Driver's School Discuss tips, techniques, and schools for enhancing the driver portion of the performance driving equation.

What notes should I be taking while at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 05:38 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What notes should I be taking while at the track?

Last year, I didn't bother to record anything when I went to a track event or autocross. This year, I put a little notebook and pen into my "track box". What should I be taking note of?

What I did keep track of was air pressures (before and after the runs), and what tires, brake fluid, and brake pads I was running. I didn't have any issues, so I didn't really have any good notes to write... Since I don't have suspension adjustments available to me, I didn't have anything to write in that respect. I did record my fastest lap time (determined by watching my in-car video). I also recorded my tire's tread depths after the event (now that I've bought a tread depth gauge).

What other things should I be recording?

Weather (rain / dry / hot / cold / normal)?

Shift points?

RPMs at key points on the track?

Line through key turns?

It's easy to think of things now, why didn't I think of these while I was out there?

I'd like to come up with a consistent list of things to record and then I could get into the habit of writing down the same stuff after every session and before / after every day.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:59 PM
NoWin
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good question to think of asking.

I always record weather data. That will/can have effects on tire management.

I also record "things of interest" (be it an ooops or moment of brilliance). In other words: a quick de-brief written down on paper.

All things equal, you should know your shift points and the line (or variations thereof), so I consider those as non-essential recordings unless its a new track you visit, or something like that.

Some people may consider recording your monetary costs for the day too: tools, fees, parts, food.