Driver's School Discuss tips, techniques, and schools for enhancing the driver portion of the performance driving equation.

LSC Region PCA Bans Minis at DE's

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 12:05 AM
mini-bear
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSR Region PCA Bans Minis at DE's

Several months ago, the LSR Region of PCA (Houston area) outlawed all Mini Coopers from their DE events. http://www.lsrpca.com/DE/Prohibited%20Vehicles.html

There were several incidents they were concerned about in which MINIs rolled and the doors opened in the rollover.

AFAIK LSR PCA is the only body in the country who has done such a thing. They've banned NO OTHER MARQUE except MINIS. Does anybody else know if other bodies have banned MINIS? Has anybody else lumped MINIS in with Corvairs? Unsafe at any speed?

Has anybody else seen instances of MINI rollovers where the doors opened?

How about Porsche rollovers where the doors opened?

Old 06-05-2006, 05:24 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Perhaps part of the reason may be that some of the "officials" have viewed Onasled's in car video of him passing all the Porsches at Lime Rock race track.

Also, there is a real difference in body integrity between the Mini and the MINI. Have the "officials" based their ruling on the older Mini? Should they reconsider their ruling in light of the all the impressive crash results turned in by the new MINI?

Sounds a little close-minded at best. Can they site previous issues and data?

Theo

Old 06-05-2006, 06:28 AM
mini-bear
2nd Gear
As I understand it, they're talking about new-generation MINIs. There was one incident in Turn 8 at Texas Motor Speedway, and supposedly at least one more incident. According to my memory of the postings, a driver got two wheels off the track and tried to recover, losing it when jerking the car back onto the track. The car rolled.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini-bear
As I understand it, they're talking about new-generation MINIs. There was one incident in Turn 7 at Texas Motor Speedway, and supposedly at least one more incident. According to my memory of the postings, a driver got two wheels off the track and tried to recover, losing it when jerking the car back onto the track. The car rolled.
Hmmm...

If their assessment is "best judgement", I'm shocked that the SCCA allows MINIs to race at autocrosses and track events . In fact, I suppose that the entire MINI Challenge Series is run based on faulty information!

Oh well, it's their event, they can do what they want.

Theo

Old 06-06-2006, 05:00 AM
mini-bear
2nd Gear
Here's a picture of the crashed MINI that is the basis for the ban. According to the Flag Steward at LSR PCA, they found four other instances of MINIS losing it on Turn 8 at TWS. He attributed the crash to the MINI's general config (fwd, weight distribution, handling), to the geography of the turn, and to driver inexperience. So their solution is to ban MINIS.

The car rolled (side-to-side, not end-over-end) several times. On the first roll, the driver's door opened and peeled back against the front fender. On the second and third rolls the driver contacted the racing surface. Both driver and instructor were injured, but survived.

It looks to me like the passenger compartment held up very well, but the door opening is a matter of concern.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:26 PM
katmeho
4th Gear
damn...

Old 06-09-2006, 10:36 AM
mudfoot
3rd Gear
Yikes, that is scary

My PCA region has not mentioned anything like that for our DE events (at this time).

It could be that their insurance carrier for their DE events has said they won't grant coverage if any MINIs are attending. If that is the case though, you'd expect ALL the providers to have blacklisted the MINI...

I'll keep an ear to the ground and try to find some more information.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:13 PM
JCWMiniS
2nd Gear
Rollcages....

Hmm maybe we all needa 4 point bolt on roll cage ... now I am scared

Old 07-10-2006, 01:15 PM
JCWMiniS
2nd Gear
No crotch belt....

The harnesses in the wrecked Mini don't have a crotch belt-- they are the kinda that don't really help you in case of an accident..does anyone think that could have made a difference??

Old 07-11-2006, 06:42 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Those 4 point harnesses may have saved their lives !!!!

Old 08-23-2006, 06:07 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by RED FURY
Those 4 point harnesses may have saved their lives !!!!
Schroth harness do work

Old 09-15-2006, 11:15 AM
mudfoot
3rd Gear
I've been out to the local track here a few times in the past couple months and there have always been at least 1-2 MINIs in the run groups. Some have harnesses, some don't, but they are still allowed to drive around here.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:22 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mini-bear
AFAIK LSR PCA is the only body in the country who has done such a thing. They've banned NO OTHER MARQUE except MINIS.
Interesting because I was just checking into PCA the other day and found this:

http://www.pca.org/drivers_ed/rules.html
Only Porsches can be driven on the track.

Then checking my local areas for the next DE it said this:
http://pcapotomac.us/
Due to the large number of PCA members who apply for our events, we accept only Porsche cars.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Alan
4th Gear
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
I'll be at TWS for DE October 21 & 22. Can't wait! Will be my first time at TWS, but I've done about 10 DEs at Pocono on the various roval configurations (South Course, North Course, East Course, Long Course - both configs).

