Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Poll - How do you clean your exterior plastic molding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 12:05 PM
countrym
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody have favorite products or recommendations for a good way to clean the black plastic exterior molding on my MCS?

I got some Zymol on it this weekend. Whoops. Haven't had time to attempt to remove it yet.

And if anyone tells me to use the search function I'm going to come over to their house and punch them out.

Old 03-08-2004, 12:29 PM
kumquat78
3rd Gear
try to sear..... oh wait.....

I got some zymol on the trim within the first month of ownership, and have yet to remove it. I tried WD-40, dawn, simple green, zaino tire gloss.

I hear peanut butter actually does the job quite well, not the chunky style of course. I just have yet to get up the nerve to have the neighbors watch me making a sandwich outta the MINI.

Old 03-08-2004, 12:54 PM
AAAMINI
3rd Gear
I too have gotten zymol on my Jetta (MINI on its way...) and searched around and found a place that said to use rubbing alchol. I tried it and presto, wax gone! Hope this helps.

PS I think I also heard good things about a product called "Back to Black" but not sure who makes it...

Andy

Old 03-08-2004, 01:06 PM
g3
3rd Gear
I've used Back to Black. I think its a Mothers product. It seems to work pretty good although sometimes it takes more than one application. The wax spots show up after a wash sometimes.
I tried the peanut butter thing. It worked okay, but had to go back and reapply Back to Black anyway, so I just skippy (get it?) the peanut butter step

Old 03-08-2004, 01:08 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
Vinlyx. May take 2-3 applications, but it will get it off.

Old 03-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
The answer is Forever Black. I haven't found it in a store yet. You have to order it online. This stuff is amazing. Unlike Armor All or other products like that, it actually re-dyes your plastic. I had wax all over the trim on my old '93 Passat wagon and the plastic was a bit faded. Went over it twice with Forever Black and the wax marks disappeared and the plastic trim looked like brand new!!! Nice and black with just a hint of sheen (not shiny, just new looking). Best of all, one treatment lasts for MONTHS, unlike some other products where after it rains or you wash the car a couple times you have to reapply.

I can't say enough about this stuff. Just did my MINI with it a couple weeks ago and it still looks fantastic.

If you buy it though, DON'T buy the Forever Black tire gel thinking it will be equally as good. It is absolutely terrible.

Old 03-08-2004, 04:14 PM
BuckeyeMCS
5th Gear
When I first had that question I did a search and peanut butter came up and I used it and I liked it!

Old 03-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Pankeyguy
2nd Gear
I know this sounds very old fashioned, but I use a toothbrush! Clayed and waxed the MINI last week and was able to remove all residue with a toothbrush. Perhaps some waxes are harder to remove than others. If a stiffer brush is needed get a "denture" brush. It has a large flat side like a toothbrush and a pointy brush on the other side.

If you wonder why I like toothbrushes so much, look at my sig.

David P. De Rosier D.D.S.
Sunny San Diego, CA
2003 MCS DS/B

Old 03-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The nice thing about using peanut butter, is that once you apply it, you can have your dog remove it. His/her tongue is great for getting those last bits of wax out of the plastic surfaces

Old 03-08-2004, 05:07 PM
DanStoren
3rd Gear
Just for general upkeep of the exterior plastic, I use 303 Aerospace Protectant.

I researched NAM to come to that conclusion. Got it from Classic Motoring <something>. Great service. It came in the mail promptly.

Old 03-08-2004, 05:08 PM
BuckeyeMCS
5th Gear
>>The nice thing about using peanut butter, is that once you apply it, you can have your dog remove it. His/her tongue is great for getting those last bits of wax out of the plastic surfaces

Old 03-08-2004, 05:08 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
This what I find the best:

1. Wash the exterior black molding with normal car soap.
2. Use Creamy Peanut Butter to remove any wax
3. Apply Armour All, which won't dye the plastic, but will protect it and return a very nice shine.

This works wonders and my black molding still looks like it came off the showroom floor.

Old 03-08-2004, 05:10 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
Armor All + Time = The devil

Old 03-08-2004, 05:14 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Dishwashing soap and a toothbrush. Back to black covers it for a few days but then wears off. The best answer is to use Zymol to wax your car. It doesn't turn your black trim white. You can put it right on the wheel arches and it gives them a little shine.

