Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Paint damage

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 04:54 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paint damage

OK, maybe this goes beyond the realm of detailing and straight to the body shop, but here goes:
Just removed Basil's bonnet stripes. They've been on the car for who-knows-how-long, as I bought him pre-owned. Seems that the "GRAPHIC ARTIST" who installed them chose the cut 'em on the car approach. Now I have not only differential fade, but a really nice series of horizontal and vertical razor blade cuts in the paint.
Anyone have any experience in knocking down the edges and filling with wax? Or am I just dreaming and hoping?

Old 02-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Bera
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that sucks, now i'm worried about taking mine off haha!

Old 02-09-2007, 06:33 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if it's not too deep you can polish it out with some scratchx.

cotton pad with some elbow grease should do the trick goodluck.
wax afterwards.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:32 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep...I had a similar problem. A guy cut a clear bra onto my MINI. I had some real deep cuts too...real deep. The installer had a guy buff them out. Most of them are gone. (There are two left, but I think he just over looked them, so I'll probably have them buffed too.) BTW...if these are anything like mine, ScratchX won't work. ScratchX is by far one of my favorite products, but a razor blade is a completely different animal. The two scratches that are left weren't as deep as the rest, and I used two bottles of ScratchX and a good 15-20 hours of my time with no luck. For a week, I spent every spare minute of my life outside with the scratchX...my neighbors probably thought I was crazy. No doubt...they're smaller (the scratches....not my neighbors ), but they're still there. ...and I was sore for a good week.

If I were you, I would find a good detailer around your area. Have him/her buff them out, and all should be well. This will probably take care of the differential fade problem too. ....what ever you do, I wouldn’t price shop on something like this. A bad buff job can leave your paint nice and swirled...and lets face it...you’re going to take off some clear coat in order to buff the scratches out. You don't want to have to take your MINI to someone else to buff off even more paint in order to fix swirls. That's just my opinion though. When I was calling around...prices were around $80 for my hood. You might consider having the detailer do your entire car too. Everything would be nice, shiny, and new. Autopia is a pretty good place to start looking for a reputable detailer near you. Good luck.