Alan - recently moved back to Texas.

Doors Locked - DSC Off

Old 09-15-2006, 05:58 PM
scobib
5th Gear
TWS is great, great fun... You'll have a ball... coming down off the banking and into turn 1 and 2 is wicked!

Old 09-15-2006, 07:21 PM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chows4us
Interesting because I was just checking into PCA the other day and found this:

http://www.pca.org/drivers_ed/rules.html
Only Porsches can be driven on the track.

Then checking my local areas for the next DE it said this:
http://pcapotomac.us/
Due to the large number of PCA members who apply for our events, we accept only Porsche cars.

There are plenty of PCA regions that allow non-Porsches; I've run with many of them in MINIs and BMWs.

Gary

Old 09-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gbuff1
There are plenty of PCA regions that allow non-Porsches; I've run with many of them in MINIs and BMWs.

Gary
It's been my experience that if there is space they will take non P cars, at least in my case they have. They want full fields to help pay for track rents. I understand that they prefer P cars, but when it comes to paying the bills any car will do.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:54 PM
vader
4th Gear
I attended the last Maverick PCA (North Texas) event and I was the only MINI there. This was an excellent event, one of the best I've ever attended. Everyone was polite and friendly. The best part (besides getting to pass Porsches all weekend) was the full 30 minute run sessions. On Sunday, I wore a MINI shirt so that everyone would know who the MINI owner was. I had a lot of curious folks checking out the car.

Old 09-16-2006, 02:17 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Driving on a track at high speeds is a potentially risky activity. Accidents do happen but I have never seen an organizing group choose to ban any type of car based on a bad outcome from a previous event.

On two past occasions at Driving schools in my area there were accidents that involved a Honda S2000 and separately a BMW Z4. While they were not "roll overs" the S2000 did flip over. There was no problem with any car signing up for events after those accidents occurred.

I have seen many MINIs on the track and at autocross and when driven within limits they all do fine. You do have limits and MINIs can spin out and roll over but it does take quite a bit of speed along with a sudden loss of balance.

Sorry to hear about that MINI accident. If MINIs are banned then you just have to find another DE to attend and always be careful out there.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:45 AM
mightydread
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Koopah
Perhaps part of the reason may be that some of the "officials" have viewed Onasled's in car video of him passing all the Porsches at Lime Rock race track.

Also, there is a real difference in body integrity between the Mini and the MINI. Have the "officials" based their ruling on the older Mini? Should they reconsider their ruling in light of the all the impressive crash results turned in by the new MINI?

Sounds a little close-minded at best. Can they site previous issues and data?

Theo
dam even the older mini's driver side door opens in a crash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIwsq...elated&search=

Old 10-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Minzilla
4th Gear
Schroth harness do work
I can attest to that first hand, they work very well,.................. but before going back on track my car will have a full cage, 5 point harness, fire suppression , full fia suit and a Hans device.

I cannot stress enough to all those who participate in DE schools that you should use every safety device available to you (depending on your driving level )

For me what would have been a simple off track excursion on wet pavement tuned into a roll over when the car hooked sideways into a gravel pit.
Me unhurt, the car almost totalled, be aware that this potential exists for everyone.

We like to drive fast and push limits, and this is the safest place to do it (HPDE)with expert instruction, but be aware of the possible consequences

There are reasons that all racing sactioning bodies have very strict safety requirements,............and as you progress thru the higher levels at driving schools you will start to push all the limits, and the potential for damage or injury or even death are increased

Like the old desk Sarg used to say, "let's be careful out there!"

Old 10-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
I agree if you drive at 10/10's you need everything that there is available to you as far as safety goes. That being said if you go to a DE & can drive within your limits you don't need a full race car setup of safety equipment. The trouble is for some folks it's hard to find where their limit is & drive below that limit. Once the red mist sets in one can get in trouble fast.

Yes be careful out there.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Minzilla
4th Gear
I agree with your comments, however I don't believe that was applicable in my case, it was a wet track, therefore caution and half speed, and there were just a combination of factors that caused the slide and the roll. My Point it could a happened to anyone..............

Old 10-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
First of all I should have said sorry about your MINI. I hope you didn't think I was criticizing you. That wasn't my intention at all. Any time a person takes to the track there is a risk. Throw in a wet track & all bets are off. I do love driving in the rain though. Must be my rally roots.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:52 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gbuff1

Gary
I'm running in one this weekend at Heartland Park. I'll keep in mind that Mini
s apparently like to roll and hopefully avoid any such happening.

Quick Reply: LSC Region PCA Bans Minis at DE's