Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

ResistAll ? >.<

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 09:03 AM
XBarbarian
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ResistAll ? >.<

hey all

took delivery of a 16 Clubman last month. dealer of course jacked me with the $1000 resistall treatment.

in the past, I've been a big fan of polymer shines.. Zaino specifically.

should I strip the resistall...dawn, claybar, etc.. best I can tell, it's also a polymer.. or can I get away with a good cleaning, claybe, then apply Zaino ( a polymer) over it?

anyone with experience with the resistall?

Old 09-15-2016, 09:56 AM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Depends if the resistall is ceramic/nano type or polymer based. For polymer you can probably just strip it using alcohol/solvents/wax strippers. If it's ceramic/nano, then you'll have to polish it off. You can test to see which one it is by trying to strip one part of the car with solvents/alcohol. Then hose it down and see if the beading is consistent with the rest of the car. If it is, then you most likely have a ceramic/nano based sealant and you'll need to polish it. If not, then you're in luck.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:23 AM
XBarbarian
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GEMSTER
Depends if the resistall is ceramic/nano type or polymer based. For polymer you can probably just strip it using alcohol/solvents/wax strippers. If it's ceramic/nano, then you'll have to polish it off. You can test to see which one it is by trying to strip one part of the car with solvents/alcohol. Then hose it down and see if the beading is consistent with the rest of the car. If it is, then you most likely have a ceramic/nano based sealant and you'll need to polish it. If not, then you're in luck.
good info, thank you Gemster!

Old 09-17-2016, 01:39 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just looked this stuff up and I doubt it's ceramic. The entire kit sells for $20 on eBay which includes paint protectant, leather protectant, fabric protectant, window cleaner and car wash.

If you clay the car and or a solvent as described above, it seems like it should come off.

Sorry you got stuck paying for it. Can't stand when dealers do that stuff.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:17 AM
XBarbarian
1st Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Mini
Just looked this stuff up and I doubt it's ceramic. The entire kit sells for $20 on eBay which includes paint protectant, leather protectant, fabric protectant, window cleaner and car wash.

If you clay the car and or a solvent as described above, it seems like it should come off.

Sorry you got stuck paying for it. Can't stand when dealers do that stuff.
ya, it's practically unavoidable here in FL. at least the application of these craptastic products. now some folks are better negotiators then me ( I suck at that) and don't pay the padded $999 or whatever, but the products on there... pure profit for the dealer.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:18 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by XBarbarian
ya, it's practically unavoidable here in FL. at least the application of these craptastic products. now some folks are better negotiators then me ( I suck at that) and don't pay the padded $999 or whatever, but the products on there... pure profit for the dealer.
Well at least you're getting it done right in your own now.

The clay bar and a polish (if needed) ahould set the paint up nicely for a good sealant or wax.

There are plenty of great products out there so enjoy. I love the detailing process since you get to spend some time in the car and get a visible reward for your efforts. Great easy way to get to know the car.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:01 AM
XBarbarian
1st Gear
Indeed! and, its good exercise~

Old 10-03-2016, 08:17 PM
MrElusive
2nd Gear
Wash the car, clay bar the car, and then apply an all in one cleaner wax, such as Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

Maintain the shine with a spray wax after each wash, and please, don't take it to any machine wash. Just hand wash the vehicle at home, preferably with a quality wash mitt, any decent car wash soap, and a bucket with a Grit Guard at the bottom.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:37 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MrElusive
Wash the car, clay bar the car, and then apply an all in one cleaner wax, such as Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

Maintain the shine with a spray wax after each wash, and please, don't take it to any machine wash. Just hand wash the vehicle at home, preferably with a quality wash mitt, any decent car wash soap, and a bucket with a Grit Guard at the bottom.

Oh man, Autoglym SRP... I haven't seen anyone reference that one in years. I loved when the local Pep Boys carried the Autoglym line. Good stuff and usually on sale. Oh the memories.

The SRP is great as an all in one. It doesn't last terribly long, but does have a ton of polishing oils that will mask any swirls that the mild abrasive doesn't correct. I used to use that and then throw the Ultra Deep Shine or High Def wax over it. Made my Dark Silver MINI really pop.

Since SRP is really tough to find stateside these days, give the Blackfire Total Polish and Seal a try. Really similar result and about the same effort (minus the notorious SRP chemical smell).

Old 10-05-2016, 07:48 PM
MrElusive
2nd Gear
Lol yeah it's an oldie but a goodie. I recommended it because it's easy on, easy off, hazes up quick, and gets the job done. Price is good, so you can't go wrong.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:16 AM
XBarbarian
1st Gear
thanks guys. Im a super fan of Zaino, as I have used it off and on for a good 8+ years. really easy application and removal. polymers seem to last way way better in FL's sun, than carnaubas, etc. my main question was around this ResistAll stuff the dealers apply. and how best to handle it's presence on my new baby before I begin my own polishing regime