Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

can you use clay on top of newly applied Epic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 03:18 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
can you use clay on top of newly applied Epic?

I just washed and Epic'd my car ....but now I see ( feel) a section that is crying out to be clayed.....so:

Can I just clay an area that is newly applied with Epic today, then rinse/dry then reapply Epic ...or do I need to remove the Epic first with diluted alcohol prior to claying?

Old 03-27-2016, 08:15 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
No problem with your plan. Clay bar's job is to remove solid contaminants from the paint surface. What do you plan to use for a lubricant? Not familiar with epic and it's cohorts but I'm sure there is a quick shine product that would work precluding the need to re-apply the epic.
For a reference, I use Griot's products. Their Speed Shine is the recommended lubricant for their clay. It works on top of any wax between washings for a show room shine and is buffed off with a fine micro fiber cloth. The epic folks must have something similar.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Not familiar with epic and it's cohorts but I'm sure there is a quick shine product that would work precluding the need to re-apply the epic.

How does the clay remove solids on the paint UNDER the EPIC, without removing thee EPIC?

That would be a neat trick . . .

Clay works like a super fine rubbing compound ... it is an abrasive that also 'grabs' the contaminant. It will remove any topcoat but stripping wax b4 clay is wise else the clay must absorb the wax (or other top coat) making the clay less effective faster . . .

Curious about Griots products (which I have used b4), yes they recommend their Speed Shine as 'lube' (all you really need is soapy water) ... but I don't see any place where they imply Speed Shine used as lube would preserve a wax or other top coat. They say:

Regardless of how clean you think your paint is, there are still contaminants stuck on the paint that you need to remove before waxing or polishing your paint. Paint Cleaning Clay leaves behind an ultra-smooth surface that will make your wax adhere better and last longer, too. Clay is safe for all paint. To use, just remove the clay from the wrapper, spray the paint's surface with Speed Shine® (acts as a lubricating fluid), and rub the clay back and forth

I may be mis reading prev' post to say the clay won't remove the EPIC ... and just be saying a detail spray can restore the shine which is true up to a point. Would you skip the EPIC and just use detail spray over the entire car?

Clay will remove the "wax" . . . . if you use the clay in an area you only need to reapply in that area . . . my 2 cents and no change expected

Last edited by Capt_bj; 03-29-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:16 PM
MrElusive
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't matter if you use alcohol/water mix before claying or not. The clay will remove most of the Epic regardless.

Just clay the area and re-apply the Epic to that area. Best to do this procedure to an entire panel and not just the 'area' that still feels rough so you don't miss any spots.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:04 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The folks above have it right. The clay will remove the epic, so retreat after claying.