Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Wheel cleaners??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:46 PM
drftobin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel cleaners??

Anybody have any sugestions for a wheel cleaner, right now I am using
eagle one all wheel cleaner.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had good luck with the P21S stuff if they are really bad but for regular maintenance I just use regular auto shampoo and then use Wheel Armour about once a month.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:27 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont use wheel cleaners (just car shampoo) but if i had to, i would only use Griot's WheelCleaner which is certified by BBS.

i dont trust strong detergents on my non-OE wheels.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:13 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I use Griot's.

Probably wouldn't have to, since I use Prima Epic and Prima Slick on my wheels regularly. Could probably just wash and rinse with the normal car shampoo. But the Griot's makes the brake dust so much easier to remove.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine stay waxed but get daily wipedowns with foaming ammonia free glass cleaner and a micro.

Last edited by Oxybluecoop; 05-09-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:25 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
Mine stay waxed but get daily wipedowns with foaming amonia free glass cleaner and a micro.
Time for some ceramic pads, my friend. I used to be a Daily Wheel Wiper too. But no more !

Old 05-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm a die hard Daily MINI Wiper and it's just gonna get better having two.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:41 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
I'm a die hard Daily MINI Wiper and it's just gonna get better having two.
Yeah... wait until you get three of them. The Daily Wheel Wiper bit gets a little old.

Ceramic Pads FTW (for the wheels) !

Old 05-09-2009, 07:45 PM
drftobin
2nd Gear
I tried the Griots wheel cleaner, I thought it was 1 step above water.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:19 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try a 50/50 Solution of Simple Green and Water, spray on, let sit, wipe off. I do this pre-wash, then I come back and use my wash bucket and Griot's Tim's Dirty Spots Micro Fiber Wipe Down Towel to get them clean!!

Old 05-10-2009, 01:40 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
i use slick after each drive and hydro my wheels from time to time. on my
dd's after i wash the wheels with carshampoo, i spray it with hydro and wipe
down each time.

your glass cleaner will remove wax... so not sure if that is an
ideal solution (literally) to use.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:25 PM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I just replied to another thread from this dood.

I have no idea what the heck wheels he/she has and if they wash weekly. Minis brake dust = washed weekly or die. Daily wiping in morning before driving works best if one can stomach such a nuisance.

Griot's wheel cleaner is very effective. It just isnt toxic. If i go back to buying specialized wheel cleaner, this is the only one I would consider. p21s is supposedly supreme, but it costs a lot.

At this point, I spray on any patio cleaner, like simple green (dont bother diluting it) or this crap Goo-gone spray. its a degreaser, orange sort. I dont think it matters at all what you use besides the super acidic freak ones. The brake dust and road grime is so corrosive and terrible on wheels that what we put on (within reason) is wimpy-ness compared. That's my summation after 3 years now of my mini and detailing it clean from day 1.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 PM
drftobin
2nd Gear
Hey El Jefe {dude} I do wash the mini once a weekish, and use Eagle One all wheel cleaner and have for 3-4 years now with no damage to my wheels. I also have hot water connected to my hose which helps cut through the brake dust, and I am running EBC pads so my dust is low. The trick to using wheel cleaners is to not leave the on to long then they won't damage your wheels!I was just trying to get a feel for what other people out there are using. You seem to take this wheel cleaning stuff to heart, so sorry if I got you upset.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:46 PM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
If it says spray on, wait and wash right off no scrubbing, it has started to and will destroy your wheel finish. Not to mention corrode your car's metal body.

I used to be soooo concerned with hurting wheels. It just doesnt happen, go nuts, go CHEAP. Just its a freakin wheel. (the fancier the brand the better they seem to hold up to stronger cleaners too, like my old BBS wheels were champs against pitting and almost any chemical cleaner, my cheaper Konig Rewinds, while structurally, and asthetically great, the coating is a bit lacking in something and has started to bind to spots of brake dust.)

just dont go spray on spray off. My friend pro details cars and has stuff for wheels that does that effect. He says its the best for people who are pigs and want it all clean all of a sudden. the stuff he uses can only be on for a few SECONDS. lol. i hate to be near that stuff.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:37 AM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Try a 50/50 Solution of Simple Green and Water, spray on, let sit, wipe off. I do this pre-wash, then I come back and use my wash bucket and Griot's Tim's Dirty Spots Micro Fiber Wipe Down Towel to get them clean!!
+1. This is my new trick.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:08 AM
lawnboy
4th Gear
What's best to clean 17" Challenge Spoke Wheels?

