Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

How to remove r56 floor

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 03:05 AM
po.go
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove r56 floor

Hello, first post here.
Glad owner of a '12 r56 S, ex buddy of mine spilled some thick soy sauce onto the floor behind and under the front passenger seat.
Removing the seat isn't hard, apparently, but I fear the sauce has gotten deeper into the flooring than I expected, given the lackluster results of my first cleaning.
I got a cost analysis from a professional firm and they said it'd be around 300$ to clean it.
So here's the question: how do i remove the underseat flooring to wash it?
Is it all in one piece or is is cut in different parts?

Thank you

Luke

Old 03-08-2016, 09:23 AM
socc3rmaniak
Neutral
Unscrew the seat and leave all electrical components plugged in to avoid issues with airbags (if seats are equipped). Lift and move seat backwards to give you access then maybe use a carpet washing vac? That's what I would do.

Oh, and maybe don't eat in the car next time :P

Old 03-08-2016, 09:51 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I'd just hit it with some good carpet shampoo and a wet vacuum. You can hit it with some water and a wet vac first to get the big stuff out and then go back over it with a shampoo and a brush to scrub at it and then use the wet vac to suck it all up. I'd repeat this set a few times until it's all gone. I have done this many times and had thick soy sauce spilled onto my cloth seat before. You could also use something like this Adam's product here: http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-carp...y-cleaner.html.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-12-2016, 08:22 AM
po.go
Neutral
Update:
Had the seat removed and cleaned the patch where soy spilled twice, both times with enzyme cleaners and wet vacuums. Smell and, most interestingly, taste, still persist.
A big garage in my area offered me to completely remove the carpeting from the car (with all the labor this entails, so removal of both seats, center console, most interior side trims) for 250€, while another reputable garage told me "they'd never do such a thing, it would be a ripoff".

Honestly don't know what to do. I know the smell will get much worse in the summer.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:23 AM
po.go
Neutral
Originally Posted by socc3rmaniak
Unscrew the seat and leave all electrical components plugged in to avoid issues with airbags (if seats are equipped). Lift and move seat backwards to give you access then maybe use a carpet washing vac? That's what I would do.

Oh, and maybe don't eat in the car next time :P
I wasn't eating :/ I just had the bottle in my rear cupholder. Friend most probably accidentally bumped it when he was getting out of the back and didn't notice.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:00 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I still don't think it's necessary in my mind. My first job back when I was younger was a detailer. I worked on some gnarly stains and spills in cars. Using a well versed carpet shampoo and going over them a few times with that, a carpet brush, and a wet vac did the trick. You might have to treat the area a few times. Might also want to let it soak before sucking it up. Use the brush in circular motions and put some weight into it. Like The Karate Kid, wax on - wax off. I've even had to do this when I spilled motor oil on the carpet. Now that was a pain to get everything out of.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST