Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Ran Over Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:41 AM
BluGnat
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ran Over Paint

On my way to work today, I evidently ran over spilled paint on the highway. It's a light grey, so it looked like a weird wet spot on the lane - but when I drove through it (sadly, couldn't avoid it), it was extremely slippery. When I got to work, I have paint all over my tires, and of course the spray from the tires on the car. I tried to lick a finger and wipe it off - no dice. My husband said he can goof off/clay bar it off. I wanted to check in to see if anyone has any good advice on products/methods for fixing this sort of super upsetting paint ordeal? It's my understanding that MINI paint can be delicate? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:29 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
The BMW top clear coat is extremely hard according to many paintless repair folks I have talked with. If the paint you rain over was latex based you should be able to get if off with out doing damage to your car.

The following users liked this post:
BluGnat (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 11:42 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
yeah, clay bar with a lot of lubricant so it won't stick or get a polish that removes scratches and blems to remove it.

Both ways you will need to follow up with a coat of wax

The following users liked this post:
BluGnat (05-22-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 02:22 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
hubby probably already knows but some experimenting to determine what kind of paint it is will help find the right solution

if it was 'house paint' like a latex there are special paint removers available but goo-gone, goof-off and even WD-40 will probably melt it and won't harm the clear/paint .... follow by cleaning all the solvent off and then re-wax.

Problems can develop if it is NOT latex and these known solvents don't work. Pure mineral spirits can be used but don't let them sit on the paint any longer than necessary as this WILL eventually soften the clear.

If this paint was in fact a primer your problem could be more severe.

Clay or rubbing compound can remove any of the above BUT remember even clay is an abrasive .... which means you are removing something .... in this case the bad paint but ALSO good clear. You might consider engaging the services of an experienced/trusted detailer because full of buffing could be required in a worst case ....

and we have not discussed paint on plastic trim like wheel wells yet ....

+++++++++++

I accidentally ran thru fresh yellow road stripes once and it splashed up the side of the car .... fortunately was on my way home and had a can of 'spirits' in the garage.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:15 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by BluGnat
On my way to work today, I evidently ran over spilled paint on the highway. It's a light grey, so it looked like a weird wet spot on the lane - but when I drove through it (sadly, couldn't avoid it), it was extremely slippery. When I got to work, I have paint all over my tires, and of course the spray from the tires on the car. I tried to lick a finger and wipe it off - no dice. My husband said he can goof off/clay bar it off. I wanted to check in to see if anyone has any good advice on products/methods for fixing this sort of super upsetting paint ordeal? It's my understanding that MINI paint can be delicate? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Simply lighter fluid. No damage to the clear coat.