For the 17" Challenge Spoke Wheels (mega spokes ), which of the following would be best:

1. Double or triple strength car wash solution in a spray bottle
2. Meguiar's D-Line Professional Wheel Brightener
3. Eagle One A2Z
4. Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner

Always like to finish them up with a poly spray like UPPS.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:56 PM
drftobin
2nd Gear
My friend brought over some stuff from the mini dealer he works @ talk about strong!!!! Its Purple I think its Car Kraft stuff WOW!!! We tested it out removes everything but its toooo strong. So FYI if the dealer is washing your car at a servise there using PURPLE RIM CLEANER O DEATH on your wheels LOL!!!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:20 AM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
Well, I have used in the past just car soap and a boar's bristle quality brush. Unfortunately, some point along the way, some bits started to bind. the winter was LONG this year in NY. I could not really get the wheels ever 100% clean (not even 90%). This had a bad effect :(. Now I must go to stronger stuff for a while to try and knock it out.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:06 AM
jeffc
7th Gear
I agree.

Originally Posted by drftobin
I tried the Griots wheel cleaner, I thought it was 1 step above water.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:05 AM
lawnboy
4th Gear
How exactly does this Double or triple strength car wash solution in a spray bottle work?

Old 05-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lawnboy
How exactly does this Double or triple strength car wash solution in a spray bottle work?
I mixed up the solution in a spray bottle and sprayed it on the wheels a couple of times before wiping with an old mitt. If your wheel are in pretty good shape, this solution with light but complete elbow grease seems to clean the wheels of all but the nastiest of crud and brake dust bits. This is when I need something a bit stronger.

My question is about accidently removing the wheel wax when cleaning. I have just applied my first coat of Wheel Armor ever on brand new wheels. As I search for something stronger to use when I need it (my old Crown Spokes), at what point do I end up stripping the wax and need to reapply?

I'm guessing the double/triple strength car was won't hurt the wax. Slick or other detail spray shouldn't hurt it either, but what about the dedicated wheel cleaners or the 50/50 Simple Green? When simply using Dawn detergent will strip wax, I'm wondering if almost any wheel cleaner will take the wax protection off?

Old 05-29-2009, 04:23 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My guess is yes. There is a caveat with that however, it shouldn't get to that point nearly as easily. The wax should help the brake dust not stick as much. If you just wash them with the car once a week you should be golden and not have to worry about it.

Originally Posted by Mini2na
My question is about accidently removing the wheel wax when cleaning. I have just applied my first coat of Wheel Armor ever on brand new wheels. As I search for something stronger to use when I need it (my old Crown Spokes), at what point do I end up stripping the wax and need to reapply?

I'm guessing the double/triple strength car was won't hurt the wax. Slick or other detail spray shouldn't hurt it either, but what about the dedicated wheel cleaners or the 50/50 Simple Green? When simply using Dawn detergent will strip wax, I'm wondering if almost any wheel cleaner will take the wax protection off?

Old 05-29-2009, 06:37 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Zaino Clear Seal

Zaino makes a product called "CLEAR SEAL" and all you do is wipe it on a clean wheel. It will dry and the brake dust does not stick on the wheel as bad as if nothing was on it. It is easy to use and makes the Wheels on my 2009 JCW sparkle. I use it on the whole car, Wheels and black plastic parts as well. I do the wheels about once a month or so.
Ronnie948

Old 05-30-2009, 05:56 AM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Currently been applying Werkstats Acrylic Jett spray to each week after cleaning them. Have also used UPPS which helps to keep them slick.

Do you normally just clean the wheel or the inside of it too?

Originally Posted by Mini2na
I mixed up the solution in a spray bottle and sprayed it on the wheels a couple of times before wiping with an old mitt. If your wheel are in pretty good shape, this solution with light but complete elbow grease seems to clean the wheels of all but the nastiest of crud and brake dust bits. This is when I need something a bit stronger.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:15 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lawnboy
Do you normally just clean the wheel or the inside of it too?
I just cleaned the outside of the the wheel on my Crown Spokes. I'm in my 3rd week with my Team Dynamic 1.2 and tried to clean the inside once, but boy was that a pain.

Quick Reply: Wheel cleaners??