Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

My Head is Spinning!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 11:14 AM
litabelle
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Head is Spinning!

Okay, relative car-wash newbie here. Give me a break, all of my other cars have been BIG. I'm SHORT. My baby is just the right size for me to take a hand in exterior care. (I can touch the roof! ) I have a few questions (and forgive me if this is a repeat - just point me in the right direction).

What exactly is the Zaino (sp?) product. What is it made of, what is its job, etc. How does that compare to this Turtle Wax ICE I've also been reading about? Do they do the same thing, or do you do one after the other?

My husband and I Zainod the cars yesterday, put 3 coats on. (My Baby Fayt feels like a baby's bottom!) Do I need to do more or am I good for a while? What is the "proper" way to do things?

Thanks for the input,
Leeta

Old 08-13-2006, 11:53 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by litabelle
What exactly is the Zaino (sp?) product. What is it made of, what is its job, etc. How does that compare to this Turtle Wax ICE I've also been reading about? Do they do the same thing, or do you do one after the other?
Your going to find two wax camps here ... carnauba or synthetic (specifically zaino). I have no idea why this culture likes Zaino because other car cultures don't have the same zeolots that I have seen

To get a good idea, read here http://autogeek.net/carwax.html

In that article, the synthetic is referred to as a sealant.

The bottom line is this and Agranger, Brad and the other Gurus ... know more than me. ...

Synthetics last LONGER, not not necessarily the best shine
Carnaubas last SHORTER, any may be a deeper shine

Lately, there seems to be trends to go to synthetics such as the Klasse Twins first (a polish then a sealant) followed by a layer or so of pure carnaube.

Using Zaino will last much longer

There is no right or wrong answer. Whatever makes you happy. Here is the best quote I've read ....

"Paint sealants are formulated to mimic the level of depth and wetness that a good car wax produces, but just a select few can even come close, in my opinion. On the other hand, today’s paint sealants (the quality ones) last six to eight months(!), and will not melt, wash off or wear away. If you demand the best look, go with a high quality pure Carnauba wax, like Pinnacle Souverän. If you’re after long-lasting protection (that looks remarkably close to a Carnauba wax finish), go with one of the latest paint sealants"