Floor
Santa Monica, CA, 90401-1205
Freecall 1800-495 0777
Ph 310 917 1075"

The quote of $640 seems to still be current for the bronze package.

There is also the silver package which is $50 more or..... $690

And finally there is the gold package which is yet another $50 more or.... $740

Anyone buy it?
If so...does it do anything?

I'm real interested....:smile:

Peace
D

Old 07-07-2003, 08:21 PM
katnkevin
2nd Gear
I'm a little perplexed, just checked out the link, clicked on '02 pulley/chip and it says $990.00, did I miss something? Oh well, I've got the 3:30 on Friday with Randy for the Pulley/Chip install and should be hunting some open motoring spaces by evening.....oooh yeah.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The absolute truth on the Powerchip programming...