Old 03-08-2004, 05:31 PM
meg
5th Gear
After washing the whole car I use Black Magic on the moldings and tires. Leaves a nice shine but only lasts a few days.

Old 03-08-2004, 05:35 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Buy this:

http://outmotoring.com/mini_exterior_trim_cleaner.html

They knew thay they had a problem when it came to wax residue on the trim so they created a product to sell to MINI owners...go figure...

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 03-08-2004, 05:41 PM
ylwjkt
3rd Gear
I second the vote for Vinylex. Works great on all the trim and the tires.

Old 03-08-2004, 05:42 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>Dishwashing soap and a toothbrush. Back to black covers it for a few days but then wears off. The best answer is to use Zymol to wax your car. It doesn't turn your black trim white. You can put it right on the wheel arches and it gives them a little shine.

That's odd, the original post said Zymol caused the problem.

R.E.

Old 03-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
I got a kick out of the peanut butter routine. My cat is diabetic and using creamy Skippy peanut butter is the only way I can get him to take his pills....he'd probably lick every bit off my car. After that think I'll try rubbing alcohol followed by Armour-All which is what I use now and like very much.....still, I've never been able to get 100% of the Zaino off.

Old 03-08-2004, 05:50 PM
D.J.
6th Gear
Griot's Garage makes a rubber cleaner that works great for the plastic molding. A few weeks back, I had to buff out a scratch on the fender and got some polish on the molding. Tried alot of stuff to get it off, but the only thing that worked for me was the rubber cleaner from Griot's Garage.

I called their company phone number and was pleased to talk with a service rep who knew what I was talking about when I exlpained the problem. They sent me the rubber cleaner, and the moulding looks like new again. I have used most of the car care products from this company and have been very pleased with the results.

http://www.griotsgarage.com or 800-345-5789

Old 03-08-2004, 06:10 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
>>>>Dishwashing soap and a toothbrush. Back to black covers it for a few days but then wears off. The best answer is to use Zymol to wax your car. It doesn't turn your black trim white. You can put it right on the wheel arches and it gives them a little shine.
>>
>>
>>
>>That's odd, the original post said Zymol caused the problem.
>>
>>R.E.
To quote another thread. I went out last week and put some on to test, no white. I don't know what happened to countrym.

>>Another tip - don't use Silicone-based waxes, the silicone is what the white residue is. Use high quality waxes like Zymol Carbon or Concours (not the Cleaner Wax), Zaino, Pinnacle, P21S, Klasse, et cetera.
>>
>>Motor-On,
>>Ryan

Ryan,

Actually, silicons are clear and do not dry white. If they did, our tires would be white from tire dressing. The white residue is normally created by cleaners (polish) in the wax. The reason the waxes you mentioned don't turn your trim white is because they do not contain cleaners.

~ David

Old 03-08-2004, 06:23 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Try using 70% isopropyl alcohol (ie, common rubbing alcohol) applied with a microfiber cloth. It may take several passes but you WILL clean the plastic! Just wait until the alcohol evaporates before starting the next pass. Of course, you should use a clean portion of the cloth for each pass.

After it's really clean, you can use something like Vinylex to condition and dress the vinyl.

I found that using the MF cloth is essential because the microfibers seem to trap and remove the wax/polymer residue. If you use any other kind of cloth, the residue just seems to get moved around from one place to another on the vinyl.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:54 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
Shoe polish.

Old 03-08-2004, 07:06 PM
hafid
6th Gear
Old 03-09-2004, 03:06 AM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
>>Just ordered some Forever Black:
>>

Hey Haf! Here's a few other tips. Don't worry about using that cleaner that they send along. As long as you wash your car really well before you apply, you'll get the same long lasting results.

Also, they tell you to mask off any painted areas to avoid getting the Forever Black on them. I don't bother with that. Just keep a rag handy in the off-hand chance you slip and get some on the paint. It wipes right off.

Enjoy. I think you'll love the results. I sure do.

Quick Reply: Poll - How do you clean your exterior plastic molding?