Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Basic Simple Washing/Drying/Waxing/Quick Detaling

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 05:37 AM
MIKLOS
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basic Simple Washing/Drying/Waxing/Quick Detaling

Hello everyone

Alight, here's my dilema. I have a one month old 2005 PS MINI with black roof, mirrors and bonnet stripes, and am absolutely loving every minute of it!!!!!! When I picked it up at the dealership they had just waxed it but with what I don't know, I wasn't told. Will that affect what products that I purchase now? Here's my problem, I work very long hours and on the weekends don't find myself with a whole lot of free time because I'm either back at the office or I am out and about with my fiance doing things. Since I don't have a lot of extra free time to wash/wax/quick detail I'm wondering if someone out there could help me with what I need to buy to keep my MINI looking nice. I know to get but not where to get the washing mit and the microfiber waffle towels for drying but I'm not sure about what kind of car shampoo, wax, rim cleaner, and which quick detaling product to purchase to use in between waxes. Those are about the only steps that I'm going to have time for and that I can find time to handle. So here's my plan and let me know what you think:

1) Wash with car shampoo every couple weeks
2) Dry with micorfiber waffle towels
3) Wax (about 2 to 4 times per year)
4) Clean rims very often, weekly
5) Quick detail weekly or every other week to keep shine going

One other quick question, since I'm wanting to order these products this week, can anyone send me quick links to each of these products (washing mit, waffle towels, car shampoo, wax, quick detailer, rim cleaner) so I can just click and order? I'd really appreciate it. Please also include brand names of the products that match each of my above mentioned steps since I'm completely clueless with what's out there. You guys are great and thank you for the help!!!!!

Cheers
MIKLOS

p.s. Lived in Chicago my whole life and took trains everywhere before moving to South Florida where I need to purchase a car. Just explaining my cluelessness is all.

Old 10-06-2004, 02:48 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The site www.autopia-carcare.com has all of these products and some great 'how-to' info. I've purchased from them and they have great fulfilment and customer service.

Old 10-06-2004, 02:54 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
Zaino Brothers has great stuff and a good website with how-to info. They basically have one product for each purpose, so it's pretty easy to follow along. Here is the link: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Old 10-07-2004, 06:56 AM
apexer
6th Gear
I agree with the Zaino. Maybe you can get your fiance' to help you

Old 10-07-2004, 11:23 AM
BradB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Miklos, let me get you started with the basics:

Microfiber waffleweave drying towel. (Get two, they are on SALE!)
Genuine wool wash mitt. Plush, will not scratch. Good price.
Microfiber towels for polishing off wax and quick detailing.
Applicator Pads for applying wax

As much as I like Zaino also, I am going to suggest that you go with Klasse All in One. Given what you have told me about yourself, it will be faster, less steps and will last just as long. It is also good for several months protection. I like Klasse a lot. It also has good cleaning ability (Zaino doesn't) which will help you a lot for periodic touchups since you will be spending more bonding time with your fiance. (Where are your priorities?)

Quick detailer for Klasse. Very slick and shiny.
Wheel cleaner. This is great stuff.
Trim and rubber care. Nice medium/satin shine. Not super glossy or fake looking.

I could get into more but this should get you started!

Old 04-02-2005, 09:42 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
There is a thread in mini2.com that convinced me to use Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax or either Meguiar's NXT.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthrea...light=meguiars