Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Remove Wax residue from Wheel molding

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:48 PM
jf7fsu
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THe Magic Eraser gets all resideue off with no fuss and no muss. You don't need all those oils and chemicals. 1-2-3 gone. Available in your local supermarket.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:39 AM
Beebe
3rd Gear
I had some pesky wax residue on the highly textured plastic along the roofline. BW did not take it off, peanut oil did not take it off. I even tried some of the more unique suggestions like mineral oil. What finally worked was 91% isopropyl alcohol scrubbed with a toothbrush (leaves it looking pale and dull) followed by cleaning with Wizard's black renew (again with the toothbrush) and lastly Black Wow (sesame seed sized speck).

I've found Black Wow to be an excellent protectant against getting wax on the plastic in the first place.:impatient I'm not having any of the dust attracting issues that some have mentioned.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:51 AM
fastfritz
2nd Gear
Clean WAX off wheel trim.

Sure fire way. Use peanut butter on waxy spots. Apply a little and wipe it off. Works every time. Two caveats, Don't use chunky and dogs will sniff
and lick your trim. Try it it works.
FastFritz

Old 03-11-2008, 11:41 AM
aznqtboy984
5th Gear
I just used the peanut butter method this past weekend. I was very surprised how fast and easy the wax residue came off.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:46 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup peanut butter works. Now a better use of our time would to be figure out the scientific reason for this and to concentrate the effective component - thus eliminating the dog issues.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:01 AM
accce
2nd Gear
Mr. Clean eraser

Old 03-28-2008, 12:05 PM
greengobln
5th Gear
peanut oil

Old 03-28-2008, 02:26 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by MiniMaybee
Yup peanut butter works. Now a better use of our time would to be figure out the scientific reason for this and to concentrate the effective component - thus eliminating the dog issues.
One would think that the oil in it is the reason, but others think it is dogs licking it off I don't think the 2 can ever be separated

Mark

Old 03-28-2008, 02:48 PM
accce
2nd Gear
http://www.homemadesimple.com/sites/...ra_power.shtml
magic eraser
oil just covers the stuff up

Old 04-10-2008, 10:05 PM
loadtoad
3rd Gear
Had anybody tried using peanut butter or alcohol on the soft trim around the roof of the car? That is where I have the nasty white wax residue and wanted to get some feedback before I go buck wild.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:13 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have found griots rubber cleaner to get the wax off the trip around the roof pretty good...does require some scrubbing, but it gets the caked on wax off nice

Old 04-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Goodwood
3rd Gear
caked wax on paint?

All you folks seem to have some good ideas for removing wax from trim, how about from paint?

I have numerous tiny, tiny rock chips on the front of the bonnet, very common... when I wax the car the wax stays in those little pinhole sized chips and turns white... not very pretty on Velvet Red or British Racing Green... if I ever get another MINI it will be Pepper White, so the wax will just blend in! But I digress....

1) What's a good way to get the wax out, then

2) How can I wax the bonnet so as not to start the whole process all over again?

I've tried rubbing alcohol and a wash-cloth to get the wax out, doesn't seem to harm the paint, evaporates quickly, but doesn't do a great job removing the wax.... maybe I just haven't tried long enough?

Thanks

Old 04-13-2008, 10:25 AM
lotsie
Banned
Goodwood, alcohol will work, or dawn soap, depending on what wax you are using. Use a toothpick to work it out. You really should fill those chips with paint though. You can get touch-up paint from the dealer, just don't use the brush that comes with it, loads to much paint. I use a toothpick, putting 2-3 thin layers on. I also have a BRG.

Mark

Old 04-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Goodwood
3rd Gear
no good with touch up

I've never been any good with touch-up paint... I always get too much and that's no good. I was hoping to find a way to get the old wax out and find a new wax that doesn't dry white.

The chips are small enough and light enough so that they're just in the clear-coat. None of them go through to the primer or metal. They're all just big enough to hold on to the wax when I buff... and I'm talking about 40-50 or more of these little things.

I suppose I could polish them all out, but I always like to start with the least aggressive way first.

Anybody know of a wax that dries clear? A decade ago when I was into BMWs, everybody used a two-stage Zymol product... clean the paint then wax it... I've still got some of that Zymol wax, but it won't stick or bond with the paint unless the paint has been cleaned perfectly... I may try that if I can get the old wax out. I'll try the Dawn you suggest.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:16 AM
IamPullied
1st Gear
Lysol wood cleaner, takes off anything on the plastic

Old 05-12-2008, 08:08 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
I am very happy I stumbled upon this thread...I just Epic'd my car again last week and after I was done that old turtle wax res that was on the trim the year before stood out like no other. I now have quite a few options to choose from.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:37 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
I tried the peanut butter job and it didnt work, hardly at all. Im going to try IA next.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:40 AM
kkcshipp
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Magic eraser from Mr. Clean takes it off in seconds and there is no residue. The great thing is you can use it on all your vinyl surfaces and seats inside the car also. Don't know what they are made of and I don't care, IT WORKS! I used it to get finger marks off my interior windshield pillars, and annoying marks off my door panels and I didn't get tennis elbow to do it. I read on here where somebody was going to mask off their care with tape? C'mon, get a box of these at your local Wal-Mart or elsewhere. Too Easy!

Old 01-09-2009, 11:27 AM
MeliaAndSam
1st Gear
Slightly veering off the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam <--magic eraser

But yeah, I've got those white marks on our trim right now, and it sucks. Used BW prior to waxing too. I'm gonna try the PB solution first...mainly because it sounds tasty.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
magic eraser is an abrasive foam. it will remove paint and surfaces.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
What wax did you use that you got those marks from? And while it's great you used BW, did you wipe off the wet wax from the BW treated trim? Or did you leave it on to dry? All the BW does, it make the wax/polish easier to remove.

Originally Posted by MeliaAndSam
But yeah, I've got those white marks on our trim right now, and it sucks. Used BW prior to waxing too. I'm gonna try the PB solution first...mainly because it sounds tasty.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:40 PM
kkcshipp
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
magic eraser is an abrasive foam. it will remove paint and surfaces.
Read the Wikipedia message and great, but it works and none of my paint was harmed in the process. I'm not trying to take wax off my clear coat. It gets the wax off...With the chips from rocks etc. it can't harm that plastic. I'm going to order some Black Wow off Amazon though because I saw the video of it. Wished it were in my local Autozone so I wouldn't have to pay shipping etc. though.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:44 PM
kkcshipp
3rd Gear
BTW, I use it on the plastic on my Jeep Wrangler also and plan on using the Black Wow there because it sits in the weather all day. Does BW work on restoring (my term) the rubber molding around windows of the doors? My wife's car moldings (pure rubber) has seen better days.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:36 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
BW was designed and intended for us on plastic, not rubber. You can use it there, but you will most likely be disappointed in how long it lasts on rubber.

Richard

Originally Posted by kkcshipp
BTW, I use it on the plastic on my Jeep Wrangler also and plan on using the Black Wow there because it sits in the weather all day. Does BW work on restoring (my term) the rubber molding around windows of the doors? My wife's car moldings (pure rubber) has seen better days.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:08 PM
kkcshipp
3rd Gear
I'm still going to buy it. I'll wait for you to invent the other.

Quick Reply: Remove Wax residue from Wheel molding