Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

VERY rough body surface

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:21 AM
AYEBOY
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VERY rough body surface

So after picking up our MCS from a previous owner, we quickly realized that its likely that the car was probably not regularly washed and detailed. As a result there is a lot of buildup and grime on certain surfaces that do not come off with a regular wash... particularly on the trunk/bumper area. What is the best way to get rid of this and get the surfaces back to that smooth showroom condition? Not sure I want to take it to a detailer just yet in fear of messing it up completely. Thanks!!

Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 AM
jibber11
4th Gear
Easiest DIY to start with would be clay bar it.

Go to any auto parts store and pick up a kit, it works wonders and is kinda tough to screw up.

You'll need to re-polish/re-wax it afterwards.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Not sure I want to take it to a detailer just yet in fear of messing it up completely

hmmmm, not sure I follow this logic ... a good detailer should be the guru to ensure you don't mess it up.

But if you want to DIY, concur that a clay bar is probably the right place to start. I'd give a good wash with DAWN first, this should remove any old wax and there's no use in clogging up a clay bar with old wax. THEN use the clay according to directions on the package. If you don't have enuf lube spray, just use detailer spray or soapy water - made with an auto wash soap tho. The clay SHOULD bring the finish to a good smooth . . if not, you probably want to find a good detail guy, but ask around to ensure you find a good one. He'll probably need to go to a rubbing compound and a buffer, or that's what I'd do anyway, and this CAN screw things up in the wrong hands.

My bet is clay will solve your problem tho unless what's on the car is paint over spray or something like that.

btw - you can do a 6 inch square section and decide if it working or a waste of time b4 investing more time . . .

brand of clay doesn't really matter. You'll usually find Meguires and/or Mother's at decent auto part stores. Technically, you can go to a craft store and get kids modeling clay and just use soapy water as the lube. That usually costs 1/10th what the auto part store package does!

Old 10-11-2012, 02:32 PM
fenderless 33
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amen to the cost Capt. I pick mine up at street rod meets. Mothers kit was 19.95 at O'Realy's and I can get them for 700 to 8.00 at most meets. Ayeboy could also try compund by had if not used to a buffer.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
If clay bar sounds too intimidating, go visit Richard aka octaneguy here on NAM for a video demo on using clay. It is easy to do and makes a world of difference.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:30 PM
AYEBOY
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jibber11
Easiest DIY to start with would be clay bar it.

Go to any auto parts store and pick up a kit, it works wonders and is kinda tough to screw up.

You'll need to re-polish/re-wax it afterwards.
thankyousir! will give it a try.

Originally Posted by Capt_bj
Not sure I want to take it to a detailer just yet in fear of messing it up completely

hmmmm, not sure I follow this logic ... a good detailer should be the guru to ensure you don't mess it up.

But if you want to DIY, concur that a clay bar is probably the right place to start. I'd give a good wash with DAWN first, this should remove any old wax and there's no use in clogging up a clay bar with old wax. THEN use the clay according to directions on the package. If you don't have enuf lube spray, just use detailer spray or soapy water - made with an auto wash soap tho. The clay SHOULD bring the finish to a good smooth . . if not, you probably want to find a good detail guy, but ask around to ensure you find a good one. He'll probably need to go to a rubbing compound and a buffer, or that's what I'd do anyway, and this CAN screw things up in the wrong hands.

My bet is clay will solve your problem tho unless what's on the car is paint over spray or something like that.

btw - you can do a 6 inch square section and decide if it working or a waste of time b4 investing more time . . .

brand of clay doesn't really matter. You'll usually find Meguires and/or Mother's at decent auto part stores. Technically, you can go to a craft store and get kids modeling clay and just use soapy water as the lube. That usually costs 1/10th what the auto part store package does!

thanks for the tips! I've heard stories abt detailers leaving swirl marks and making things worse.

Originally Posted by fenderless 33
Amen to the cost Capt. I pick mine up at street rod meets. Mothers kit was 19.95 at O'Realy's and I can get them for 700 to 8.00 at most meets. Ayeboy could also try compund by had if not used to a buffer.
thanks!! will try the clay. Using polishing compound is almost an art that I don't have the time to perfect!

Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
If clay bar sounds too intimidating, go visit Richard aka octaneguy here on NAM for a video demo on using clay. It is easy to do and makes a world of difference.
thanks dude! vids always help!!

Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks! Here is a video I made on using claybar.

Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick

Old 10-18-2012, 08:44 PM
AYEBOY
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Thanks! Here is a video I made on using claybar.

Thanks Richard!! Will need to get me some clay.