North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Driver's School (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/driver-s-school-135/)
-   -   SCDA HPDE Schedule (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/driver-s-school/179311-scda-hpde-schedule.html)

Eddie07S 03-01-2013 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by slinger688 (Post 3689106)
How are you guys in terms of getting your cars ready for the track? Have not heard from some of you in some time.

I have some small changes that I am going to make. A set of IE fixed camber plates and I am looking for a set of Wilwoods. Otherwise, I am pleased with the car as it stands. It is a street car after all.

A mclaren mp4? For the track? That is going to be big track insurance bill :lol:

S-Driver 03-01-2013 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by slinger688 (Post 3689694)
Are you going to make the start of the season?

What do you think of the mclaren mp4 for track?

Start of the season? No....

McLaren.......whay bother thinking about it? You'll be lucky to see one out there, ever.

slinger688 03-02-2013 07:46 PM

What happened to Suss, Veggi and GKP?

slinger688 03-03-2013 04:45 PM

Guys, my Mini may be history.

Went for a drive around Kalanianaole highway when a full sized minivan crossed the center medium and swiped me. I was going the opposite direction and swerved over onto the grass side medium but she still keep on coming and hit me on a side swipe. The hit was about six feet off the center strip. Both my wife and I are ok.

Eddie07S 03-03-2013 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by slinger688 (Post 3690930)
Guys, my Mini may be history.

Went for a drive around Kalanianaole highway when a full sized minivan crossed the center medium and swiped me. I was going the opposite direction and swerved over onto the grass side medium but she still keep on coming and hit me on a side swipe. The hit was about six feet off the center strip. Both my wife and I are ok.

Wow...:eek2:

Glad everyone is OK.

Sorry to hear about your MINI. That poor car has been though a lot, as well as the owner. As we all know, the MINI is one tough car and it is well made to protect the people inside...I would get another on if that happened to me :wink:

Let us know becomes of your car.

slinger688 03-03-2013 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 3690938)
Wow...:eek2:

Glad everyone is OK.

Sorry to hear about your MINI. That poor car has been though a lot, as well as the owner. As we all know, the MINI is one tough car and it is well made to protect the people inside...I would get another on if that happened to me :wink:

Let us know becomes of your car.

Some bruises from the impact and burns from the air bag deployment. She hit me on the back of the driver damaging the door, rear panel and rear bumper. Also damaged the suspension, wheel and tire in the rear.

slinger688 03-03-2013 05:21 PM

Woman said she fell asleep at the wheel, this is at 12:30 pm just before lunch. She went straight into the barrier one my side of the road after hitting me.

veggivet 03-03-2013 05:48 PM

Glad you are both OK!! That car has seen you through some tough hits. Time to move up to the McLaren, I guess! Falling asleep at noon? I don't think so. Make sure she wasn't texting at the time. The police can check her cell activity. Don't post pix...I prefer to remember your car as I usually saw it...looking at the boot pull away from me at Lime Rock, on three wheels thru Big Bend.

Eddie07S 03-03-2013 06:28 PM

I had a church shuttle run into my retaining wall at about 8 pm one night not too long ago and the driver claimed the same thing (fell asleep). I thought ... Nah. But it can happen, and, after a bit of talking to him, I believed him....

Not to say, don't check for the texting; I agree she should be checked out. Hope the Police checked for drugs, even legal ones. There are a lot of things that can put one to sleep.

If the air bags went off, then the car was hit pretty hard and those are expensive to replace. You may be looking at a "total". If the suspension was hit like you say, that will be hard to fix right. You may want it to be totaled.

I like Veggi's thought - No pictures ... I will remember it the same way only at WGI, passing me on the front straight and pulling away from me on the back straight.

veggivet 03-03-2013 06:36 PM

At least at WGI I wouldn't get lapped, unlike Lime Rock! I see so many people DWD...driving while distracted. It is an epidemic out there!

S-Driver 03-03-2013 08:07 PM

Holy smokes Suan! Glad you guys are basically OK but also sad to hear about the MINI. I thought you went to paradise?? Seems as if you are are still experiencing the same idiotic behavior over there from others driving..

What are your early thoughts on a car replacement?

Went and checked out the racecar today.... target wieght thought to be able to get down to around 1500-1700lbs! The motor/tranny weighs 384lbs and the frame is around 200!! That car is going to be real comfy to sit in and drive!

slinger688 03-03-2013 09:41 PM

The rear suspension was hit hard. The rear wheel is 45 degree from the body. The tire has punctured, the wheel is crooked. Stripped the bolt off the aluminum control arm so the shock may be damaged as well. Not sure about the rear sway, I think that was hit as well.

I think this is doing to be a very expensive repair. I want to be there when the accident adjuster is there.

I think I may be inclined to believe that she fell asleep and came into my lane. Neither she or her 6 year old kid was injured, which is good. She went straight into the barrier and t boned the front of it. The barrier went through the engine bay and went within 1 1/2 feet of her foot well like a harpoon.

She was lucky to hit me first and slowed down her momentum, otherwise she could have been seriously injured when she t boned the barrier at full speed.

Eddie07S 03-04-2013 04:40 PM

It is hard to imagine that one person's misfortune is fortunate for someone else. But, in a way it might be that way in your case. The lady might have more to be thinking about had you not been at the wrong place at the wrong time only to save her from a worse fate. Slinger, it is nice of you to put a positive spin on this otherwise dreadful situation. :thumbsup:

slinger688 03-05-2013 01:02 AM

You know it is really only some material things that can be replaced so I am not too worried about these things as you guys already know.

If I had a McLaren MP4 and she smacked into it, I guess I will be singing a different tune.

fasttruck22 03-05-2013 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by slinger688 (Post 3691957)
You know it is really only some material things that can be replaced so I am not too worried about these things as you guys already know.

If I had a McLaren MP4 and she smacked into it, I guess I will be singing a different tune.

Sorry about this slinger but glad y'all are OK. Wife's JCW has been rear ended at stop lights twice this year. Thankfully no one was hurt. MINIs are amazingly tough cars, just some cosmetic damage. It was fortunate for us that this didn't happen to either of our other "ends in i" cars. As you put it, that certainly would be a different tune.
Happy to show you around Sebring if you come, S-driver knows my credentials.

slinger688 03-05-2013 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by fasttruck22 (Post 3692091)
Sorry about this slinger but glad y'all are OK. Wife's JCW has been rear ended at stop lights twice this year. Thankfully no one was hurt. MINIs are amazingly tough cars, just some cosmetic damage. It was fortunate for us that this didn't happen to either of our other "ends in i" cars. As you put it, that certainly would be a different tune.
Happy to show you around Sebring if you come, S-driver knows my credentials.

I think he might have talked about you a few times and perhaps we have may have seen some of your videos. Glad to hear from you and perhaps make your aquaintance soon.

I will give you a shout thru s-driver when I get to Sebring. As you may know, I am pretty far from there right now.

slinger688 03-05-2013 12:51 PM

I will not post a pic of my car but this is a pic of the minivan that hit me.

http://us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/ya/down...Inbox&inline=1

Eddie07S 03-05-2013 06:47 PM

Hmmmm, can't seem to be able to see the picture.

slinger688 03-05-2013 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 3692567)
Hmmmm, can't seem to be able to see the picture.

I can see it on my computer. I will try a reload.

slinger688 03-05-2013 07:19 PM

Also I just got the info back from the claims adjuster. It is a total loss. Bent the rear part of the frame and sheared off a bunch of bolts. Also sheared the Hotchkiss rear control arm in two. Additionally bent one AST rear shock, NM rear sway bar, aluminum trailing arm, and NM titanium lowering bar. The entire rear wheel and hub is gone too.

Let me see how much they will sell it back to me for. Perhaps I can part it out.

slinger688 03-05-2013 07:21 PM

Reload, the Kia Mini van after it t-boned the barrier:

http://us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/ya/down...Inbox&inline=1

S-Driver 03-06-2013 04:35 AM

Might be able to swing a deal with SCHAO for Vivians's JCW Clubman......think they are going to sell soon.

Eddie07S 03-06-2013 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by slinger688 (Post 3692597)
Also I just got the info back from the claims adjuster. It is a total loss. Bent the rear part of the frame and sheared off a bunch of bolts. Also sheared the Hotchkiss rear control arm in two. Additionally bent one AST rear shock, NM rear sway bar, aluminum trailing arm, and NM titanium lowering bar. The entire rear wheel and hub is gone too.

Let me see how much they will sell it back to me for. Perhaps I can part it out.

Sorry about your car...I appreciate having had the opportunity to have driven it, even if it was only around the park at my house.

I have it in some of my videos, doing what it did best, blowing by me at WGI like I was standing still.

This is probably best, though. It is hard to imagine that any amount of suspension damage could be reliably fixed. Just look at what has happened to S-driver's car from just hitting a traffic cone....:lol:

slinger688 03-06-2013 04:14 PM

Not sure what my next car will be. But we will wait for a while before deciding. Will be traveling a fair bit in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime we have the Porsche 911 for Costco duties. Will probably bring the other Porsche here to tie us over for a while.

slinger688 03-06-2013 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 3693310)
Sorry about your car...I appreciate having had the opportunity to have driven it, even if it was only around the park at my house.

I have it in some of my videos, doing what it did best, blowing by me at WGI like I was standing still.

This is probably best, though. It is hard to imagine that any amount of suspension damage could be reliably fixed. Just look at what has happened to S-driver's car from just hitting a traffic cone....:lol:

S-driver has a Cinderella car. One hit and it is a full blown track car. I remember he said it was a pretty solid cone.

What did you think of that crazy pic I e-mailed all of you. Imagine the barrier was on my side of the road.